Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Just when I thought I was giving up packing light...

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9th, 2002, 09:05 AM
amy

We finally were on the plane going to France for 2 1/2 weeks. I had just spent 2 1/2 exhausting weeks getting ready for the trip--and I'm not exaggerating. With two growing children, shopping to even start the packing had become my largest obstacle. And the major reason for it being such an obstacle was that we were determined to keep our "travel light" policy.<BR>As the flight took off, I just wondered if it had been worth it.<BR><BR>In the prior 2 1/2 weeks I had organized our family of four for a trip that included 9 days of biking with a tour group, 4 days in Paris before the trip and 3 1/2 days of road trip afterward. In 17 days we would stay at seven hotels. Travelling by plane, train, bike, bus and car, we had to be prepared for lots of rain, have all the right bicycle gear, have three "dress" outfits, "walking around" clothes and have enough layers for temperatures that would range from 55 to 90 degrees.<BR><BR>The goal: one 22" carry-on suitcase and one rather large backpack per person.<BR><BR>Spending my last hour of packing putting in items and taking out items so make everything fit, I seriously wondered if this effort was worth it. It was so tempting to go down to the basement and pull up the large suitcases. After all, we weren't going to do "carry-on" on this trip. Because we were staying 4 days in Paris, we had confidence in checking the luggage on the non-stop flight. If it somehow got lost, there would be four days to trace it. I had to keep picturing in my mind a trip to London four years ago when we overpacked. Luckily my shins remember the bruises even if my heart doesn't, so I continued with our small-size gameplan.<BR><BR>Well, as soon as we landed at CDG, the payback began. Family of four in the cab? No problem--our stuff obviously would fit. Small hotel rooms? No problem. As Rex has pointed out before, two small cases fit where one large one won't. We were able to run for a train, ride a local bus and haul our own cases up three stories on a spiral staircase. The car we reserved wasn't available; the rental agent was quite worried about our stuff fitting into the boot of the substitution car. Again, no problem. <BR><BR>I'm hoping the kids won't grow so much in the coming year so I can reuse this year's shopping efforts. Even so, I'm going to write down all the ways going small created ease and flexibility on the trip so that I can resist the impulse to go big.<BR>

Old Aug 9th, 2002, 09:26 AM
Liz

Amy- good for you! It does work, doesn't it.<BR><BR>Another thing I do after I get back- make a note of what I brought along and DIDN'T use. That list gets shorter with every trip.

Old Aug 9th, 2002, 09:33 AM
Ronda

Good story, Amy. I was glad we had kept to our 22" suitcases this past July when our flight from SJC to LA got cancelled. We had checked our luggage through to Switzerland (American, Swiss) thinking we wouldn't need to bother with it. We were able to retrieve our baggage in SJC but barely made the SW flight to LA. Thank goodness we had gaudy luggage tags and ribbons on the suitcases making them highly visible to the luggage handlers pulling them off the plane. Easy to describe.<BR><BR>We were able to carry our luggage on the SW flight otherwise we never would have made it. In LA we took the shuttle from the SW Terminal to the International terminal and then had to run pulling 22" suitcases. We couldn't believe we made it! Couldn't have done it with larger bags.

Old Aug 9th, 2002, 10:32 AM
Jen

" we had to be prepared for lots of rain, have all the right bicycle gear, have three "dress" outfits, "walking around" clothes and have enough layers for temperatures that would range from 55 to 90 degrees. . . . I'm hoping the kids won't grow so much in the coming year so I can reuse this year's shopping efforts."<BR><BR>I'm confused. What was the 2.5 weeks of shopping and preparation all about? Didn't your family already own all this stuff? Do you live someplace where it never rains, or where the temperature never goes up to 90 or down to 55??

Old Aug 9th, 2002, 12:09 PM
Rex

Thanks for the kind remarks and a great post.<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>

Old Aug 9th, 2002, 01:25 PM
Marina

LOOOVED Liz's idea to make a list after every trip of what did not get used. Although I'm a relatively frequent traveler, I am a notoriously over-packer (you'd think I would have learned my lesson by now), and I think following that practice will help in subsequent trips. Thanks, Liz!

Old Aug 9th, 2002, 02:10 PM
ellie

So Amy, what were the women, 50ish wearing in Paris? Love to read specifics on your choice of clothing for youself, is there something you didn't have that you would take next time? Will be staying in Paris for at least a week.<BR>Thanks

Old Aug 9th, 2002, 02:28 PM
steve

We went with our 2 kids with 2 carry ons apiece. <BR><BR>You must have rented bikes rather than taking your own. If you do take your own bike, pack the bike box with as much as you need.

Old Aug 9th, 2002, 04:17 PM

ttt<BR>

Old Aug 10th, 2002, 03:15 AM
amy

Ellie: I'm the last person to consult on Paris fashion. We stayed in Le Marais--anything goes there. And I mean anything. We never ventured near the Champs Elysee, so I won't be able to give a high fashion report at all.<BR><BR>Still, we can tell you that French women tend not to wear shorts. Some did (and I'm thinking most of those people were probably tourists), but summer dresses, skirts, and tight slacks ruled. Very few capris. Many older men were wearing cargo shorts and fishing vests (!!). Did not see that last summer. There were fewer bowling shoe tennies this time.<BR><BR>Ellie, even though we're not experts, I would not worry at all about fitting in fashion wise. As most of the posters would agree, as long as one stays away from the pink jogging suit, one can wear just about anything. My family members don't take jeans, but that practice has nothing to do with looking fashionable. They're just too heavy for the suitcase, and they can't be washed/dried in our hotel rooms.<BR><BR>

Old Aug 10th, 2002, 07:35 AM
Red

Ellie, I was in Paris in May so I can't help you with the summer attire, but I can tell you that all I remember is that everyone seemed to have a really cool handbag and really cool shoes. Amy is right in that anything goes. The trick is to wear something comfortable and WEAR IT girl. And by that I mean have an attitude about it. I personally would take long and short black skirts from Chicos and several tops. Skirts are good for the ever-changing ever-surprising bathroom configurations and for that well-placed summer breeze. I'm 48, can't wear the tight jeans anymore, and need a little comfort, especially after a big Parisian dinner.