Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Just returned from Venice: Pensione Accademia in Dorsoduro - perfect.

Mar 15th, 2005, 10:39 AM
Original Poster

I am a newcomer to the forum and not certain how to post a "Trip Report", but would love to mention that our trip to Venice was especially wonderful because of our choice of hotel ~ Pensione Accademia Villa Maravege, Villa of Wonders. All of the anxiety I had of whether our home for the next seven nights would be not only comfortable but special, disappeared within a minute or two of reaching the hotel's landing dock. The quiet canal, the siestre of Dorsoduro, and the kind staff who welcomed us, really put us at ease, and the Giorgia suite was a perfect fit for the three of us. That said, how I could go on about our first trip to Venice! Maybe an experienced Fodorite could explain how I can enter a Report so that I can relive the past week in this most wonderful city. Thanks!
Mar 15th, 2005, 10:47 AM

You enter a report just like you entered your message above. Just be sure to break up the text into paragraphs because it's almost impossible to read on-line otherwise. If you put images on-line also, then you might want to post a link to them as well.
Mar 15th, 2005, 10:52 AM

And a website to your place in Venice. I'd love to have that. Thanks! I look forward to reading your report.
Mar 15th, 2005, 10:59 AM

No pressure, but should you decide to write a report there are probably many of us who would love to read it.

As long, as noted above, you break it up so it's easy to read, visually, your style is your style. Free associate, whatever.

I'm glad you had a good time!
Mar 15th, 2005, 11:32 AM

Chiara, Please do! Just answer your own post with new ones about different parts of your trip.
Mar 15th, 2005, 02:57 PM

topping so I can follow this one...

Chiara - how did you spend your seven days? Daytrips? Islands? Every museum/church you could find? Did you relish sleeping in? Staying out late? Perhaps if we pump you with enough questions you can write your report easily! Looking forward to it - Trav
Mar 15th, 2005, 07:31 PM

Hi Chiara, welcome home! How wonderful you enjoyed your time in Venice.

As others have said, just use the same posting as you did for this thread of yours. And yes, do make paragraphs when you write your report. Easy to do. Write a paragraph, then click your "Enter" key twice so that there will be a space between paragraphs. That makes it so much easier for everyone to read.

Regarding your trip report. I think it would be great if you told us how you arrived. By train, by air, by car?

How did you get to Venice proper and your hotel. By land bus, water taxi, by varporetto; from the airport, train station etc. This always seems to be, understandably, the question that first time visitors have regarding visiting Venice.

A description of your hotel perhaps.
What restaurants/cafes did you like, any you did not care for.

What were your favorite sights in Venice. Any that you found not worthwhile? Are there any funny stories (getting lost while walking through Venice, a crabby waiter etc.)

How did you find the prices for restaurants, transportation etc. Something travellers are always interested in.

How did you get back from your hotel to the train station or the airport or your rental car. Again, a question first time visitors to Venice always have.

Did you go anywhere else in Italy. If so where.

It seems to be from reading the first part of your report that your week in Venice was wonderful. May I say that your first report is well written and very descriptive of the anxiety and then the joy you had when you arrived at your hotel.

I am, as I am sure many of us are, looking forward to hearing about the rest of your week. Thank you for posting and sharing your trip with us.
Mar 15th, 2005, 09:18 PM

Chiara, you were fortunate indeed to stay at Pensione Accademia. I have wanted to stay there for years, ever since I saw the movie "Summertime." Maybe someday. sigh

Look forward to hearing about your trip.
Mar 17th, 2005, 01:40 PM
Original Poster

To Giovanna, who may or may not read my Trip Report, I had planned on responding to your message regarding our hotel within the text, but...alas, I forgot. It is true that it is reported that the Pensione Accademia Villa Maravege is said to be "the summer residence of K. Hepburn in "Summertime". I have to say the only thing I recognized (maybe?!) was the fireplace in the sitting room ~ the villa, after all, it's been 50 years, has either been entirely rearranged (which I doubt) or the lovely terrace in the movie and the way it is shown to sit on the canal must have actually been other shot locations. My guess is that the sitting room and perhaps her bedroom suite and balcony might have been of the villa -- but even the staircase - you couldn't say it is the same. I regret not asking the gentlemen at the desk - maybe they would have some record of that history.
Mar 17th, 2005, 01:46 PM

Thanks for your reply. I seem to remember hearing that the movie was filmed both on location and studio lots, but I have no idea what was done where. Even though the hotel has changed, I would still love to stay there some day.

It's interesting that your forum name is Chiara. Our favorite hotel in Rome is the Santa Chiara. Any reference there?

Thanks again.
Mar 18th, 2005, 06:09 AM
Original Poster

Yes, the reference is definitely to the Santa Chiara in Rome. It's a long story, and ~ well, maybe you had to be there to appreciate the laughter my family experiences every time we say the word ~ but, you remember how very difficult it was to locate the Chiara?
We were driving our rental car into Rome and when we finally found the hotel tucked into a tiny piazzetta/walkway, the exclamation of "Chiara!!" echoed through the dark streets. Needless to say, our very first itinerary goal the following day was to dispose of the rental car ~ crazy to drive in Roma!
And, yes, we would choose the Chiara again ~ perfect location near the Pantheon, a short walk to just about everything.
Mar 18th, 2005, 07:07 AM

Fun story! Glad it was Chiara everyone shouted and not Eureka. LOL

On our last visit to Rome we used Limoservice Rome as we arrived late at night. Our driver was familiar with the hotel and had no problem delivering us safely and promptly to the front door.

It is a terrific location and we found the staff very helpful. Also better than average included breakfast (loved the blood orange juice) and a very pleasant breakfast room.

Thanks for sharing your experience!
Jun 6th, 2005, 10:26 AM

SUMMERTIME is one of my favorite movies and has created an obsession to travel to Venice ... someday. As a film historian, I've searched high and low for information about the locations used in the movie. According to all sources, the Pensione Accademia is indeed where some filming was done. Not sure exactly where and the photos available of the Pensione today don't match anything in the film. In a book on director David Lean, I learned that the terrace where Hepburn and others sit was indeed built for the film. Lean was horrified to learn that the overzealous carpenters tore it down before the film had been totally completed but luckily he didn't need it again. Excited to read that Campo San Vio may be the location where the set was built. I've memorized that scene that show her looking out to the Grand Canal and then turning back to look in the other direction at a smaller canal with several bridges. Hepburn did not actually stay there but first rented a villa on an island and then eventually moved to a luxury hotel somewhere in Venice. Lean stayed at the Gritti.
The canal where Kate falls in is of course at Campo San Barnaba. The same setting is used in INDIANA JONES AND THE LAST CRUSADE as well as THE ITALIAN JOB and probably countless others.
Hepburn complained from a chronic eye infection for the rest of her life, blaming that fall into the canal. Actually, a recent book reveals that she'd sneak away on a gondola every night and swim in the canals. She swam every day of her life apparently.
When Kate meets little Mauro, he scampers down a wall by some steps to sell her postcards. That same setting is shot from exactly the same angle in Woody Allen's EVERYONE SAYS I LOVE YOU in the scene where Woody meets Julia Roberts on a morning jog.
Check out any book on Katharine Hepburn and David Lean for more info. I know the movie isn't everyone's cup of tea but I'm addicted to it.
Jun 6th, 2005, 03:27 PM

I think there is a limit to how long a single posting can be, so if you start typing a substantial report and hit the limit, you lose your work.

When I write a long report, I do it in a word processing program (where spell check can help me). I then cut about four or five paragraphs, and open my posting on Fodors and paste section one. I then cut section two and post it as a response to my first posting, and keep doing that until all the parts are posted.
Jun 6th, 2005, 03:51 PM

danny
you've posted the same paragraphs on "Summertime' to at least 4 different threads today, we do get that you love the movie. Me too.