Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Just returned from Tuscany , Umbria & Cinque Terre areas- Hotels/Restaurants

Oct 6th, 2001, 09:07 AM
Elsa

I thought I would give my opinions on the hotels & restaurants we stayed in/ate at while in Tuscany.

Locanda Dell'Amorosa - near Sinalunga. 4* GREAT place to stay and the restaurant was also very good. Can't figure out why this is only a 4*, compared to some of the other places we stayed that were also 4*, but don't come close to being as nice. Location very convenient, also.

San Gimignano - Hotel Antico Pozzo. I think this was a 3*. We had a large room, b/c I had req. a suite. It was not too expensive. The location was convenient to the main areas of town, but I don't think it would be agood place to stay when the weather is nice. Everyone walks the streets at night, so I'm sure it would be very noisey.
Ate at La Cisterna Rest. It was ok, but nothing special. I don't think I'd go again.
The Dorando was great, but somewhat on the expensive side.

Spoleto - Hotel San Luca. This is a 4* and pretty nice. It's at the bottom of the town, so you should be in decent shape if you want to walk up to the sites. Ate at Tartufu, which was good and Apolinaire (sp?) which was very good with nice atmosphere.

I will continue on another thread, b/c I don't want to lose what I've already written as happened just b/4 I posted this.

Oct 6th, 2001, 09:18 AM
Elsa

To continue:

Orvieto - Hotel Palazzo Piccolomini 3*. The hotel was ok, but nothing special. The staff was not that pleasant (except 1 young man & the maid). The location was good - at the edge of town, so it wasn't noisey, but yet was w/i walking distance of everything. I forget the restaurants, but I will check my notes.

Florence - Hotel Lungarno. Very nice, 4*. Located across the river, close to Ponte Vecchio. Had nice view of Duomo, etc. from our terrace.

Santa Marghuerita Ligure - Miramare. 4* Nice location, and the hotel was fine - nothing too exciting. Staff was very nice.

Portovenere - Grand Hotel Portovenere. The room was tiny. I don't know what makes this a 4* hotel. The view of the waterfront area from our room was very nice.

Oct 6th, 2001, 09:32 AM
Elsa

To continue: Restaurants

Florence: 1) Garga. Really didn't like anything about this - food or atmoshpere. Weird paintings on the walls. It is supposed to be very good, but I don't understand why.

2) La Giostra - EXCELLENT. Everything about it was very good.

3) Mama Nina's - very good. Much bigger inside than it appeared from the outside. Somewhat of a production line, but good. Convenient to our hotel (Lungarno).

Montalcino - Poggio Antico. Great. Had lunch here. Beautiful location overlooking the Tuscan Hills.

Todi - Umbria. Had lunch here. Lovely view from the terrace where we were sitting. Food quite good.

Rome - Le Terraza (Eden Hotel). Had lunch here. VERY EXPENSIVE and a little too "formal"for lunch, but we were on a day trip from Orvieto (we had been to Rome b/4), and I had read the view & food were really good. Well, the view was good if you stood up and the food was very good, but I guess I don't enjoy eating enough to pay those prices. I do like very nice restaurants, but I though that one was overpriced.

Orvieto - Maurizio. It was ok. Lots of lighting, so quite bright - not much atmosphere.

Dec 30th, 2001, 02:53 PM
cindy

Elsa,
We too are planning a trip to Italy in June and hope to visit some of the same areas you did. We're spending 3 days in Rome, then 7 in Tuscany. Right now I'm trying to find the best place (villa) to stay in the Tuscany region, and here's my dilemma: my husband wants to see some of the Chianti region and Lucca which is where his grandparents are from, I would like to see Siena and San Gimagnano, and my son would like to see the Cinque Terre. And of course, we want to spend at least 1 day in Florence. (We've been there before).Where would you think would be the best place to stay to make day trips to all of these places? I know we're probably planning too many things for just 7 days, but will try to fit it all in if we can.
I was thinking of staying near San Gimagnano or Volterra. How long would it take us to drive to the Cinque Terre from there?

Dec 30th, 2001, 03:49 PM
Kay

Elsa, Thanks for the report. I stayed at Locanda Dell'Amorosa and loved it too!