Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

JustAirports.com / has anyone ever used it?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27th, 2006, 12:20 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello,
i'm thinking of booking a private transfer car from Luton to Central London, and this company gives me the best price. Does anyone know anything about it? Is it reliable etc?
Thanks.
Old Dec 27th, 2006, 12:35 AM

I've used it twice from Heathrow & have no complaints. Less than half the price of a taxi & both times the driver was waiting for me.
Old Dec 27th, 2006, 05:01 AM

I've used them twice in the last 2 years and had no problems. I think the drivers are independent contractors who use their own cars, so you may not be riding in the typical black sedan. However, both the cars were clean and the drivers were courteous (and safe drivers).
Old Dec 27th, 2006, 05:22 AM

There have been almost countless posts here about them, nearly all glowing reports. Last night someone posted they are having trouble getting an answer from them, and one day I had trouble accessing their website.
I've always used Swiss Cottage Cars, a similar company that also has a website, but is MUCh cheaper if you call them with your details and get a quote.
I use this number for a cheap call from the US:
101-6868-011-44-207-431-2700

But if you can make contact with Just Airports I wouldn't hesitate to do that either. But do pay cash -- a lot cheaper than using a credit card with them.
Old Dec 27th, 2006, 05:43 AM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
I have used Just Airports several times and it has always worked out fine. There have been a couple of complaints here from people who had less satisfactory experiences, but the drivers are all independent contractors and apparently there have been a couple who were less professional than the ones I have always met. This will always be my first choice in London (unless I find a less expensive service).
Old Dec 27th, 2006, 05:50 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
&quot;<i>JustAirports.com / has anyone ever used it?</i>&quot;

If you do a search you'll soon find that JustAirports is practically the &quot;official&quot; car service on Fodors . There are (probably no exaggeration) a couple hundred threads that mention them.

Used to be Ray Skinner and/or Swiss Cottage were the car services w/ the most recs. But since those two have raised their prices to near black cab rates, JustAirports has taken the lead by a mile . . . . .
Old Dec 27th, 2006, 06:27 AM
Original Poster

I didn't know they were so popular! ;-)
Thanks for your replies, i've just made a booking and hope that everything will be fine.
Old Dec 27th, 2006, 12:36 PM

janis, to clarify, Swiss Cottage Cars has not raised their prices. If you call you will get a quote of between 25 and 30 pounds from Heathrow to Central London, just like Just Airports. But they did start a website for tourists which if you book online the prices are much, much higher. Swiss Cottage Cars is actually one name for a very large car service in London which primarily is for locals -- calling gets you a &quot;locals&quot; price. Reserving on line gets you a &quot;tourist&quot; price. That's why I only call them rather than book online.
Old Dec 27th, 2006, 12:40 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Yeah - I knew that. But the prices on the website are quite a bit higher (bad marketing decision by my thinking) so a lot of the folks who used to recommend Swiss Cottage and others now recommend Just Airports. They used to get a ton of recs on here but that has pretty much dried up except when you tell folks it is cheaper to book by phone.
Old Dec 27th, 2006, 01:40 PM

Patrick, I might give them a try back to Heathrow. Thanks for the phone info. I'll call from there.
Old Dec 28th, 2006, 10:15 AM
lyb

Another satisfied customer of JustAirports.com The driver was right outside the luggage area with my name on a sign. He even made a special stop so I could go to a ATM, of course, this was to his benefit as well. He was extremely friendly and pointed out sites on the way to the hotel.

On the way from the hotel to the airport, he was right on time, in fact a little early. This driver wasn't as friendly, but I don't need that, as long as they drive carefully and get me to my destination on time.

I would/will definitely use them again!