Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Kid Friendly Hotels in London (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/kid-friendly-hotels-in-london-234682/)

Boris Jun 26th, 2002 02:27 PM

Kid Friendly Hotels in London

My wife and I are headed to London, UK with our three kids. They are 5, 3 and 2 years old. Does anybody have any suggestions for reasonably priced hotels in good tourist locations that accomodate that many people. I am finding most hotels only have rooms for 2 people. I would like to avoid booking 2 rooms per night.

Jane Jun 26th, 2002 03:02 PM

The Wilbraham Hotel in Chelsea had a wonderful family room - although I can't remember exactly how much it cost us. We usually travel pretty cheap but I believe we spent a little more for this room but it is worth it. HUGE room. Two double beds and one single bed. Couch and stuffed chairs, TV. Fireplace. Floor to ceiling windows that were glazed so people outside could not look in. Wood panelling. Heated towel racks. The hotel is within walking distance of the Sloane Square tube stop.<BR><BR>I think we paid about $200 a night. But it could have been a bit more. The Wilbraham is made up of three townhouses that were put together to make a hotel. Very English, great atmosphere. I don't think they serve breakfast, though.<BR><BR>Good luck and have a good time.

elaine Jun 27th, 2002 06:10 AM

Hi<BR>If you go to londontown.com you can search for hotels in all price ranges and with all types of rooms.<BR><BR>Also do a search there or here on the following hotels--I haven't stayed at them, but they've been recommended here and elsewhere for families<BR><BR>Norfolk Court Hotel<BR>Norfolk Plaza<BR>Kingsway Hotel<BR>Balmoral House

janis Jun 27th, 2002 09:14 AM

Boris: Lost of hotels are "kid friendly". All the ones listed are fine - be sure when you make your reservations to make it clear how old your children are. The term "cot" is used in the UK for crib. Not that your 2 year old necessarily needs a crib but it helps if you know what they are talking about. Often a family room will be described as "sleeps 4 plus cot" or something like that.<BR><BR>BUT -- for a family of 5 - even if three of them are small children - I would rent a flat instead. A one or two bedroom apartment is often cheaper than a cramped family room in a hotel. Plus you will have a full kitchen and a WASHING MACHINE(!) which are huge benefits when traveling with children.

Mike Jun 27th, 2002 09:59 AM

I'll toss in the Marriott County Hall. While not accessible directly through the hotel, the London Eye is right outside the door, the aquarium is in the same building, their is a Mcdonalds (uuh) and an arcade in the same building as well. You have to exit the hotel to get to all of these, but they are right there. When I was there in May, they also had a trampoline outside that kids were paying to jump around on.

mom Jun 27th, 2002 10:02 AM

My daughter took her son to London for his 11th birthday last year.They stayed at the Russel Street Hotel.When they arrived,there were balloons and a card from the staff for the birthday boy.She said that hey went out of their way to do things for them and to be helpful.

Boris Jun 27th, 2002 10:55 AM

Thanks for the replies. Any good sites to find a flat?

mom Jun 27th, 2002 11:30 AM

Hi,it was Jurys Great Russell St Hotel :)

janis Jun 27th, 2002 02:52 PM

There are hundreds of good vacation rentals throughout London. If you do a web search with words like London Vacation Rental Apartment or London Holiday Flat, you will be amazed at the results.<BR><BR>One good agency which does not have a web site is E&E apartments. They do have e-mail [email protected].<BR><BR>They manage individual 1 and 2 bedroom flats throughout Pimlico and Victoria that average &pound;70 to &pound;100 per night. Pimlico is a nice residential area with lots of nice pubs and restaurants near the river, Tate Britain, Victoria Station, Chelsea, Buckingham Palace etc.

Claudia Jun 28th, 2002 01:42 AM

The London Guards Hotel off Bayswater has a huge family room - we slept our family of 6 with loads of room to spare..very spacious, high ceilings, ornate but comfortable...right across the street from Hyde Park...we'd go there again easily.

Boris Jun 28th, 2002 10:23 AM

I am considering the Mayflower Hotel, Earls Court or the London Crown Hotel, Paddington. Both are offering Quads for &pound;89.<BR>

Leslie Jun 28th, 2002 12:07 PM

Boris - look on www.hotel-assist.com. They have a number of places with rooms for five people, including the London Guards Hotel (I think we stayed in the same room as Claudia above and liked it too).<BR><BR>Also, the Amsterdam Hotel at Earls Court has 2 bedroom apartments.<BR><BR>You could probably inquire at any place with a quad room and ask for a cot or rollaway bed for the little one.