Justairports hassle

Jun 6th, 2011, 05:03 PM
Original Poster

Justairports hassle

Help! After seeing Justairports highly recommended on this site, I phoned them to make a reservation (phoning because their website said that was the only way I could prepay with a credit card). I made a one-way reservation (Heathrow to my hotel) and was given a price of 42GBP + parking. It was the middle of the night in Maryland and I was tired, so I forgot to make the return reservation. I called a few hours later and made a reservation to go back to Heathrow. They quoted a price of GBP36. That would be at least 80GBP. I mentioned that on a discussion yesterday, and someone answered that he had just made the same trip (2 passengers, 2 carryons, 2 medium size suitcases) for 55GBP for the round trip.

I looked at their website again and saw the 55 price in the saloon car, which I had been told was too small for so much luggage. So I emailed them, asking about the smaller car, but the main purpose of my email was to see if they would give me a round-trip price. They answered promptly, telling me there were rules against putting carryons inside the car (?) abd saying they couldn't change the price.

I emailed again and asked Which price? The round-trip price? They again answered promptly, cancelling my reservation and saying they couldn't change the rules for just one passenger. We are leaving tomorrow! I'm frantic about packing (the entire trip is four weeks and several countries). What should I do now?

Have those of you who have recommended this company been treated like this?

LondonTransfers seems even more expensive.

Our hotel is on the Piccadilly Line. Can we get on at Heathrow and go straight to our hotel without difficulty (because of the luggage)? Will be we able to board at Heathrow easily since that''s the beginning of the line? The time wouldn't be much longer than taking the HEX and then having to transfer.

Any other suggestions? Thanks much!!
Jun 6th, 2011, 06:09 PM

I'm confused. Just how much luggage do you have?

Have they said you have too much for the smaller vehicle? (And I can understand that people may not want "carry-ons" with wheels inside the back of a car ripping up the upholstery)
Jun 6th, 2011, 06:37 PM

At this point, it's either pay the 44 each way or take a cab which will be as much or more. if you have more than an easily managed rolling bag forget the tube.
Jun 6th, 2011, 06:38 PM
Original Poster

We are two passengers. We each have a medium suitcase and a carryon. My carryon is 19". I asked in my email why our carryons couldn't go on the floor where the other two passengers' feet would not be ( since the website said they could take up to four passengers in the saloon).

Thank you for reading all the way through my semi-coherent letter.
Jun 6th, 2011, 07:18 PM

I think you could manage the tube, i frequently travel with luggage (suitcase, carryon) plus stroller and my daughter (and her luggage) on my own to heathrow/gatwick and i've managed just fine

Its much cheaper than any car service you'd find at this short notice and as you're hotel is on the picadilly line that should make it easier!

Have a great trip!
Jun 6th, 2011, 08:30 PM

I think you can manage the tube as well. We traveled from West Hampstead to Heathrow and back with two large suitcases. It may be a little more difficult if you're going at rush hour but you can tough it out, I think.
Jun 6th, 2011, 10:33 PM
Original Poster

Our plane arrives at 10:10 a.m., so rush hour will be well over by,the time we clear customs. We, two young-at-heart widows, have decided to try the tube. Thanks for your encouragement.

I'm still wondering about others' recent experiences with Justairports.
Jun 7th, 2011, 01:00 AM

When they say 4 passengers, they mean 3 in the back and one up front. There's not room to put a carry on case in the middle on the floor as there would be a separator like any normal sedan. Just Airports provide phenomenal, affordable service and I use them every time I fly out of Heathrow or Gatwick (7-8 x per year).
Jun 7th, 2011, 01:16 AM

I'm surprised that you phoned in the middle of the night.
Any time zone converter, e.g.
http://www.timezoneconverter.com/
or even better
http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/
would enable you to phone at a civilised time
Jun 7th, 2011, 07:42 AM

"I'm still wondering about others' recent experiences with Justairports."

Over the years, one or two Fodorites have posted about issues w/ justairports. That is compared to scores (maybe hundreds) who have reported good to excellent service.

Maybe you were just unlucky . . .
Jun 7th, 2011, 08:33 AM
Original Poster

Josser, I'm a night owl. I am always still up at 3 a.m. I simply waited a bit and phoned at 4 .

My major beef with my email interaction with Justairports is that they wouldn't answer my question about getting a round trip price. When I asked for clarification in my second email, the response was "Your reservation is cancel [sic]."
Jun 7th, 2011, 08:59 AM

I had a bad experience a couple of years ago, but it was with the driver not the company and, arguably, just one incident out of many. Since then I always use Ray Skinner with London-Transports.
Jun 7th, 2011, 12:02 PM

It sounds to me that, based on the contacts, the vendor just felt you would be too much of a problem passenger to bother with. And no - it isn;t reasonable to try to put wheeled luggage inside a vehicle. A purse or a tote bag yes, wheeled luggage - no.
Jun 7th, 2011, 03:09 PM

My, you are going on vaction and you spend tons of time on a few pounds. Really, enjoy your trip and don't fret over things you cannot control.