Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Just Returned From Venice, Florance & Rome

Old Jun 16th, 2002, 10:40 AM
cheryl

What a lovely trip! Venice was just as you picture it. Florance was beautiful & both cities were "American" Friendly. Rome was a little disappointing though. The sights there were breathtaking, but we found that this part of our leg - the people were alittle rude & the city itself is pretty dirty.
One thing that I'd like to mention is if you have hair that is longer than a "buzz" cut-TAKE YOUR OWN HAIR DRYER! The vacuems that come out of the walls to dry your hair are worthless. You will be spending your mornings drying your hair.

Old Jun 16th, 2002, 10:53 AM
SPeller Champ

Could Florance be the same as Florence???

Old Jun 16th, 2002, 11:13 AM
what does it matter

so what? no only people who won the spelling bee can travel?

Old Jun 16th, 2002, 11:22 AM
sparky

If you trake your own hair dryer, make sure it's a dual-voltage one. Otherwise you might blow the fuse (I succeeded in plunging a floor of London's Churchill Intercontinental into darkness), or melt the hairdryer.

BTW, you might also ask the concierge for a real hairdryer.

Bzzz---pop!

Old Jun 16th, 2002, 11:22 AM
Bob

Good comments on your trip. I agree with assesment of Rome. You have to see it, but it is not the cleanest place in the world and pretty crowded and hectic. This is a good town to start your trip so you can relax later in the smaller towns.

Old Jun 16th, 2002, 01:55 PM
Mick

Hi, Cheryl!

Interesting comments on three cities where I have also been. I loved them all, and did not find Rome pretty dirty. Neither did I find the people a little rude; quite the opposite, actually. In fact, we keep in touch by regular postcards with a waitress from one of the modest little restaurants on the Campo de' Fiori as she was SO genuinely friendly, charming, and natural.

Just goes to show what very different impressions we can get of the same place, I suppose!

Old Jun 16th, 2002, 01:56 PM
Cheryl

So sorry SPeller Champ....

FLORENCE

Old Jun 17th, 2002, 08:40 AM
marsha

I too just returned from 4 days in Rome. It was the last city of a 17 day trip to Italy. We didn't think the city was dirty...it is just very old! I loved the hustle and bustle and found everyone to be very respectful and helpful. We had a fabulous 4 days there.

Old Jun 26th, 2002, 01:31 PM
Terry

Of the three cities you mentioned, Rome was my favorite. The people we dealt with were friendly and everything to see there was awesome.

Most people love Venice but my husband and I thought it was nice but we enjoyed Rome and Florence much more.

Everyone has their own opinion of each city. The main thing is to visit each one and then go back to your favorite. We hope to go back to Rome in a couple of years!

Old Jun 26th, 2002, 02:21 PM
Red

You need to see the Venetian hotel in Las Vegas. They did a replica of St. Mark's square and it is as clean and white as can be. It looks very odd once you've seen the real thing. Clean is not always better!

I agree with your assessment of the hair dryers!

Old Jun 26th, 2002, 02:36 PM
Capo

I'm endlessly fascinated by how we all have different experiences in cities, or have the same experiences but perceive them in different ways.

On two trips to Rome, I haven't found Romans to be rude...at all. And I also haven't found it to be dirty.

But we all see things differently.

Old Jun 26th, 2002, 02:39 PM
Hiho

See, this is what really gets me. FlorAnce! You were just there and you can't even spell it correctly! How stupid can you be?

Old Jun 26th, 2002, 02:56 PM
topping

ttt

Old Jul 1st, 2002, 10:01 AM
laura

I have been to Rome and Florence 3 times. I always loved Florence until last year. It was so jam packed with tourists that you didn't even feel like you were in Italy. Now Rome is my favorite city. Crowded but big enough to handle it. There is so much life in Rome. It is buzzing all the time. I also think Romans tend to be sarcastic which can be confused with being rude.