Kilconquhar Castle & Country Club

Aug 30th, 2006, 08:34 PM
Original Poster

Kilconquhar Castle & Country Club

We have an opportunity to stay at this time share in Edinburgh. I was hoping someone would share their thoughts re this location- is it convenient, an upscale resort- is it to upscale for a middle class american couple??? Sounds funny, huh! All information is welcome- Mo
Aug 30th, 2006, 11:18 PM

You are lucky. It is absolutely wonderful. The location is in Fife close to Crail, Anstruther, Pittenweem, Falkland and of course St Andrews.

There are two types of accomodations - modern lodges in the grounds, and amazing apartments w/i the manor house itself. Once stayed in one of the largest flats - 3 bdrm, 2.5 baths, huge living room, lovely furniture/fittings. I'd guess the flat was about 1200+ square feet.

The lodges are fine too, but I personally prefer the flats.

I can't imagine anyone being uncomfortable staying there - what are your concerns???
Aug 31st, 2006, 08:39 AM

Oh - last night I should have added - This propertty definitely isn't IN Edinburgh. You may have seen it's listing on RCI or somewhere that says "nearest airport - Edinburgh" or some thing like that.

But Kilconquhar is about 45 miles by the shortest route, and a bit more if you stick to the coast, from central Edinburgh.
Sep 1st, 2006, 01:01 AM

The apartments are very nice but you will need a car if you want to do anything, as it is quite a bit away from everything else and the public transport is not good.
The drive to Edinburgh is over an hour - depending on Forth Road Bridge traffic.
Sep 1st, 2006, 05:08 AM

Actually - there is semi-decent public transport w/ buses stopping just outside of the grounds. You can get to St Andrews and the nearby fishing villages quite easily. But Meks is right, you really do need a car to do much exploring in Fife - or to do it efficiently.

But don't let the "quite a bit away from everything . . ." scare you at all. Kilconquhar is about 1.5 miles from Elie and Earlsferry, 4 miles from Anstruther, maybe 8 miles from Crail, 10 from St Andrews and 15 from Falkland. So it isn't really too far from anywhere in Fife. And w/ a car you can also visit all sorts of other areas -- places like Stirling, Glamis, Edinburgh, Perth make great day trips.