Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

just when my dining list was finalized, bonjour paris and local paris papers recommend a whole new slew of places to eat!!

just when my dining list was finalized, bonjour paris and local paris papers recommend a whole new slew of places to eat!!

Mar 9th, 2006, 07:35 AM
Original Poster

I already have too many restaurants and not enough days to try them all and now Bonjour paris, a nous paris and figaroscope just recommended a whole new bunch of places to eat. i have tried searching but some are really new and others i have not heard of. any help, recommendations on these (are they worth a visit)
l' abadache
le temps au temps la cerisaie
la ferrandaise
le bistral
carte blanche
les symples de l'os a moelle (is this the tapas bar they were thinking of opening?)
les papilles
cave est restaurant

here is one of the links in french
http://www.figaroscope.fr/restaurants/dossier_164.html
Mar 9th, 2006, 12:50 PM
Original Poster

come on all you foodies! i need help here!!
Mar 9th, 2006, 12:57 PM

When are you going? I will be happy to test a few out for you - please send credit card details!
Mar 9th, 2006, 01:32 PM

ARRRRGGGHHHH!!!!

I too had just finalized my dining list after culling thru my database.

Mar 9th, 2006, 01:38 PM

well, flexibility and serendipity may be playing in your dining!!!
If you're out and about and one of these is where you need it to be - et voila! Bon Appetit...

What the "heck", great restaurants go bad...new great one's open... (Why do I hear Elton John singing "circle of life" behind me?) And you get to be the first on "our block" to report back!!
And you'll get all the kudos...
Mar 9th, 2006, 01:57 PM

plambers,
I have been to l'Abadache,Temps au Temps,La Cerisaie, and Les Papilles. They all four have much in common; they are small, excellent value, casual, usually run by 2 people and very good. I would return to all of them in a heartbeat. La Ferrandaise and Symples de l'Os à Moëlle are new since my Oct. visit. Le Bistral is right across the street from l'Abadache. The others are scattered all over Paris.
Mar 9th, 2006, 02:03 PM

Gosh. We've spent the last couple of months paring our list down and haven't run across any of yours. I may have to rethink this.

So far we have reserved:
Taillevent
Table de Joel Robuchon
Le Comptoir

We're all set to reserve at the 30-day mark:
L'Ami Louis
L'Astrance

After that,we won't have any money left for Le Grand Vefour or Le Meurice so we're looking for a couple of bistros to fill in the gaps.
Mar 9th, 2006, 03:07 PM

noted...make sure you report for us !
Mar 9th, 2006, 03:21 PM

I had lunch at l'abadache and didn't enjoy it. It's a very simple place, not much if any atmosphere. Others have liked it much more than I did

We are dining at Carte Blanche in April. It looks very interesting!
Mar 10th, 2006, 05:27 AM
Original Poster

laidback and linda, thanks. laidback, if you had to pick 2 from the 4 you cited, which were your favorites? Temp au Temps and La Cerisaie seem to have the most interesting selections. Carte blanche has been likened to Ze Kitchen Galerie, which is on our tentative list, so I'd need to choose.
Linda how did you get reservations at Le comptoir? I called almost 3 months prior to our May trip and was told they were booked til June! Astrance is amazing-we ate their our last time. How did you find out about the 30 day booking for L'Ami Louis? When are you going and what is your Sunday selection?
Mar 10th, 2006, 05:36 AM
Neopolitan

It's my understanding that the wildly popular Le Comptoir holds a large number of table for possible bookings by clients at the hotel -- Relais St. Germaine. Several people have remarked that they have been successful in booking the same day when those tables are released to the public.

Mar 10th, 2006, 06:22 AM
Original Poster

Neopolitan, you are correct. The majority of tables are held for hotel guests and I will do my best to try to snag a table! thanks
Mar 10th, 2006, 01:44 PM

Plambers,
Actually, we are staying at the Relais St. Germain and that's the only reason we are. The DH has been dying to go there and this is the only way to assure a reservation in advace. (He's also anal retentive and has to have all the reservations in place long before we leave ;-))

We found about about the 30 day wait last year when we tried to book L'Ami Louis and L'Astrance in advance. We got the American Express concierge to book them for us but sadly, thanks to Hurrican Katrina and her evil twin Rita, we had to cancel that trip.

Ah, Sunday. We like to eat at Pre Catalan for Sunday lunch but that might put too many expensive meals on this trip. I think we're trying for L'Ami Louis on Sunday this time. (Not that that's going to be cheap)

Our dates are April 27 to May 12, with a side trip to Beaune in the middle.

When are you going? I do hate to miss Pre Catalan in the spring though. We usually go in the autumn and I'd love to see their garden in the springtime for once. That has to be the most beautiful dining room in Paris.
Mar 10th, 2006, 03:02 PM

I, too will rethink my meals in Paris when we go in June. Does everyone think Le Comptoir is better than Taillevent for a splurge restaurant? We're only there three nights and want to try some new places. Thanks!
Mar 10th, 2006, 03:20 PM

italy06, Le Comptoir and Taillevent are TOTALLY different experiences. Le Comptoir is a tiny bistro with very casual atmosphere, opened by a well known chef who is not interested in playing the Michelin game. I think his dinner prix fixe price is somewhere in the area of 40 Euros. Taillevent is a Michelin 3 star with all that implies about decoration, service, price, etc. Both great in their own way, but not a comparable experience.

Plambers, I've eaten twice at Les Papilles, loved it the first time, less the second. It's a great deal for excellent country-style cooking and the wine choices and prices are great. However, I preferred even that second meal to our experience at La Cerisaie. The food was fine, but the room is so small that there is almost literally no room between any of the very few tables. This is not to say that Papilles is in any sense roomy, but a major step up.

I haven't tried any of the others on your list, but intend to try as many as possible during my May stay in Paris.
Mar 10th, 2006, 03:23 PM

Thanks, shellio. It seems I may have to go to both places!
Mar 10th, 2006, 05:25 PM

Le Comptior only recently reopened after being closed for a month due to rethinking their kitchen.
Mar 10th, 2006, 06:57 PM

I'm sure I'm in the minority here, but I'd never go back to Taillevent unless someone else picked up the tab.

Mar 13th, 2006, 05:32 AM
Original Poster

Linda, we will be there April 28-May 6. Maybe we will join you for the Le Comptoir dinner!
Shellio, thanks for your advice. I already have too many restaurants so Les Papilles it may be. I hate sitting on top of other diners.
Mar 13th, 2006, 06:40 AM

Plambers,
We have reservations at Le Comptoir for May 2. Hope to see you there!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO