Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Keukenhof in May? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/keukenhof-in-may-1411100/)

JoeTro Jun 18th, 2017 06:47 AM

Keukenhof in May?

Looking into going back to Amsterdam for a couple days in May to see Keukenhof and Kroller-Muller. Most convenient transit plan on miles would mean I'd be able to do Keukenhof something like May 4, 5 or 6. Is this too late in the season, especially for the train ride there? And, does it really matter if visiting on a Friday or Monday compared to a Saturday or Sunday?

I guess I'm wondering if it's worth really changing up plans to arrive, say the week before, April 27 or so.

Thank you.

PalenQ Jun 18th, 2017 07:00 AM

If Keukenhof is open there will be loads of blooms -tulips being a minor part-many are in hothouses. Weekends can be super crowded. Take train to Leiden then special shuttle bus to gardens.

A week or so earlier IME would make little difference- again this is a show of the Dutch horticultural industry showcasing lots of different plans and flowers.

scdreamer Jun 18th, 2017 07:07 AM

Last year we were there in mid April (4/13), and the tulips were magnificent. I think early May should be okay - although the peak varies from year to year, and with climate change, we were told it is creeping earlier and earlier.

I do think a weekday would be a little less crowded - the gardens are only open for a limited time each year, so it's an attraction for both locals and tourists.

hetismij2 Jun 18th, 2017 11:39 AM

It depends very much on the spring we have but unless we have an exceptionally long warm period there will still be plenty to see that early in May. This year we had a warm start to spring then it all cooled down which slowed the blooming, and there were plenty of tulips into May. Only once that I know of has Keukenhof closed early because the blooms were over, and even then it was only by a few days. That was a truly exceptional spring.
May 4th is remembrance day in the Netherlands, 2 minutes silence is observed at 8pm, and there are ceremonies throughout the land, the main one being on Dam Square, with the King and Queen.
May 5th is Liberation Day. Not everyone has the day off, but many do, and there are various festivals to mark it.
April 27th is Kings Day (replaced April 30th - Queens Day) and is a major public holiday. Public transport in Amsterdam can be disrupted by it. Probably not the best day to arrive in Amsterdam and try and get to a hotel.

PalenQ Jun 18th, 2017 12:13 PM

Probably not the best day to arrive in Amsterdam and try and get to a hotel.>

Yes trains can be terminated before Central Station IME one year and C.S. is a complete mob scene at least until early afternoon.

PalenQ Jun 18th, 2017 12:24 PM

BTW-Have they developed that elusive mythical Black Tulip yet - pure black?

dweislaw Jun 18th, 2017 04:26 PM

We were at Keukenhof on May 2, 2012 and it was sensational. For 2018, the website informs that they will be open until 13 May. I would think your dates would be just fine.

JoeTro Jun 18th, 2017 04:38 PM

Thank you; I think I'll try to go Friday, May 4th (only caveat is I'll be flying in that morning, likely from Copenhagen), so maybe I should book for a little later in the day.

hetismij2 Jun 18th, 2017 09:32 PM

As long as you are established in your hotel before evening, and respect the silence at 8 pm there is no problem with arriving May 4th. If you arrive in the evening there is a good chance your train will stop for two minutes at 8pm.
You could even go along to Dam Square and join in with it.
I hope we have a lot of tulips for you to see!

JoeTro Jun 19th, 2017 07:26 AM

Thank you. My plan was to do Keukenhof and Anne Frank house that Friday, 5/4 and then Kroller on 5/5. Hopefully I can still be respectful and able to tootle around to those sites.

Thanks, all!

JoeTro Jun 27th, 2017 10:24 AM

What if I visited on Friday, 5/11 instead? Is that too close to the end to not make Keukenhof worthwhile?

menachem Jun 27th, 2017 11:46 AM

JoeTro, depends on the weather, but it's cutting it close