Reload this Page >

Just returned Istanbul, Athens, Santorini

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22nd, 2000, 06:25 AM
Bobbie

We just returned from two weeks and had a wonderful trip so if you have questions maybe we can help with some answers

Old Jun 22nd, 2000, 01:27 PM
Monica

Hello Bobbie, <BR> <BR>I returned form 2 weeks in Germany and loved it! My thoughts for a trip next year is either Greece or Turkey OR a combination of both. <BR> <BR>I would love to hear about where you visited, the hotels (prices, location, etc) you stayed in, and any special comments on your trip! <BR> <BR>Thanks! Monica

Old Jun 22nd, 2000, 03:43 PM
Thyra

Hi Bobby, <BR>We are leaving for Greece in October and I am curious about everything! But just to narrow it down. What was your impression of Athens? Likes/Dislikes? Is there any practical information that would come in handy? Like I know in Paris the taxi's charge a per bag suplement, anything unusual that it would be helpful to know in advance. Also, how did you get to Santorini? Fly or ferry? Any Athens/Santorini hotel info would be appreciated!! Thanks

Old Jun 22nd, 2000, 05:18 PM
Martha

I just got back from Santorini and Athens as well. I spent 1 1/2 days in Athens and - while I was glad I stopped there to see the Acropolis - I didn't like Athens at all. Santorini, on the other hand, has to be one of the most beautiful places on earth. It really is stunning - but you have to see it to believe it. I stayed at the Loucas Hotel in Fira - which was very nice. Oia was a beautiful looking town - where I would stay if I went again. There's a local bus between Oia and Fira, so transportation really isn't a problem. I walked the path between Fira and Oia which was really fun - takes about 3 hours and is for relatively fit people. Have fun - I did. <BR>Martha <BR> <BR>

Old Jun 22nd, 2000, 05:51 PM
Bearcat

I had a fantastic trip (Summer '99)on the Renaissance I cruise ship, visiting Athens and Santorini, as well as Rhodes, Kusadasi and Istanbul. Flew from JFK to Athens, stayed at Athens Hilton for 2 1/2 days; flew home from Istanbul. Athens Hilton is within walking distance of Plaka and Acropolis. Jogged from Hilton to stadium where Olympics were held. Awesome stadium. Ask Bell Captain at Hilton to arrange for English speaking taxi for the day(s). We were most pleased with Bill and George, former Hilton employees who now share a taxi. Over two days (for about $100/day) they took us to local areas like Acropolis and Changing of Guards, but also to Corinth, Corinth Canal, monasteries, forts; places we would have never seen on our own and much more than on a tour, for about $12 more. <BR> <BR>Santorini is a beautiful place, with lots of history to explore. Be sure to visit the art galleries. Great photo opportunities. Some "jumped ship" there to spend more time and met up with cruise in Istanbul. <BR> <BR>Great trip! <BR> <BR>

Old Jun 23rd, 2000, 08:30 AM
Thyra

Martha, thanks for the glowing review! We are booked at the Loucas also and I am counting the days!

Old Jun 23rd, 2000, 09:08 AM
Robin

Re Athens-- It's such a contrast with islands like Santorini, that it has to suffer by comparison, but I really enjoyed Athens. There is much to see, the people are nice, I felt safe walking at all hours, enjoyed the Plaka. Don't miss the National Archaeological Museum (I think that's the right name), especially if you will be seeing Akrotiri, as the original frescoes that were removed from the sight (and which are on all the posters, tee shirts, yadda, yadda...) are there, as well as a wealth of other cool stuff. The museum also help to put all the tourist tchatchkes (sp?) into perspective-- once you see the real thing they have much more meaning! <BR> <BR>But on the other hand, I will never forget Santorini!

Old Jun 27th, 2000, 07:55 AM
Bobbie

to Monica and Thyra, Sorry I haven't responded sooner but have been terribly busy at the office....we began our trip to Istanbul because we couldn't get a direct flight to Athens using our frequent flyer miles and it was the best part of the trip. We stayed at Hotel Spina which Paulo had recommeded here and it's right in the center of Sultanhamet, the historical area, very convenient, clean and safe about $90 a might with breakfast and they provide transportation to and from airport. The carpet dealers seemed persistent in the beginning but were harmless with a good sense of humor. The historical sites were beautiful and it's a magical place. Great food and restaurant. We flew at Athens and stayed at the Acropolis View Hotel, very convenient, about $80 a night, good breakfast with a great roof garden to watch the light show on the Acropolis at night, the Plaka area had good dining and a few days was all we needed there. You will survive the taxi drivers but try to get directions to your hotel before you arrive otherwise you may get a scenic tour. Then we flew to Santorini and stayed at Loucas Hotel, fine rooms, beautiful views and another area of delicious dining. I guess we make up for our modest rooms by having great meals. I can recommend restaurants if you're interested. We did some tours on Santorini through the hotel and they were interesting and fun (and I'm not a bus person). Let me know if you have other questions and I'll try to respond. This gives me the chance to relive our trip!