Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Katikies the Hotel or Katikies Suites Hotel

Old Jan 31st, 2005, 06:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Trying to decide between these two hotels. Can anyone give us advise? Please let us know, our cruise just cancelled and we are in a bit of a panic.
Thank you!
Shelley
Old Jan 31st, 2005, 07:24 AM

Are they not the same hotels in Santorini ? where everyone whispers while talking. Either staff to guests or in between. Katikies has nice view and nice rooms. They have another hotel near by I will try to remember the name soon which is better for mid. young couples.

Have Fun

Murat
Old Jan 31st, 2005, 11:08 AM

Both are on the same premises, you just have rooms or more expensive suites to choose from.
Old Jan 31st, 2005, 02:11 PM
Original Poster

brotherleelove, thank you for your thoughts. We are also considering Perivolas. I see from your postings you are friends with them, and know that property. If I may ask, what are your thoughts on the two properties??
I like breakfast served on my terrace and the robe, slippers and cel phone they give you at Katikies.

I thought the same thing initially in regards to the suites vs. standard rooms. The hotel must have purchased another hotel?? They said there are two properties when I spoke to them. And their web site shows seperate locations several meters from one another.
Thank you!
Shelley
Old Jan 31st, 2005, 02:52 PM

I prefer Perivolas for the more seasoned environment. Katikies is beautiful but lacks some charm only possible with time. Perhaps I spoke too soon and didn't realize there was a separation between the Hotel and the Suites. Perivolas does have room service so you don't have to leave your terrace to dine.
Old Feb 1st, 2005, 08:48 AM

Shelley- Actually, these are two different facilities run by Katikies; not the same location. Here's the deal: Katikies Hotel is the original Katikies that you have read about here (and lots on tripadvisor.com). It has 22 rooms, including standards, superiors, and suites. If you want to stay in the hotel with the kidney shaped infinity pool you see pictured, stay there.

Just this year, Katikies Hotel purchased two other properties in Oia (the same town as the original hotel) and they are completely renovating these properties and opening them this spring/summer. Katikies Suites is actually the hotel which used to be called Atlantis Villas. It is located adjacent to Perivolas and has the same view. It has a lovely red brick pool terrace, as opposed to the grey/white decking at the original Katikies Hotel (although I don't know if they are changing the brick terrace as part of the renovation). If you go to Katikies.com, you can click on "hotel" or "suites" on the home page and see the two different pool deck photos. Actually, I stayed at Atlantis Villas years ago, and was very impressed with the view and the position. I thought it was beautifully situated, but it was not a luxury hotel like Katikies. HOWEVER, apparently Katikies is transforming the old Atlantis Villas into a second luxury hotel property to be called Katikies Suites, and perhaps even making it slightly more "luxury" than the original (they are adding a spa- The Caldera Spa- to the old Atlantis facilities). Atlantis Villas had 17 rooms, so I would think Katikies Suite will be similar in size. The third facility, Villa Katikies, is a small villa further down the pedestrian path in Oia and will have only 7 rooms and no pool.

It's hard to tell which is going to be the best choice. This summer, we are splitting our stay between Katikies Suites and Katikies Hotel (where we stayed last summer and found absolutely incredible), so I can report back in mid-June on what we found. I do know they will be managed and run the same way, and both will have an open air gourmet restaurant with 3 or 4 tables, a pool restaurant, and a "cave" greek/traditional restaurant. It sounds like they are really just trying to recreate the original Katikies Hotel experience at the other facility in order to offer more rooms without adding onto the original facility. I have no problem with this, as long as the other facilities offer the same kind of view and service, which is what Katikies is especially known for. Anyway, I hope that helps. It is very confusing, but I have corresponded with Katikies quite a bit while making our plans, so I'm confident this is the correct information. Apparently, the renovations are to be completed in March, and Katikies Suites will be fully operational by the time we get there in June.
Old Feb 1st, 2005, 12:01 PM
Original Poster

Europhile,

You are the best! Thank you for all your information. This is exactly why I love this site. What great information!!!

Additionally what are your feelings on room location at the hotel? Higher, lower, by the pool or not, etc. Any suggestions on room numbers?

We have booked a junior suite June 19-22, 2005. When are you going?

With warmest regards,
Shelley

Old Feb 1st, 2005, 02:44 PM

Glad to help! We'll just miss you- we check out June 13th. As for rooms/locations, I prefer above the pool, so you overlook the pool and get the same view as the pool deck. The very best room is #24 (a honeymoon suite; see my trip report for all the details), but it is unfortunately very expensive. It was worth it for a major splurge for us, but we are not repeating it this year at the Hotel. Even if we wanted to, it isn't available- it is very much in demand. Instead, we are doing a honeymoon suite at the Katikies Suites, and a superior room (#14; they said it was located above our honeymoon suite and has the same view) at Katikies Hotel. If you explain to them what you are looking for, they will steer you toward the right room. For example, I told them outside space/view/privacy was more important to us than a big, luxurious interior, and they recommended room 14 (over some of the more expensive rooms that we were also considering). I think they genuinely want people to have the experience they want, and will make suggestions accordingly. But, for the record, you could never beat that honeymoon suite, if budget allows!