I've been digging through the archives and thought I'd consolidate some of the excellent questions/info I've found on this site.
I'm planning on going to Poland/Ukraine and other Eastern European countries next June, for Euro 2012. We have tickets to a match in Kiev (Kyiv) on June 19, and would like to be in the city for the Finals on July 1. This gives us about 1.5 weeks to play with.
We're having difficulty determining the following:
a) How to fly cheaply into Kiev
b) What other cities to visit. I would like to hit up Bratislava, and perhaps swing down through Slovenia and Croatia. I have been to Vienna and Budapest before, but am not against returning.
c) Depending on the answer to b), what is the best way to get around? Most people think night trains, but they can be upwards of 16 hrs, which seems a touch extreme. Would renting a car from just inside the Ukrainian border and driving to Kiev and back to the rental city, and then doing trains the rest of the way be worthwhile, or just a huge waste of time/effort?
Sorry for the verbal barfing of ideas in my head. I've been looking at maps and Fodor forums and googling airlines (Wizz Air, etc) for about 8 hrs and can't find any concrete solutions.
Cheers in advance
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 KODAK PRINTER 1800:681 :7208 CONTACTKODAK Techh care
- 2 YAHOO 1888:260 :2909 CONTACTYAHOO Techh care
- 3 Barcelona to Malaga
- 4 How to go up Schafberg Mountain when railway is closed
- 5 Trains - website?
- 6 Mid-May stay in Lauterbrunnen or Murren
- 7 Which Area in London?
- 8 Best area to stay in Amsterdam for a first time visitor
- 9 First time in Spain
- 10 Best Restaurant Birmingham
- 11 family trip to Germany and more
- 12 Visit to France
- 13 Ireland, public trans and my bicycle.
- 14 Can only visit one (maybe two) cities. Which one?
- 15 Overwhelmed with planning! Need help from Italy experts.
- 16 Packing Champagne
- 17 Christmas in Granada....food!
- 18 London 'Tube-less', Fine dining, Fun excursions plus a GTG
- 19 Paris Apartment
- 20 Lorie Valley and Beyond
- 21 Milan airport--which one
- 22 two days in Nice
- 23 Where to Visit in Normandy & Brittany
- 24 St, Goar or Bacharach
- 25 Trip Report: Italy with the bambinos!
Kiev (Kyiv) and surrounding cities - where to go (Euro 2012)