Reload this Page >

Just saw Captain Corelli's Mandolin - the movie

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17th, 2001, 07:19 PM
Gail

and I must say, I was a little disappointed. Loved, loved the book (slog through the first 100 pages to get to the good stuff), and I was hoping the movie would sweep me away. The scenery did (Greek island of Cephalonia), but Nicholas Cage as Captain Corelli was as moving as wallpaper. Sorry, Cage-lovers, but it's true. Penelope Cruz was beautiful, but could have used a little more dialogue to go with the "pouty looks"; and William Hurt (?) as Dr. Iannis, was brilliant and so perfectly cast. <BR> <BR>The story itself is very touching and based on real events during WW2 - read the dedication at the end of the movie. <BR> <BR>What did you think? <BR> <BR>Who would you have cast as Captain Corelli? <BR> <BR>Travel connection: ummmm.....makes me want to go to Cephalonia!

Old Aug 17th, 2001, 07:42 PM
Bert

"Rat Race" blows Corelli away. At least the people in that can act.

Old Aug 17th, 2001, 07:58 PM
Sue

I saw Captain Corelli's Mandolin today and agree about Nicholas Cage and Penalope Cruz. I enjoyed the movie and liked the story, but Nicholas wasn't very convincing.. no real emotion came thru on his part. Penalope was beautiful and convincing. And I agree, William Hurt's part was perfect for him. <BR> <BR>Some of the scenes from the war were so realistic looking. And shocking to see! <BR> <BR>The scenery was beautiful. I'm going to Greece in 28 days and that movie activated my excitement about going. <BR> <BR>

Old Aug 17th, 2001, 10:34 PM
J

What's a Cage-lover? The only decent work he's done was in "Leaving Las Vegas" and everyone's forgotten that. His uncle no longer has the pull he had in Hwood since Mario Puzo cashed in and people figured ou that there would be no Gfather IV. <BR>It's sad that such a great book's movie opp. met it's demise with the casting crew.

Old Aug 17th, 2001, 10:51 PM
Holly

Not to divert people away from the Fodor's board, but there's an interesting thread on the book and movie on the about.com italian culture board. Take a look. <BR> <BR>It's a little more intellectual than acting and dialogue. (Wish we had more of that on this forum.)

Old Aug 18th, 2001, 05:32 AM
airone verde

Holly, thanks for the lead. I'd missed that topic on the Delphi board.

Old Aug 18th, 2001, 05:47 AM
Gail

Ouch! <BR> <BR>Thanks, Holly, I'll check it out. <BR> <BR>BTW, it's John Hurt, not William Hurt (guess my ignorance was showing - hate it when that happens! ;&gt)

Old Aug 18th, 2001, 06:10 AM
Beth Anderson

thank you Holly, a very interesting thread. I hope I can find those books mentioned. I agree with the posters - a by product of reading the book (which I loved) was wanting to learn more about the real story behind it. <BR> <BR>btw, I saw the movie in London in May - it was execrable. I made a point of seeing it while I was there as it had just opened and I didn't want to wait until August- ugh it was bad. <BR> <BR>Beth

Old Aug 18th, 2001, 06:20 AM
juliana

I haven't seen the movie, but I adored the book. And don't think I'll go based on everyone's comments. Can anyone recommend any other books by de Bernieres?

Old Aug 18th, 2001, 08:49 AM
Kavey

I have read two others, one with a title to do with the war of don emmanuel's nether parts and one other the name of which I have forgotten... <BR> <BR>If anyone can provide a list of his other titles, I can post a review of the ones I have read... <BR> <BR>Kavey <BR> <BR>PS They were very funny, a very different thing from Corelli...

Old Aug 18th, 2001, 11:27 AM
Beth Anderson

here is a very interesting link, from the forum Holly mentioned: <BR> <BR>http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Agor...s/corelli.html

Old Aug 18th, 2001, 11:42 AM
tourist

Last year, I rented an Italian version of the movie made years ago. Did anyone else see it? I cannot remember the title. It was excellent.

Old Aug 19th, 2001, 08:37 AM
kav

Don Vivio and the Coca Lord was the other one and it was also excellent... <BR> <BR>Best to read them in order... <BR> <BR>Kav

Old Aug 19th, 2001, 09:39 AM
Sue

Gail, You said William and I didn't even notice and agreed with you about the part. Guess it was just not thinking at the end of a long day or I need more ginko. <BR> <BR>I tried to find Cephalonia on my map of Greece and couldn't. Anyone know what it's near?

Old Aug 20th, 2001, 03:53 AM
Marc

Penelope Cruz was excellent! Nick Cage was so-so.

Old Aug 20th, 2001, 05:14 AM
sandy

I used to try to convince myself that I was a Nicolas Cage fan; after all, he did star in one of my favorite screwball movies of all time, "Raising Arizona" Save "Leaving Las Vegas" he hasn't made anything I enjoyed watching since. Did anyone see "Face Off"?! Ugh! <BR>Oh yeah, and he was good in "Moonstruck" too. I guess those low budget early days can't last forever. <BR> <BR>I read on this board a few months ago that his accent in Captain Corelli was atrocious; is that the case?

Old Aug 20th, 2001, 07:04 AM
xx

I don't understand the attraction for Penelope Cruz. I don't think she's pretty at all! And I've never cared for Cage.

Old Aug 20th, 2001, 07:44 AM
No Bleeding Heart

Thanks for all the comments! Thought I wanted to see it, but I don't think I've seen a positive review (pro or amateur) yet. <BR> <BR>I like Cage, mainly because I used to party with a guy who reminded me of him. (If Cage would wear really nerdy glasses and Hush Puppies...) <BR>

Old Aug 20th, 2001, 08:04 AM
Mariarosa

OK, I'll play devil's advocate. If you haven't read the book or know the historical events on which the book is based, you will find the movie touching and interesting. In general, I find that reading the book before watching the movie really spolis the movie for me - I already know "too much" going into the movie to enjoy it, and I already have formed a visual representation of what the character sounds like and looks like. <BR> <BR>The setting in the movie is breathtaking, the story has plenty of emotion, the events on which it is based on are moving and interesting, and the war scenes seemed pretty realistic. Sure, Nicholas Cage's accent is distracting at first, and I was never able to overcome thinking of him as "American," and the movie does play up some stereotypes pretty heartily, but John Hurt, Penelope, Christian Bale (who does a terrific accent!), and the woman who plays Mandras' mother all do a good job. It's not going to earn Oscars, but it's better than 95% of the movies out there.

Old Aug 20th, 2001, 09:11 AM
NickCage

I'm really put off by all your critical comments. I worked very hard on this movie. It's not easy doing a love scene with Penelope Cruz!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -