Kenwood House, Hampstead Village, London

Apr 5th, 2016, 01:45 PM
Original Poster

Kenwood House, Hampstead Village, London

Hi

We would like to spend a day or at least part of one visiting Kenwood House and Hampstead while we are in London.

I'm mostly concerned about getting there and getting around. I'm mobile but have health issues. Walking uphill is hard for me.

I think it's downhill from Kenwood House to Hampstead Village. Is this correct?

And getting to Kenwood House: I'm thinking of Uber OR getting the tube part of the way north (we are staying near Knightsbridge station) and then Uber or a taxi. Can anyone recommend a stop part of the way, or should we just spend for the Uber ride?

About Uber: it's loaded on our phones here, but we don't have international roaming. Will it work on the same Wifi principle that we use our phone for while traveling? I guess we'd have to use it from our apartment.

I'm feeling pretty stupid about this, so if anyone can help me, I'd appreciate it.
Apr 5th, 2016, 02:16 PM

>>I think it's downhill from Kenwood House to Hampstead Village. Is this correct? <<

Yes.

If it was me w/ mobility issues -- Id probably take the tube to either Baker Street or Swiss cottage and the hail a cab on the street.

Can't help re uber - I won't use it in London.
Apr 5th, 2016, 02:31 PM

tube to Hampstead then bus 603 to Kenwood House

Also visit Keats House which is at the other end of the heath
Apr 5th, 2016, 02:38 PM

sofarsogood's route works well -- or instead of the 603 you could hail a cab.
Apr 5th, 2016, 03:01 PM
Original Poster

Not my business of course, janisj, but I am curious about why you won't use Uber in London. Just London?
Apr 5th, 2016, 03:07 PM

http://www.hampsteadheath.net/travel-to-kenwood.html

Hope you enjoy your visit. It's a wonderful destination.
Apr 5th, 2016, 03:12 PM

The tube can be a pain for physically challenged - check to make sure your Tube stations have lifts - many do not just a series of often long steps. Why not just take Uber from your hotel there?

and get a 2for1 paper Tube ticket or TravelCard from a national rail station if Kenwood as many places in London participates in that scheme and most places seem to. If landing at Gatwick buy a return paper train ticket to London and back and use it your whole stay in London for 2 for 1 offers - Heathrow does not give that option as there is no participating National Rail Station there - the Heathrow Express or Connect I guess will not work.

But if you can get to a national rail station to buy a Travel Card that would work the whole time too.

I suppose you know about that but just in case you do not... if not Google London 2 for 1 to see all the nitty gritty required.
Apr 5th, 2016, 03:22 PM

>>I am curious about why you won't use Uber in London. <<

Because black cab drivers have to study (sometime for years) and pass an extremely rigorous test . . . and uber drivers just need a gps and a drivers license.

I just don't think it is a fair playing field.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/n...campus-livery/

http://www.theknowledgetaxi.co.uk
Apr 5th, 2016, 03:26 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the links.
Apr 5th, 2016, 05:09 PM

Tuscan, say hello to the library for me. It is THE most gorgeous room.
Apr 5th, 2016, 06:09 PM

Have to agree with janis about Uber in London. There are a couple of apps, like hailo

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...consumer&hl=en

that work in a similar way to get and pay for a legit black cab in London.

I'm not sure where you're starting from, but from Aldwych through Bloomsbury I love taking the #24 bus, through Camden and past the Roundhouse. It deposits you next to the Hampstead Heath overground station, where you could easily catch a cab up to the other end of the Heath close to Kenwood House.
Apr 5th, 2016, 10:49 PM

I would take black cabs as well. Their knowledge (they take the knowledge test) is super and have even had money taken off the charge due to bridge closures etc. drives are usually characters as well.
Apr 5th, 2016, 10:52 PM

The cafe just below Kenwood is pleasant too.
Apr 6th, 2016, 04:58 AM

When we went to Kenwood House, we took the tube to Archway and then the 210 bus which stops at the closest gate. We then walked to the house. It was an easy journey, and if you are going to walk through the grounds at all, it should be suitable for you.

We went on a weekend and the cafe was crowded. The house was not so busy, and we were surprised by the stunning artwork. The house is run by English Heritage, but admission is free.
Apr 6th, 2016, 08:50 AM

I think you'll want the 210 bus as chartly stated. The cafe outside is nice but, yes, it can get crowded and hot ( even on a mildly warm day ) if you end up sitting in the sun...not too many shady spots.
Apr 6th, 2016, 12:31 PM

Too bad the summer weekend concerts on the lawn at Kenwood House were cancelled lst year due to lack of ticket sales - that would have made the visit even neater on concert days.
Apr 6th, 2016, 12:53 PM
Original Poster

We'll only be in London for 4 nights this time, arriving by train from Macclesfield, but leaving out of Heathrow.

Our apartment is in Knightsbridge and I'm looking to save a little money on transportation, but not stress my body at the same time. A Black cab from Knightsbridge to Kenwood House is pretty expensive.

We usually take a few Black cabs on every trip to London. Never used a minicab but have thought about it in the past. Instead, we just usually use public transport. For this day out, I thought a combination of both public and private might work best.

I will check the two for one offers soon, but I don't think we'll be using them this trip as our schedule is kind of busy with exhibitions. Of course, sometimes art exhibitions are included in the 2/1 offers, so I'll check. It's happened to us twice that we had 2/1 offers for art exhibitions and didn't read the fine print: they were actually 3 for 2.
Apr 6th, 2016, 01:56 PM

>>A Black cab from Knightsbridge to Kenwood House is pretty expensive.<<

I don't think anyone suggested taking a taxi all the way -- now that would cost a fortune. The tube and buses will of course be cheapest, but the tube part way and then a cab is a reasonable alternative.

BTW -- if the cafe at Kenwood is too busy, it is a short downhill walk to the Spaniard's Inn - About 1/2 a mile.
Apr 7th, 2016, 05:46 AM

My bet janisj that if Kenwood caf is crowded Spaniards will be worse . Great choice though.
Apr 7th, 2016, 08:46 AM

Check out the tube stations with lifts because I think the stop for Hampstead has one and you could get the taxi service from there and save money.

Search this Thread