Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Keflonia and Santorini - lots of questions

Old Jul 8th, 2009, 07:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are going to Greece next May (planning ahead)!! I really wanted to return to the crystal bright blue waters such as you find in Kefalonia (Myrtos Beach). However we are definitley committed to a week in Santorini. Is there an easy way to get to Kefalonia (or any of the Ionean islands) ? I couldn't find anything that doesn't include a trip back via Athens ...............and/or do we need to go to the Ionean islands to get this kind of beatiful water?............. or..........is the water as beautiful as that around the cyclades - other areas? Photos of the seaside around Santorini show a much darker blue water. We are more interested in beautiful scenery , quiet fishing villages than history (ie. small villages like Assos and even Fiskardo) We would rather avoid Crete and the larger islands however do want to spend one whole week in Santorini and one in another island. (We fly in and out of Athens and do not want to deal with too many ports/airpirts etc). How is Skiathos ?(Mama Mia filmed there and it does look beautiful on the movie)! Any asssitance greatly appreciated.
Old Jul 8th, 2009, 09:03 AM

There's no way to Kefalonia from Santorini except back through Athens.

All the Aegean islands are surrounded by blue water but it's the sea floor, its depth and the blue sky that determine the shade of blue you'll see. Santorini's shoreline is mostly black or dark sand and it gets deep quickly, thus the darker color. Use 'Google images' to search for photos of any island you're interested in.

Mama Mia was filmed on Skopelos, not Skiathos. Don't forget that filmmakers take license with set design and you may not find what you're looking for if you want to see something you like from a film.

Aegean Airlines will start offering discounted airfare for next year around November or December, and continue every month or so with another block of discounted tickets, so you can fly and not waste much time if you keep an eye out on their website.

Nice islands close to Santorini that won't be too busy in May include Naxos, Paros and Antiparos, all easily reached from Santorini.
Old Jul 8th, 2009, 10:20 AM

Skiathos is a beautiful island, but just as difficult as Kefalonia to reach from Santorini. You would still have to go through Athens, and there is only one (late night) flight from there to Skiathos.

Your only practical choices for a second island are those mentioned by brotherleelove, and one or two others, e.g. Milos, in the western Cyclades. You could also go to Kos or Rhodes in the Dodecanese, which have 4 days/week Blue Star ferry connections with Santorini.
Old Jul 8th, 2009, 10:48 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the speedy response.........Santorini is a must for me as I have always wanted to go there (Oia). Any particular islands you would suggest closer to Athens that we could easily take a ferry to for the second week? I am responsible for 10 people (a trip for my daughters graduation), all adults,25-60 so we will be doing some sightseeing most days of course, but mainly want to relax and enjoy. Otherwise, maybe flying to Athens and then Kefalonia is the best. (prices not bad even at the moment for May 2010).
Old Jul 8th, 2009, 10:54 AM
Original Poster

Thanks also to you, Heimdall. Skiathos, if the movie depicted it all all "correctly", is the kind of small island we are looking for and it was surrounded by those beautiful crystal waters.
Old Jul 8th, 2009, 11:32 AM

Check out Naxos, very close to Santorini, on the Blue Star line, wonderful Island for Grownups and not full of package-holiday tourists (as Kefalonia can be), and very easy on the budget. Am not going to repeat all the attractions of Naxos here because Ihave done it leventy-leven times and you can easily find all the info on the search slot -- but here's Fodorite Stanbr's quick slideshow of Naxos Highlights: if it attracts, come back wit questions:

http://travel.webshots.com/slideshow/552001505EYxVYT

PS: It's generally granted that Naxos has the best beaches overall of the Cyclades Islands.
Old Jul 10th, 2009, 05:52 AM
Original Poster

Thanks. I have narrowed the hotel part down to these 2 - any comments?

Naxos
www.kavos-naxos.com
Amazing prices - guess because it is less touristy.

and in Santorini
http://www.rimida.gr/
Old Jul 10th, 2009, 08:32 AM

We stayed at Kavos in 2006 and the place is just amazing. Beautiful but simple, clean bungalows; great service staff; wonderful chef and a great all around location. The walk to the beach is about 5-7 minutes but worth every single step you take to get there. Naxos seems to have the most amazing beaches and the overall feel of the island is just incredible. I am sure you will have a wonderful time!!
Old Jul 10th, 2009, 11:22 AM

I've never stayed at Rimida, but I did stay at Strogili houses next door, and they share a pool. The location and view are great, just a very short walk to Oia "proper" (where the pedestrian walkway starts to the heart of the village) and the pool area is very nice.

In May it may (or may not) be too cold to swim, but when we were there in late May 2008 it was quite hot and my travel partner enjoyed the use of the pool with nobody else around.
Old Jul 12th, 2009, 06:05 AM
Original Poster

thanks again - this info really helps. Rimidi has sunset views as oppose to Strogoli which does not - so that may play a part in our decision. Kavos in Naxos sounds great. I don't usually plan this far ahead however since quite a few people are involved I shall be booking early.
Old Jul 12th, 2009, 06:27 AM

Strogili and Rimida are practically next door to each other, so there's no way one can have a sunset view while the other doesn't. Neither will have a view of the sun setting "into the sea" because that event is almost always blocked by the curve of the island westward or by the little island of Therassia, but both will have an excellent caldera view.