Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Just returned from traveling around the Czech Rep . by car, any questions?

Old Oct 12th, 1999, 03:39 PM
alan

We just returned last week from spending a couple of weeks in Vienna and the Czech Rep. Spent two days in Vienna then picked up our car at the airport. You can get automatic trans. We then drove to Mikulov, where we spent several hours walking around and seeing the city. We picked up the car on Monday and didn't realize what we wanted to see was closed. The Synogue and the old Kewish cemetery. We drove to Telc, which was a pleasant surprise It has a beautiful Town Square from the 16th cent. Best of all for us was that it seems to be undiscovered by tourists.. Stayed in a nice hotel and had dinner and bkfst there. For Americans the prices are very low. Dinner for two with beer was about USD $4 and breakfast about $2.
We then drove to Kutna Hora. We like it so much we spent several days there. They have a silver mine that can be visited. Very good tour except if claustrophobic. My wife couldn't go and I went by myself. The mine dates back to the 13th cent. and at one time the city riveled Prageue It is a UNESCO World Heritage Site.Very nice city. It also has one strange site, just outside of town in Sedlec. It is an ossuary, where the bones have been turned into sculptures. Bizarre? yes but very interesting and different. The Hradek Mining Museaum is a must see also, especially with the mine tour.
We stayed in a 4 star hotel there for less than $45 per night. Good food also.
From there we went to Beroun so that we could visit Krivoklat and it's castle. This was our only bad experience as the Police stopped us as we may yhave gone through a street that we should not have. We still aren't sure. They told us the fine could be from 1,000 - 3,000 Korunas. we chose 1,000, paid it on the spot got a recept. Thanked by the Police and given directions to find the Castle. The fine was about USD $30., but we found the castle. The hotel itself was an old 1960's Communist stle Block building in the square. Uncomfortable beds but an experience none the less. The castle was a very worthwhile visit. Comes from the 13th cent. It was in Czech the tour with an English outline. We were able to get alot out of it as the English was good and it was more than a couple of sentences. The castle has a dungeon and torture chamber also
From there we went to Cesky Krumlov. Spent several days there and it is a magnificant experience. Check out hotels and don't jump at the first place. The Hotel Ruze wanted 4000 korunas, but we found the Mini Hotel and pension. They included breakfast in the restaurant downstairs and free parking. Each day we received a card to place in the car so the poilice we were staying at the hotel and also a ticket for breakfast. A great find it was as the cost was about $30 USD a day. we ate in a Romani restaurant and really enjoyed the food and cuisine. My wife's father came from Hungary and what she ate was similiar to what she ate when she was younger. All in all it was very enjoyable and inexoensive. Thanks to All the people that responded to my inquiry for assistance. If I casn be of help just e-mail or reply to posting.
alan

Old Oct 12th, 1999, 05:43 PM
graziella

Hi Alan, very interesting the information. Thank you.
One question, did you have to take extra insurance to get your car into the Czech Republic,...? if so, how does it work( do you pay for the time you shall visit the Chech Rep of for the total length of the rental?
We are going into Slovenia too, do you happen to know if they charge extra insurance there too? I am assuming you had a rented car. Did you?
Thanks.Graziella.

Old Oct 12th, 1999, 05:43 PM
graziella

Hi Alan, very interesting the information. Thank you.
One question, did you have to take extra insurance to get your car into the Czech Republic,...? if so, how does it work( do you pay for the time you shall visit the Chech Rep of for the total length of the rental?
We are going into Slovenia too, do you happen to know if they charge extra insurance there too? I am assuming you had a rented car. Did you?
Thanks.Graziella.

Old Oct 13th, 1999, 05:03 AM
Maira

Alan; great trip report. Very interesting!

Did you buy any souvenirs that you may want to talk about? (I loved shopping in Prague!).

Old Oct 13th, 1999, 03:07 PM
alan

Hi! Thanks for your comments on my posting. We always take the CDW even though we use a credit card. You have to check with the car rental agency to make certain that it can be brought into the countries that you want to visit. We used Autoeurope and they booked us to Avis. By the way if you are going to Slovenia, visit Piron on the Adriatic Sea. A lovely town. We stayed in a great hotel there with a balcony overlooking the adriatic. Very nic.

As far a what we brought back from Czech Rep. You can't go wrong with Bohemian glass and crystal. The handblown glass is very nice and reasonably priced as is the crystal. We bought some back for our children. We bought the glass in Kutna Hora and the crystal in Csesky Krumlove though you can buy it anywhere. Probably the prices in Prague are higher though.
Enjoy yourselves. alan