Dublin airport expertise needed, pls!

Old Aug 28th, 2003, 01:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dublin airport expertise needed, pls!

I have a 9;30am weekday international flight out of Dublin. I read wonderful things about Kilronan house & am booked. I have read about traffic in Dublin & have a concern. Am a early riser, so flight time is not an issue. Of course, the airlines recommend arriving 2 hrs prior, what is the reality? Also, what would be the best mode of transport at this early hour& how long will it take? Any insight,pls? Prefer to stay in the city but should I relocate closer to the airport, the nite before? Pls be kind & help me sort this out! Thx again Fodorites!
Old Aug 28th, 2003, 05:30 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
I flew out of Dublin in May and 2 hours was not enough to check in! I was in line for nearly 90 minutes. I would suggest getting there earlier, unless you like lines. If you grab a taxi before 7 a.m., the traffic isn't nearly as bad as you have heard.
Old Aug 28th, 2003, 07:36 AM

I have stayed at Kilronan House twice (it is wonderful). I recommend that you don't have a car in Dublin - I should have gotten rid of ours - Dublin is under lots of construction and a lot of the streets are one-way and blocked off - it is a ROYAL pain.

I HIGHLY recommend that you get to the airport early but the night before you leave, ask Terry (the owner of Kilronan House) to order you a taxi to pick you up in the morning and take you to the airport (he'll let you know when the taxi should come). If the traffic is good (and at 5:30 to 6:00am it usually is), it only takes a half hour or so.

By the way, because you are leaving early, Terry will probably leave a cold breakfast in your room. Enjoy!
Old Aug 28th, 2003, 08:35 AM
jor

We stayed in central Dublin and arranged for a taxi to pick us up at 4 AM. It took about a half hour to get to the airport. Traffic was light. No problems at all. Heed the 2 hour arrival advise.
Old Aug 29th, 2003, 01:31 AM
Original Poster

How much will a taxi cost, pls? Thx again for the help!
Old Aug 30th, 2003, 02:01 AM
Original Poster

ttt
Old Aug 30th, 2003, 02:44 AM

You need extra check in time in Dublin you have to clear US Customs in the Dublin Airport .Fill out the forms and go into a separate waiting area.