Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Just wondering....Am I the only one who just does not like the new format? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/just-wondering-am-i-the-only-one-who-just-does-not-like-the-new-format-784664/)

JJ127 May 14th, 2009 06:08 PM

Just wondering....Am I the only one who just does not like the new format?

I'm just curious to know if I'm the only one who does not like the new format. I've tried to get used to it, but so far I've not been able to do so.

As a result, I find myself visiting Fodor's less and less. I used to not miss a day without checking the Europe forum, and now I go for days or weeks without checking it.

loves2sing May 14th, 2009 06:38 PM

I don't either! I know it will just take some time getting used to it, but I don't have that kind of time! Websites are always trying to "improve" things but as they say, if it's not broke....

adrienne May 14th, 2009 06:45 PM

If you hung around more you would adjust quicker. I hated the format at first but I'm used to it now. There are still things I dislike about this format (like the clutter) but I try to ignore them.

DeeW May 14th, 2009 06:46 PM

Me too.

DeeW May 14th, 2009 06:53 PM

That was "me too" to the original post.

JaneB May 14th, 2009 08:23 PM

hate it.

grandmere May 14th, 2009 08:30 PM

Still don't like it as well.

greg May 14th, 2009 08:55 PM

I do not like the way I look up past threads.

Previously, all threads were sequenced in one stream. Now, the past threads are grouped by day so an active thread is listed in several archives.

I found the grouping-by-day to be a more time consuming way to look up active threads during last few days.

Is there a way to tag interesting threads without having to do "ttt" or "bookmarking"?

anna_roz May 14th, 2009 08:59 PM

Do not like it at all and, as the OP said, I do not visit quite as often.

Anna

macanimals May 14th, 2009 09:15 PM

I'm getting used to it but am totally frustrated with the search function--maybe I'm doing something wrong but so far, it has been useless. Paul

cathies May 15th, 2009 01:10 AM

I'm used to it now. The only thing I don't like is being confronted with my own posts when I first log in. For me, my last post was in May 2008 and not really relevant now. I'd like that to be a separate tab where I could look at my own post if it particularly wanted to.

My only complaint is that there is an awful lot of white space which I'm not mad about. Apart from that I'm used to it now and don't mind it all.

hanl May 15th, 2009 01:44 AM

I don't really like it either, and spend much less time on here than I used to.

I also post less, particularly on the Europe board. I didn't often post questions but would often answer them, but I now find it hard to navigate through the various lists of posts so tend to give up after a few clicks!

adrienne May 15th, 2009 03:10 AM

greg - the threads used to be in groups of 50 and then you had to go to the next screen. The new format is similar but shows all posts by date of the last post so you may see more than 50 before you have to click on the next screen (now called "older" rather than the original wording of "next 50 threads.") but it's the same premise, just different words. If the words "newer" and "older" were substituted for "previous" and "next" you wouldn't see any difference except you would see the total number of posts per day rather than 50 posts per screen.

Interesting threads - you can bookmark them or copy link location (using your mouse right click button on the title). The copy link location can be put into a Word file and is hyperlinked automatically. You then use that hyperlink to access the thread you want to refer to.

You can also email the thread to yourself. Open the thread. At the top, just below the thread title, is an orange bar called "share with a friend." That friend can be yourself. Click on the orange bar and send yourself an email that links back to the thread.

macanimals - use the advanced search function and check the box "search full topic and replies" and you will find the search function is actually working now rather than the sporatic way it was working or not working. There's been lots of threads that were missing for years that have resurfaced since they may now be searched.

cathies - not sure what you are doing but I only see my own posts only when I go to my profile. I have the Europe board bookmarked and see only the current topics when I go to this site. This is the bookmark I use to access the Europe board:

http://www.fodors.com/community/europe/

That white space is a problem. I'm using Firefox browser and have it set to eliminate that white space which is hard on the eyes but it does mush up the text at the top of the screen but that's not important to me. If you're using Firefox, from the top tool bar: View/Zoom/Zoom text only. This gets rid of almost all the white space. The down side is that you really can't see the "advance search" except for the tippy top of the letters but you can still click on the advanced search option. The pop up boxes are too short but you can pull down the bottom side of them and enlarge them. I've found that I can live with the short dialog boxes and the smushed words at the top in favor of not blinding my eyes.

Hope this helps!

Dukey May 15th, 2009 04:08 AM

I'm sorry but when it takes THAT MUCH TIME AND THAT MUCH WORK....

jetsetj May 15th, 2009 04:55 AM

Im not thrilled with it .... but...
What other forum in worth a diddle?
TripAdvisor layout drives me nuts.

ellenem May 15th, 2009 05:49 AM

At a recent GTG in NYC, Fodor's moderator Katie_H was on hand and spoke of improvements to come in the next few months, some only hints of things to come. She mentioned in particular that they are working diligently to find a better solution to the threads organized by date, especially considering the forums that get less action.

The biggest complaint that will never be solved is the old format of thread list to the left and open thread to right with many fewer clicks to navigate between. This system of frames apparently had to be revised in order to handle the ever-increasing web traffic. Her best solution is to open threads in a new window and then you can navigate similarly to before.

I'm actually surprised at how receptive and reactive Fodor's has been to our suggestions and how patient they are with our complaints (especially after stories shared at the same GTG about the demise of the AOL travel forums). After all, this is a free service.

Christina May 15th, 2009 05:58 AM

no, I don't like it, either, and I'm sorry to be critical, but I think it's about the worst website design I've ever seen (in terms of places with forums like this). I have gotten used to it, I just don't like it at all.

I find I don't read as many posts on various topics as I used to because it's too time-consuming and takes up too much space on the page (that is one thing I really dislike -- you have posts down the left, then some "new" posts at the top right, then "trip reports" at the bottom right and the same post can appear in all of these. Also, there is something weird where they claim something is a new post and you can be the first to respond, and then there are already five responses in it. Because it takes up so much space on the page, I find that I just won't scroll down to read the posts in order, like I used to, and I just click right on the few countries I am most interested in and only read those posts.

I think the color scheme is not very modern or good, either, it looks very old-fashioned. I hope they didn't pay someone to design this, it looks like some part-time intern did it.

kybourbon May 15th, 2009 06:04 AM

I do think they are trying to improve and know the old frames format can't be used, but that is really what made Fodor's so popular. I find it hard to believe they can't come up with something similar. Websites have things scrolling in every direction these days with multiple choices on their pages. It shouldn't be that hard to figure out.

The white background is still a big problem. No other travel website has that harsh of look.

jetsetj May 15th, 2009 06:04 AM

I opened in another window and saw no difference.

adrienne May 15th, 2009 06:09 AM

jetsetj - you have to flip back and forth between the two sessions that you've opened so you look at the thread titles in the left column in one window and the threads in the other window. IMO it's more work.