Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

1 week in Switzerland, France, or Belgium (deciding)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22nd, 2013, 01:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi. I will have just a bit over 1 week in between business in Amsterdam and business in Munich. I am traveling solo, and I am planning to spend this in perhaps 2 destinations in Switzerland, France, Belgium, Italy, or Austria, or maybe even Denmark. I have been though some of Germany before (Berlin and Dresden) and I will get a chance to visit Dusseldorf, Munich, and part of the black forest during my business, so I am not planning to use this time to stay in Germany.

I am looking for suggestions of where to go and where is good for a solo traveler. This trip will be in June. I am thinking maybe I will go to Paris and also stop in one place in Switzerland (ideas?).
Old Apr 22nd, 2013, 02:36 AM

So, you are looiing for a nice place somewhere within the pentagon Copenhagen - Vienna - Siracusa - Biaritz - Brest - Copenhagen. Could you tell us what you are interested in?
Old Apr 22nd, 2013, 04:09 AM

I like beer so my vote is Belgium.
Old Apr 22nd, 2013, 04:40 PM
kja

As a frequent solo traveler, I don't think the fact that you are solo is relevant - Europe is easy to visit on your own. neckervd asks the critical question: What are your interests?
Old Apr 22nd, 2013, 06:00 PM
Original Poster

I've also travelled plenty, both solo and with others, and it has made a difference everywhere I have ever been whether I am alone or with others. I'm not really concerned about the "ease" of traveling alone, especially in this area. When I'm alone, I prefer a smaller, walkable city center, more fast casual restaurants, live music, street culture, etc.

I didn't really explain my interests because I'm pretty flexible. I like to explore a place for what it is, rather than to pursue my special interests extensively. I'm not really interested in shopping extensively, though I might like to go shopping a bit if I end up in Paris. I guess more interested in architecture and history, museums, art, natural beauty, cafe culture, etc.
Old Apr 22nd, 2013, 06:13 PM

Why not somewhere else in the Netherlands and Belgium? More bang for your buck as you are right there, no extra travelling to get there. It's also easy to catch the train to Germany from Belgium (the Thalys goes to Cologne). In the Netherlands you might think of the visiting the Kröller-Müller Museum in the Hoge Veluwe (parklands and Vincent van Gogh in one). In Belgium, the big places in Flanders are Bruges, Ghent and Antwerp, but you could also visit the Ardennes if you want outdoorsy. Plus Brussels does café culture really well (they 'export' some of their cafés in the form of Le Pain Quotidien or the Belgian Beer Cafés (Australia, where I live, has quite a few of these)).

Lavandula