Notices

Keukenhoff lodging

Jul 1st, 2014, 10:52 AM
Original Poster

Keukenhoff lodging

We are hoping to visit Kuekenhoff next May - we have been to Amsterdam before and now we are debating whether to lodge there or elsewhere for our May visit. If we did not stay in Amsterdam, suggestions for other towns? hotels? logistics of getting to the gardens? thanks!
Jul 1st, 2014, 11:00 AM

Leiden and Haarlem are both wondrously old canal-laced Dutch regional cities with direct bus service to Keukenhof Gardens -= Lisse is the closest town of size but most would find it too small - Leiden has shuttle buses from its train station to the Keukenhof constantly - from Haarlem bus #100 goes frequently as well but takes longer - it does however traverse the flower fields practically the whole way.

Leiden or Haarlem - can't go wrong - Leiden has a big university that gives it a certain youthful cache.

Into biking? I can outline a sweet biking route from Haarlem about 20 miles to the Keukenhof - bike rentals abound in Haarlem - you could ride to Leiden eventually, put your bike on a train and go back to Haarlem.

Avoid Keukenhof on weekends when IME it can be super crowded and it is hard to get into the hothouses (most of the major displays IME were inside greenhouses).

Ledien or Haarlem could be great bases from which to hop to many neat sights.
Jul 1st, 2014, 11:20 AM

i agree that Haarlem would be a good base for Keukenhoff. We couldn't get into Haarlem for our dates so you might want to start looking pretty early.

We ended up in Delft for a few days - we liked it a lot but it wasn't particularly convenient for the bulb fields.
Jul 1st, 2014, 11:22 AM

http://www.botbedbreakfast.com/

I can highly recommend this brother and sister - the Bots - B&B in the heart of Haarlem, lovingly set overlooking a lovely canal. Friendly, clean and well located - bus #100 would stop within a few blocks I'd guess.

Fodorite spaarne also has a favorite B&B in Haarlem whose name escapes me.

Search this Thread