Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Kempinski Hotels in Moscow and St. Petersburg

Old Jan 31st, 2002, 06:48 AM
Carson

Hello.<BR><BR>I am looking at two Kempinski hotels (Moscow-Baltschug/St. P-Grand Hotel Europe) for travel later this year. Anyone have experience with either and any comments to share? Thanks.

Old Jan 31st, 2002, 07:06 AM
Marc David Miller

Friends of mine have stayed at both, and I have seen many of the rooms. <BR><BR>The Moscow hotel is probably the best property in the city, although its location is something of a pain unless you have a driver (it's a long walk to the public transport). <BR><BR>The Grand Hotel has a great location (probably the best of any of the lux properties in Petersburg). The one thing I didn't like at the Grand Hotel was the line for the breakfast buffet--you had to pay in advance (or sign your room number), before being seated which caused a 20 minute line--plainly not what I expect when dropping $30-35/head for breakfast. The other restaurants are good but not memorable.<BR><BR>Service at both is great although as with other luxury properties in Russia their fees for everything are outrageous in comparison to normal Russian life.

Old Jan 31st, 2002, 07:07 AM
Shain

Hi Carson,<BR>I have "only" experience with the <BR>fantastic Kempinski Grand Hotel Europe<BR>St.Petersburg.<BR>I have been during the "white nights" there(around midsummer 21.june).<BR>Fanastic hotel under swedish management.<BR>The rooms are very cozy and classic,<BR>and american standard deluxe rooms.<BR>Try to not get a room with streetview,<BR>maybe you get some just a bit noise from the streets. Even if the main entrace lies on a side street.<BR>The breakfast room is awonderful youthstyle room, very spacious.<BR>Also the "caviar-bar" a juwel that<BR>let you give an idea, how rich people<BR>around the russian-tsar (before 1910)must have been, and gives a good impression of what Russia once were.<BR>(before revolution).<BR>The steambath(also used for 007-movie)<BR>is worth to try - no spies anymore(i guess/or hope). Also a wonderful open<BR>Lobby, where you can get your tea while <BR>planning on your day in the "venice of the north".<BR>Time around 21.june means, the sun not really fades away, even at 3 a.m. it's bright enough to read outside.<BR>The weather is very continetal, means dry, and temperatures at day can easily<BR>top 28 degres, but feels less due to notmuch moisture in it.<BR>Ask the hotel concierge to arrange<BR>a private guided tour to those liitle<BR>homes of Fjedor Dostowjewski and Rimski Korsakov. Sometimes a small quartett plays inside these rooms his great works. Those flat has been preserved, so you really got an impression of what was living around the 19.th century.<BR>I definitely found St.Petersburg, also because of the great tsar architecture more interesting than moscow.<BR>Don't miss:<BR>Hermitage (of course, third biggest musuem in the world - so take time)<BR>Peter & Paul fort, St.Isaak cathedrale,<BR>and around go to Catharina- and Tsar palace. Also take speedboot ferry to the park and castle of Peterhof.<BR>And if you find time - take a tour to<BR>Novgorod (fortress) 200km and enjoy the absolut untouched and very russian lanscape that will kept your heart immediately. There is no compareable <BR>countryside in europe and makes you want to see more of the great russian and ukrainian endless grounds.<BR>Novgorod was once a big "Hanse" city,#<BR>somehow reminds me to the Kreml to.<BR>Well if you need more infos or sights<BR>I just forget about theaters there,<BR>more specific things let me know or email me.<BR>Great St.Petersburg fan -<BR>Shain/eu/de/d&uuml;sseldorf<BR>

Old Jan 31st, 2002, 07:10 AM
Carson

You guys are great, thanks!

Old Jan 31st, 2002, 07:10 AM
Shain

Hi again,<BR>well I found no standing inline for breakfast buffets,<BR>but tourist are indeed getting melked for each add thing you want to have or do.<BR>But somehow it's worth it.<BR>Another great idea - is - when coming <BR>from/to St.Petersburg - take the overnight train Moscow-st.Pe. - it'll<BR>give you a complete other feeling for traveling by train, first class is a must, but you feel again switched to <BR>last century.<BR>Shain/eu/de/germany

Old Jan 31st, 2002, 07:24 AM
Carson

Shain, thanks again. I have heard about the overnight train. Right now I have air booked on Pulkovo from MOW-STP-MOW. In your opinion, should I do the train instead??

Old Jan 31st, 2002, 07:27 AM
Marc David Miller

If your time is tight and you are doing both ways I would fly (or investigate flying into one city and flying out of the other).

Old Jan 31st, 2002, 07:31 AM
Marc David Miller

Also, instead of using the hotel's guide I would highly recommend I met Olga Stepanova, a guide in St Petersburg, Russia. She can be reached at <BR><BR>[email protected] <BR><BR>I used her for several days in St Petersburg and she was the finest guide I ever had--so good that I brought her with me to the Lake Baikal region so <BR>that she could translate for me. I have already booked her for an entire week during my next trip in June.<BR><BR>Several of my friends hired Olga for their tours in St. Petersburg as well <BR>and agree with me. Her prices are very reasonable, and I found her to be a <BR>needed resource, even though this was my third trip to St. Petersburg. I <BR>have had friends show me around, and have taken other guides in Petersburg, <BR>but using Olga was more efficient--I have a great knowledge of Russian <BR>history, and she would arrange for guides from some of the museums to show <BR>me their collections, while she would simultaneously translate for me. For <BR>most of the less-specialized sights (Hermitage, Peterhof, city tours) Olga <BR>is licensed and quite knowledgable. <BR><BR>In Moscow you can use Patriashy Dom:<BR><BR>www.russiatravel-pdtours.netfirms.com<BR><BR>They run many daily excursions at reasonable prices--their guides are very good, especially Felix Meltser (I took about 15 tours with him in the last few years). You can also hire their guides privately.

Old Jan 31st, 2002, 07:33 AM
Shain

Hi Carson,<BR>it is ok in your case and not a big shame if you fly. Because the train leaves around 8pm if I'm right, and get's you in the early morning hours to<BR>St.Petersburg.<BR>You don' t really miss time overnight - but as I said it is an experience and you might get not much sleep during the ride.<BR>I actually don't no?! Maybe I would do, if I know I will not return.<BR>But on the other hand - you are going in summer(early)<BR>Spare this one for a russian winter tale.<BR>I promise you - if you return in winter -<BR>and make the train trip - that impression is a bit more than in summer !!!<BR>So - plan on returning and plan it than in winter (late jan./february is best)!<BR>Well - need more inf ?<BR>Shain/eu/de/d&uuml;sseldorf

Old Jan 31st, 2002, 02:17 PM
Carson

Thanks for great replies, Marc and Shain. Between these and all the replies in the other threads that I have been following, much great information. Marc, I will be on sort of an independent tour, but it features a private guide and car. This is arranged through the tour co. (a reputable U.S. establishment), so I am hopeful the guide will be competent, but I realize that is certainly no guarantee. Perhaps I will contact some of the people you have referenced as well. Unfortunately, I speak practically zero Russian, though I will do my best to learn basic phrases prior to...Thanks again.

Old Jan 31st, 2002, 02:42 PM
Marc David Miller

Besides hello, please and thank you I would concentrate on the cyrallic alphabet---that way you could navigate a metro or a taxi (it got me through two trips).

Old Jan 31st, 2002, 03:53 PM
Debbie

Carson-The overnight train from Moscow to St P is fabulous-go first class(2 berths/compartment) for an unforgetable experience. Train leaves at 11pm promptly, arriving St P, 8am-2 very quick stops along the way. If you have the time, sure beats flying. ENJOY!

Old Feb 5th, 2002, 07:48 AM
Mary Carlson

Carson - you mentioned a reputable travel company. May I ask which one it is? Thank you.

Old Feb 5th, 2002, 10:27 AM
Carson

Mary:<BR><BR>I am using General Tours. When I said "reputable" I suppose this could be classified as a leap of faith since I have not dealt with them in the past. However, they have been in business for a long time and they are the company Delta Air Lines uses as an affiliate (Delta Vacations), so I figured they must be ok.

Old Feb 5th, 2002, 12:15 PM
Shain

Hi Carson ... again,<BR>I may forgot to tell you to ask for or better just recerve the beel chambre rooms.<BR>You will be quiete stisfied with location of the rooms and interiour.<BR>Shain/eu/de/dus

Old Feb 5th, 2002, 12:25 PM
Carson

Shain-again thanks for the benefit of your experience. I will do as you suggest. Should this be done upon check-in or in advance of arrival?<BR><BR>Carson

Old Feb 5th, 2002, 03:54 PM
Debbie

Carson-Used GT for our trip to Russia-Moscow/St P-last June-we're usually independent travellers, but Russia is one destination we'd agreed to opt for an organized tour-the language barrier being one major reason. IMHO, GT did an outstanding job-the guides were of the highest standard, answered endless questions, and got us thru musuems(the Kremlin/Hermitage)in ways you can't even begin to imagine. And if anyone tells you there's no traffic in either city, they've haven't been there lately! The tour bus drivers were excellent-GT used a late model Mercedes Benz bus in Moscow-quite comfortable! Sure, one downside of an organized tour is exploring sites as you wish, however, dealing with a totally unfamiliar language, touring very crowded museums is where a *reputatable* tour operator is worth its weight in gold. GT offers many optional tours-they will not pressure you into joining any of them-it's up to your discretion if you choose to participate in anything. Our client services manager secured tickets to the Mariinski(Kirov)ballet for us-what an unforgetable experience! The theatre is utterly beautiful, and if you're able to purchase tickets, I would highly recommend seeing a performance. In our book, GT did an outstanding job-wouldn't hestitiate to use them again in another country where doing an organized tour is our choice over independent travel.