Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Keeping track of photos on the camera---do you make a note when you take them? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/keeping-track-of-photos-on-the-camera-do-you-make-a-note-when-you-take-them-258511/)

camerashy Sep 16th, 2002 01:35 PM

Keeping track of photos on the camera---do you make a note when you take them?

Not being a photographer-type person, and taking my first trip to Italy......how do you tell, two weeeks later what all of those shots are (or is this a really stupid question). <BR><BR>I suppose that I could label them in the album with the first thing that comes to mind (and pray no one viewing the photos knows either... , ) or make a list of some sort as I take each photo. Sounds like a lot of extra effort if it is not needed. <BR><BR>Is any of this necessary, or am I making a big deal.....? What works for you---besides your "younger" memory?<BR><BR>Thanks

xxx Sep 16th, 2002 01:45 PM

I wouldn't take the time to stop and write down every shot. Maybe if you keep a quick journal on your cafe stops that will be enough for you to trigger your memory in order of what you saw.

kavey Sep 16th, 2002 01:52 PM

If it's an important trip the most I do is number the film canisters themselves as I use the films. <BR><BR>(Put a sticker on the outside and then write on with pen as you use them - make sure the film process lab understand to number up the resulting prints for you).<BR><BR>Then I use my journal to jog my memory on individual sites and usually can guess what most things are.<BR><BR>Kavey

Elsa Sep 16th, 2002 02:25 PM

I def. think keeping a little notebook w/ roll # and pic. # is the way to go. I can't tell you how many little alleyways, churches, flower boxes, buildings, etc. I would NEVER have remembered where I was when I snapped the pic. The travel journal would be better than nothing, but I suggest the little notebook.

Greg Sep 16th, 2002 02:52 PM

Last year I started going to Europe again after a 16 year layoff. I have gone three times since and am going in a month. I am upset that I cannot remember much of my trips from years ago. What I started doing was a small journal. I would buy a 75 cent small notebook and everynight over a beer I would write down the days activities and whether or not I took pictures. When I would develope them I would remember what they were.

Paule Sep 16th, 2002 03:00 PM

Like Greg, I keep a daily journal of the day: places we visit, with little notes, and anything else that's important to me. I find that using the journal, I can pretty much identify everything we photograph. If I can't remember one particular sight, I can generally figure out something else on the roll, and the journal then helps me figure out what was shot elsewhere on the roll.

Ron Sep 16th, 2002 03:02 PM

I don't usually keep any kind of notes although I did buy a microcassette recorder a couple of years ago. My wife keeps a journal of what we did, where we went, what we saw. She tries to makes at least a quick entry or note every evening. If there was anything we wanted to make sure we didn't forget it would be included in the notes.<BR>When we get home the photos get developed right away and we retake the vacation by getting the photos in order and writing the descriptions on the back. This can take several days. We also buy lots of guidebooks and brochures when we see something so we can also check the photos we take against what's in the brochure.<BR>On our last vacation she took about 150 photos and I took about 430. Some of them are on our website (shameless plug here) http://www.iconnect.net/home/rsumners/

Howard Sep 16th, 2002 03:49 PM

The first two things I note are the date of the pictures taken and what the first picture on a roll is, so that when I get all the pictures back I can put them in chronological order. <BR>Then, I make simple notes of what's on the roll. If there is some special about a picture--a unique fact, etc.--I write a few additional words.

Capo Sep 16th, 2002 03:55 PM

If you have a reasonably good memory, and won't be in Italy all that long, I'd suspect you'll remember what most of the sights -- the major ones anyway -- are that you photograph. <BR><BR>No harm in jotting down notes in a small book every once in a while though.

Tom Sep 16th, 2002 04:10 PM

Might I suggest a digital camera with a large memory card? The benefits are that you don't have multiple film cannisters to deal with and your pictures are recorded on your memory card in chronological order. You can also fire away at no cost and then delete the bad shots each night before you charge your battery.<BR>I love regular 35mm photography, but I don't think you can beat the convenience of digital.<BR>Whatever you do - take lots of pictures. We really enjoy looking at our photos of a recent Italy trip and each picture brings back a great memory. Have fun!

Julie Sep 16th, 2002 05:44 PM

Timely question...this evening my husband is marking the digital photos of our June trip to Tuscany, which have finally made it onto his website. It helps that they're in chronological order, and between the two of us we've been able to identify almost everything--with the help of my travel journal, which has been invaluable. Even after a short time, you (or at least I) tend to forget whether that perfect little side street was in Montalcino or Pienza (or was it Radda?). The travel journal helps keep the days in order, and it also helps when you want to insert the correct name of a building but don't want to have to hit the guidebooks. I write in the journal every night during the trip (to the accompaniment of a couple of glasses of vino on a terrace somewhere) and try to chronicle the entire day--where we went, where and what we ate, everything. I end up referencing the journal repeatedly after we get home, whether it's to recommend a ristorante to an Italy-bound friend, identify the photos, settle a friendly memory-hazed debate with my husband, or just relive the good times. I highly recommend it!<BR>

nancy Sep 16th, 2002 06:53 PM

I now think I've got it nailed down! I keep a tiny notebook starting with Roll #1. As I take pictures and when able I note which photos covered the area (i.e #13-20 is such & such). When I change film I band a slip of paper onto the roll of film with a rubber band with the number 1, 2, etc. Then when I drop off the roll of film to be developed, I mark #1, #2, etc. on the little tab I keep and on the pack I drop off - so easy to match up. I also keep a journal with more detailed notes for my own purposes but it helps fill in any gaps. As an aside, I take all my film out of the plastic tubes and place them in a baggie - saves room and doesn't require the baggage screener to dump out all your film.

g Sep 17th, 2002 08:21 AM

Lots of good suggestions here! I have not kept a travel journal or kept track of our photos in the past and have regretted it in some cases. I somehow took a pretty good picture of a statue somewhere in London with storm clouds rising in the background - don't know how to describe it, but it looks almost "arty" - but I of course now have no idea where that statue was or who was represented... I definitely will take a small notebook with me next time. I have found some at Target that are 99 cents - 7" X 5", 80 pages with perforated sheets and a small pocket inside the front cover. I use one right now to keep in my purse and track budget, hold receipts, etc. and it works quite well and fits in my medium-sized purse quite nicely. I'm sure everyone has one that works for them, but I just love my little notebook and thought I would tout it a little bit here! :-)<BR>Camerashy, thanks for asking this question. I now have some good ideas for my next trip.

trying Sep 17th, 2002 10:30 AM

We keep a very short journal of what we do and, usually, where we eat each day. That said, our photos are usually pretty recognizable in that we rarely take pictures of completely non-descript places. Surely, you have an overview of where you will be going and have an idea of some of the things you can expect to see. Occaisionally, building or monument will pop up from time to time and we'll say "what was that" or, more likely "what was I thinking taking that shot." Usually, though, major monuments or sights will be on the roll and, coupled with our journal, helps us put everything in perspective. We also take pictures of signs with city names on them (rr signs or stations, for example), to make for a nice transition within our albums. Finally, although we take literally hundreds of photos, only the best, most interesting, and/or unique go into the albums. We keep the rest, but rarely go through them. (Not only do we prefer this, but friends and family prefer the edited version of our photos!)

Myriam Sep 17th, 2002 10:38 AM

I have returned from Tuscany this weekend with 280 pictures on 2 compact flash cards. It is the first time I used my digicam so I indeed shot away. Pics are numbered which is very easy. What I did was writing down the town and the numbers from/to of the pictures that I took in each particular place.

Amy Sep 17th, 2002 10:41 AM

Yes, I do in a way. I keep a travel diary anyway, so I know what I did each day. I won't keep a list of what I've taken pictures of if it's obvious (ie: "photos 1-10 are of the Eiffel Tower") But in Ireland when passing the 3rd or 4th castle in an hour, or on the Amalfi Coast went passing over a little town, it's nice not to see the picture and wonder which one it was. So if I have my journal with me, I just write down the pics in order as I take them. Otherwise just a scrap of paper, but again, only for the less-obvious shots.