Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Kenmare to Dublin by car. Where to linger? Sites to visit? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/kenmare-to-dublin-by-car-where-to-linger-sites-to-visit-840476/)

DrToonz May 16th, 2010 09:35 AM

Kenmare to Dublin by car. Where to linger? Sites to visit?

I'll be making a long drive from morning to evening (9am-7pm? Later?) from Kenmare to Dublin in early August.

AAA Route Planner says 4.5 hours. ((is this even close to accurate?))

That means I have approx 5.5 hours I can use however I like en route. A stop at the Rock of Cashel seems like a good idea. I could, I guess, make Blarney Caslte, Cobh, Cahir, even Glendalough part of the route. I have no plan yet except to rise in Kenmare and sleep that night in Dublin.

I would love any suggetions for how best to use this day between Kenmare and Dublin.

We will already have visited Killarney Nat'l Park and the Ring of Kerry.

Please advise on how I should prioritize my stops between Kenmare and Dublin.
:)

Cowboy1968 May 16th, 2010 10:02 AM

In 2011, 4.5 hours will be accurate when the M7 motorway between Limerick and Dublin will be ready.
If you plan to go via Cork, though, which the destinations you mentioned implies, Blarney, Cahir (castle and/or swiss cottage), and Cashel qualify. Cahir castle is probably less touristy and you can tour it on your own. Swiss Cottage is just a short (30min) tour, but you will have to wait for one to start. Glendalough (or the Wicklow Mtns) require a bit more time to cherish, so I think you can put Cahir and Cashel on your list, but skip Blarney and have Kilkenny as an optional 3rd break if time and energy permit.

DrToonz May 16th, 2010 01:13 PM

I guess I did imply that I would take the 'through Cork' route, but I don't HAVE to. It just makes Blarney and Cobh possible as stopping points. If everyone says that I should just skip those and do Cahir/Cashel or whatever else, the I don't have to go the Cork route.

Is this M7 supposed to be done by late July/early August, 2010? Blarney has such a famous name attached to it, but I've read here and elsewhere that Cashel is the one to see. Thanks for the input, Cowboy!

Anyone else have a take on this? Is the Swiss Cottage worth stopping for?

Cowboy1968 May 16th, 2010 02:45 PM

So far, the M7 is only a motorway between Portlaoise and Dublin, and smaller bits around Limerick (Limerick southern by-pass), and North of Limerick between Birdhill and Nenagh. Under these conditions, which will still exist in July/August, the 4.5 hours are a theoretical minimum which does not take into consideration any delays or breaks.

I was not trying to talk you out of visiting Blarney castle. Actually, I have no clue what other people may like or not.
Just Cobh is a bit more complicated to get to (going through Cork and back), and Glendalough is in fact just a bit of a region that usually requires some more time to see.

Since your starting point and your destination are quite far apart, you have tons of possible sights in between, so it's somewhat hard to give you the *perfect* itinerary - except for rather technical comments on which sights are harder or easier to reach.

DrToonz May 21st, 2010 01:12 PM

That's a good answer, Cowboy. I appreciate the insight. I think we'll point the car in a direction and try to fit in Cashel and see what else happens! Sounds great. Thanks!

BigMac_03 May 22nd, 2010 04:23 AM

I toured Ireland for two weeks by car and visited both Rock of Cashel and Blaney Castle. Although Blarney has beautiful grounds, it is clearly a very touristy locale. Cashel was much less visited, and the castle was more striking in my opinion. It helps that is can be seen from quite a distance, as it sits in top of a barren hill. As mentioned by others, Ireland is beautiful and you will not be disappointed with whatever you choose. If it is a this or that decision, my choice would be Cashel over Blarney. Have a great trip!!!