Kids clothing and churches

Jul 4th, 2001, 08:03 PM
dick

Kids clothing and churches

I'll be in Italy with my 9 year old daughter. Could anyone tell me what is appropriate dress for churches? Would a dress that has shoulder straps sort of like a tank top (hey, I'm a dad so I don't know the names of these things ) be ok? Any other tips would be great.

Thanks

Jul 4th, 2001, 08:17 PM
liz

Dick, pack along a light little sweater in a day pack for her. In the bigger towns you will need them, but in the smaller country churches they aren't quite so strick about it, although it is appreciated. I also remember in Santa Croce they were handing out large scarves to put around the women who weren't properly attired, but this isn't the norm. Also outside the Duomo in florence there will be many people trying to sell you scarves if you didn't come prepared.
Have a great trip, my daughters loved Italy and are heading back at the end of the month, we can't wait!

Jul 8th, 2001, 02:41 AM
sarah

Don't worry too much about your daughters attire. In Italy people are only expected to follow a dress code in churches once they are adults. Children can wear most things without any problem. ( within reason)!!

Jul 8th, 2001, 02:46 AM
Kavey

Dick

Liz mentions scarves herself.

My advice depends on weather.

If there is a chance of cooler weather then pack a light cardigan or top anyway, which she can wear in churches.

If it is likely to be too hot for that, pack a thin scarf, which will take up little space.

Also, she can wear it as a hair covering to protect from the sun, I have seen many young girls wearing scarves this way this year and it looks great.

Kavey

Jul 8th, 2001, 07:02 PM
dick

Thanks for all the suggestions.

We'll have a great time, especially from all the great tips here.