Reload this Page >

Kids in London & Paris

Search

Kids in London & Paris

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28th, 2002, 01:18 PM
Liz

Kids in London & Paris

Have traveled to both cities numerous times with other adults but will be going with 9 & 11 year old boys in early April. Any out of the ordinary sites or activities for kids?

Old Mar 1st, 2002, 01:35 AM
Tana

Hi.<BR>I don't have kids, but here are two suggestions if you haven't already been there:<BR>The London Transport Museum - There were lots of kids at this museum and they seemed to be enjoying themselves! There are lots of interactive exhibits and it's very colorful.<BR>The Natural History Museum - Really cool dinosaur exhibit, plus lots of interactive stuff. Even an adult will get a kick out of all the things you can see and do. <BR>Have fun!

Old Mar 1st, 2002, 03:08 AM
Patrick Wallace

The Science Museum (next to the Natural History Museum) in London is famed for its various gizmos and gadgets (all changed since I was a lad, and from I've seen on TV it looks pretty exciting). There's an equivalent at the Cit&eacute; des Sciences (Porte de la Villette) in Paris - if they're at all interested it might be worth encouraging them to compare the two. Likewise the London Eye vs the Eiffel Tower. Not very much out of the ordinary maybe - one thing I've never got round to doing is that the Paris Police apparently have a museum open to the public, but I don't know if the Scotland Yard equivalent is...

Old Mar 1st, 2002, 03:14 AM
xxxxx

Definitely do the frogtours in London - they are these wacky 1/2 boat, 1/2 truck things that go into the Thames and then drive around town. I think you can find info at www.frogtours.com -but they are closed till early april.<BR><BR>The aquarium is great if you have bad weather.<BR><BR>The tower of London beefeater tour is also great!

Old Mar 1st, 2002, 08:00 AM
elaine

I don't know about out of the ordinary, but my nephews of similar ages really enjoyed the Imperial War Museum.<BR>Aside from the displays of weapons, tanks, and submarines, there are two<BR>walk through "experiences" on <BR>the Trenches of WWI and the Blitz of WWII. Plenty of flashing lights, narrations, and the noise of pseudo-bombs.<BR>Also, I haven't been there but I understand that there is a London Fire Museum ( I don't know if it's THE London fire, or just fires in general) that's supposed to be pretty good.<BR>If you haven't done the Ceremony of the Keys, the nightly locking-up of HM's Tower of London, it's pretty neat for adults and kids. It only takes a half hour (although you have to arrive earlier) and it's both interesting and atmospheric. You have to write for tickets in advance and allow a few weeks for a reply.

Old Mar 1st, 2002, 08:25 AM
patg

There are some great tips for kids that age on <BR>http://www.ricksteves.com/graffiti/graffiti117.html

Old Mar 1st, 2002, 09:24 AM
Leslie

Took my kids to London two years ago. They were the exact ages of yours. Here's what they really enjoyed:<BR><BR>Talking to English people - so kind to us.<BR>Riding on the 'tube'<BR>Riding in those great London taxis<BR>Tower of London w/ the Beefeater Tour & the Crown Jewels<BR>Changing of the Guard at Buckingham Palace.<BR>'Round London/Big Bus sightseeing tour.<BR>Feeding pidgeons at Trafalgar Square<BR>Brass rubbing center - under St. Martin in the Fields Church<BR>London Transport Museum<BR>Mummies at the British Museum<BR>Natural History Museum<BR>Harrod's Food Halls<BR>The Royal Mews<BR>Climbing to the top of St. Paul's dome.<BR>Fancy afternoon tea at Fortnum & Mason's.<BR>Evening musical theatre production (we saw Beauty and the Beast - there's lots playing that could be appropriate for kids)<BR>We did do the Ceremony of the Keys but it was a bit late at night and 'low-key' (no pun intended) for the kids. Parents loved it, though. <BR><BR>The London Eye wasn't opened up at that time, but having just gone on it myself last week, I know my kids would have loved it! Also, ate at Wagamama's and know they would have loved that too.

Old Mar 1st, 2002, 12:10 PM
Shannon

My additional recommendations for London, having lived there with kids, is the practically unknown canal trips that go past the London Zoo to Camden Loch and back, and the London Zoo. Both in good weather (wait 5 minutes and it will come).<BR><BR>On Paris, where we go every other year with our son, who is 12 this year, aside from the Eiffel Tower, which is a given, the boys you are taking are at the age where the absolutely BEST adventure (morbid as it is) would be the Catacombs. We took our son there when he was 9, and again when he was 11 (with his cousins, then 13 and 15). That was the one thing they all talked about for weeks and told all their friends about when they returned home. Wear old sneakers and bring flashlights. It's lit up, but not well. Bring your camera too!

Old Mar 1st, 2002, 12:18 PM
Ronda

My teen girls enjoyed the view from the top of the Arc de Triomphe - watched the cars going around the Arch in the roundabout for quite some time trying to see if they were going to run into each other. They also liked the river boats which I thought were a big tourist trap.

Old Mar 1st, 2002, 12:18 PM
Susanq

We just returned from a trip to Paris and London with our kids (ages 11, 14). Last year we did just London. Here are the highpoints for our kids:<BR>London<BR>pubs for lunch - fish and chips<BR>Victoria & Albert museum - lots of 'stuff'<BR>British Museum - especially the Egyptian displays<BR>Theater<BR>Tower and Ceremony of the keys<BR>Imperial War Museum<BR>Hampton Court and Windsor Castle<BR>Kensington Palace<BR>St. Pauls - climbing to the top<BR>London Dungeon<BR><BR>Paris<BR>Eiffel Tower<BR>Catacombs - truly bizarre<BR>Notre Dame - climbing again<BR>Louvre - the building itself was astounding, we ended up going for a second afternoon<BR>Versailles<BR>day trip to Normandy D-Day beaches (my husband and son took this trip and loved it)<BR><BR>Have fun! <BR>

Old Mar 1st, 2002, 01:30 PM
Ben Haines

With the e-mail copy of this message I am attaching notes I keep on disc on London and Paris with children.<BR><BR>Welcome back<BR><BR>Ben Haines, London

Old Mar 2nd, 2002, 03:28 PM
dick

You've gotten some great ideas. I took my daughter, age 9, and did many of the things listed. She wouldn't go for the sewer tours in Paris - which I understand are quite interesting, perhaps more for boys - but we did go to DisneyParis for a break from the culture.

Old Mar 2nd, 2002, 05:08 PM
Catalina

No one has mentioned the London Dungeon, probably because it is so "touristy" but we bought a LondonPass and it was 1/2 price and the kids really enjoyed it. They also loved taking their photos with all the famous people at Madam Toussand's(sp?) wax museum in London. My son loved bouncing up & down on the giant trampolines nest to the London Eye. They also enjoyed the Jardin des Tulieries in Paris, as they got to be kids and go on rides. They loved the "carnival" atmosphere. Enjoy!