Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Just wondering where ya'll are now? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/just-wondering-where-yall-are-now-308856/)

irishdame Apr 20th, 2003 12:31 PM

Just wondering where ya'll are now?

I'm new to Fodors however I noticed sooo many folks just a few short weeks ago covered this site with their fears of going overseas. I'm just wondering what now that the war in Iraq is &quot;over&quot;. Are some you still changing your plans? Do you regret changing plans if you did? Are you glad you didn't travel or do you regret it? Or did you never once give thought to changing anything?<BR>Thanks for the info<BR>

Judyrem Apr 20th, 2003 02:23 PM

I was thinking about cancelling our trip to France &amp; Italy in May, and I am soooooo glad that I did not. Now I am getting myself quite psyched for this trip. The thing that really has me worried, is my inability to converse in French and Italian! But I will try! Judy

Grasshopper Apr 20th, 2003 03:12 PM

I'm very curious about an &quot;Irish dame&quot; who says &quot;ya'll&quot;!

Scarlett Apr 20th, 2003 03:23 PM

<BR>LOL, Grasshopper, exactly what I was wondering~

beagle Apr 20th, 2003 04:48 PM

To: Grasshopper - wondering the same thing my self Re: 'y'all' yet she is 'Irish Dame'???<BR><BR>I travelled to Europe during the build-up to the second Gulf War and found that Heathrow Airport was surrounded by the British Army and their tanks.<BR>My first thought was 'Oh good!' this will put people off flying and half-empty 'planes meant that I might be up-graded to first-class - no such luck!!!!!

Betty1 Apr 20th, 2003 05:05 PM

And I'm wondering why ya'll would wonder about a Southern Belle - Irish connection, especially you, Katie Scarlett O'Hara!

cigalechanta Apr 20th, 2003 05:21 PM

And oh, My sisters, like Scarlet and Betsy, and you others, who I will soon know better, we are most of all here for you and each other, happy easter, My dog ate his fill how about your pup, scarlet?

Sue4 Apr 20th, 2003 05:37 PM

I was a little concerned about my May 1st trip to France, but not enough to cancel. But American Airlines cancelled my direct return flight to Miami! Now I have to go thru JFK and get home 5 hours later. They never notified me, I found out by calling them. Well, I just hope they'll still be flying! And I hope my portfolio doesn't keep plummeting, or this will be my last trip. (I'm no longer working). It's nice to have more time, but would be nicer to have more money to better use that time!

cigalechanta Apr 20th, 2003 05:46 PM

Sue, I am in the same situation. And frozen pipes and a few 1000 dollars surgery for my pup has left us unable to go in May when we first planned, but after seling a few things, I no longer need, I think we may be able to go in September.

Scarlett Apr 20th, 2003 06:19 PM

<BR>Betty- Scarlett would never call herself an Irish &quot;dame&quot; :) even if I did marry a Yankee!<BR>Mimi, darlin, Pup was in NY state today, walking along the Hudson River, working up a big appetite! He enjoyed his dinner very much, thank you m'am:)<BR>I hope your lil pup is fine now~

indytravel Apr 20th, 2003 06:27 PM

Never once thought of changing my mind. I'm still leaving for France for 2 weeks this Friday. It'll be a long week at work. :-)

wemr Apr 20th, 2003 06:46 PM

A'm goin to Disney World ya'll. None a that foriegn stuff for me an my famly. Not gettin on any plane with forieners with turbins.<BR><BR>Got to get back to the all yous can eat buffet (dam FRENCH word).<BR><BR>latter

irishdame Apr 20th, 2003 07:04 PM

Thanks all for your responses! I'm glad to see that those who wrote back haven't changed their plans! <BR><BR>Since you're all wondering, I'm an American, of Irish descent, orginaly from Pennsylvania, living in Florida. I love football, especially the Fighting Irish of Notre Dame University, hence Irishdame. <BR><BR>As for the &quot;ya'll&quot;, it's a dirty habit I picked up after moving to Florida 15 years ago. <BR><BR>Still a Yankee, <BR>irishdame<BR><BR>

Betsy Apr 20th, 2003 07:28 PM

Why thank you, cigalechanta! Happy Easter to you as well. I'm glad your pup is on the mend after expensive surgery and was able to eat his fil. Sorry I don't have a pup to report in on (other than the Fodor pup, who's who knows where these days!).

Clifton Apr 20th, 2003 09:13 PM

Ya'll,<BR><BR>I've been sitting here trying to teach myself Italian, despite the tin ear I have for languages. Now, if Italian can have a singular and a plural pronoun form of &quot;you&quot;, why can't English? Let's all evolve together, on the count of three...1, 2, 3 :0)<BR><BR>I'm just a poor transplanted midwestern/German farmboy, sent to the south whether I wanted it or not. But if the Italians see the wisdom in &quot;ya'll&quot; then so do I. <BR><BR>Tu/Voi, You/Ya'll, Easy/Peasy<BR><BR>Even if you're Irish, when in Rome(Georgia)...

Betsy Apr 21st, 2003 07:01 AM

...make that &quot;eat his fill,&quot; not fil--where's that edit function, Fodors?<BR><BR>I'm a transplanted Southern Magnolia too. Born and bred in the Shenandoah mountains of Virginia, honey chile. Now living in California, which is a long way from the South, both in distance and culture. Also married a Yankee (much to my mother's chagrin).<BR><BR>To get this thread back on track, if I'd had plans to go overseas I wouldn't have cancelled. I've been to Europe in the past during political instability and lived to tell the tale. The pre-trip uncertainty evaporated when setting foot on European soil.

Therese Apr 21st, 2003 08:41 AM

Well, y'all, not only did I not cancel travel, I went ahead with plans that happened to coincide with the war and am now back (traveled between April 2 and April 10. No regrets, we all had a great time.<BR><BR>On the other hand, I will be considering some upcoming travel to Vancouver (in August, for work) very carefully, and may cancel depending on where things stand with SARS at that time.<BR><BR>(and it's not ya'll, it's y'all)

irishdame Apr 21st, 2003 08:44 AM

Re: (and it's not ya'll, it's y'all)<BR><BR>Told you all I was a Yankee! LOL can't even spell it right!

Erin Apr 21st, 2003 08:46 AM

Hi Everyone-<BR>My mom, aunt and I had a trip planned for London at the end of Feb./beginning of March. My mom and aunt were totally freaked out about going. They knew that they were probably safer in London than here at home, but were very uneasy about being away from the protection this country provides (I know...) Anyway, we ended up canceling and losing a great package booked through AA Vacations. We were all back together this past weekend, and both admitted that they regretted not going. Oh well- we are rescheduling for October.

capo Apr 21st, 2003 08:49 AM

Therese's right, it's y'all. <BR><BR>Ya'll, on the other hand, is the color of a banana skin. :)