Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Just returned from the west coast of Ireland - any questions?

Jul 30th, 1999, 05:11 PM
Michelle

We spent 2 weeks driving the west coast mainly, as far as Westport to the north, and Kinsale to the south. Any questions?

Jul 30th, 1999, 09:53 PM
Donna

We're planning a similar excursion. Not to miss scenery? Favorite restaurants, accomodations? Driving tips?

Aug 1st, 1999, 07:11 AM
christy

Michelle,

We're spending our first 3 nights of an upcoming trip in Kinsale...would love to hear what you thought, good restaurants, fun pubs, etc. Thanks!!

Christy

Aug 1st, 1999, 11:58 AM
Michelle

Dear Donna: Almost all of the west coast has scenery that is incredible, ie. Cliffs of Moher, any of the peninsulas (Dingle, Beara, we didn't drive the Ring of Kerry). Most people rave about the Killarney area but our experience was not thrilling (the Killarney to Kenmare road, through the National Park, was the worst driving experience we had - far too many tour buses and cars, road is extremely narrow, several times all traffic in one direction had to come to a standstill because of tour buses coming the other way - it was the slowest we had to drive in our whole trip). We did however greatly enjoy the jaunting car ride we took near Muckross House.
We stayed in B&Bs the whole 2 weeks. If you're interested in B&Bs I'd be glad to give more information. We ate mostly in pubs because they are the least expensive and food is relatively good but you have to be willing to put up with the smoking around you. Be prepared to stop a lot when driving, to let other cars go by, both those coming from the other direction (because it's a tight squeeze), and those driving behind you because as a tourist you drive slower and it's better to let the car behind go by so there is less pressure on you to hurry up). I hope this helps.

Dear Christy: We only spent one night in Kinsale and therefore can't say much about the town. The B&Bs there are more expensive than anywhere else. In the 9 B&Bs we stayed in throughout Ireland, the one in Kinsale cost the most and was the smallest room! I did enjoy watching the lovely sunset over the harbour from the sunporch of our B&B. We didn't eat anywhere in Kinsale because we bought food at the grocery store and ate supper in our room. Sorry I can't provide any more concrete information. From Kinsale we drove to Blarney Castle and enjoyed our visit there.

Aug 11th, 1999, 04:54 PM
Alison

how long a drive is it from Ennis or Shannon to the Cliffs of Moher?

Aug 12th, 1999, 12:11 PM
Gina

Alison, from the Shannon airport, it took us about an hour and a half-two hours to reach the Cliffs of Moher by car. It looks closer to an hour on the map, but the roads are narrow and winding in many places, and you'll want to drive slowly both for caution and because of the beautiful views.

Aug 13th, 1999, 04:13 AM
elaine

Alison,
Michelle is very accurate w/driving distance to the Clifs - and also the maps are deceptive, as one must drive much slower, as all the roads are 'country' roads, very curvey but very lovely...it is so beautiful. Be sure to drive The Burren, which is not terribly far from 'The Cliffs. We were there last August and didn't even cash in our punts, as we definitely will return.

Michelle,
Wasn't it fun taking the jaunting carts to Muckross House! Did you tour Ross Castle? Very interesting and worth walking up all those winding steps! Did you drive Digle Penin. to Slea Head?...think this was my favorite, but I change my favorite every day!

Aug 13th, 1999, 04:15 AM
elaine

Gina,
Sorry...I meant 'Gina' is very accurate...it's still to early for me to look at the posts!

Aug 13th, 1999, 06:58 PM
jeff

Michelle,
It's too bad that you had a bad experience on the road from Killarney to Kenmare. Other than Connemara, I thought that it was the most beautiful part of Ireland. Perhaps it was the time of year that you went. I was there at the end of May and the beginning of June. There were absolutely no tourists on the road and it was clear sailing all the way. I agree that the road is treacherous and I would have been miffed if I had to wait in traffic. I thought the scenery was beautiful the entire drive.

Aug 21st, 1999, 11:21 AM
Molly

Christy --

I was in Kinsale in early June and had a lovely meal at Janey Mac's. The restaurant was charming and food was delicious (Kinsale is known for its food, especially fresh fish). We also had a great time enjoying a pint and live music at the Mad Monk pub. Be sure to check out the ladies' room there (as long as you're not more sensitive to sacrilege than this good Catholic girl) -- the walls are decorated with drawings of monks chasing nuns up a hill.

You'll love Kinsale -- it was one of the highlights of our trip!

-- Molly

Aug 22nd, 1999, 02:55 PM
christy

Molly,
Thanks for the recommendations for Kinsale, the Mad Monk sounds like fun. I'll be sure to visit the ladies room!!
Christy

Jan 21st, 2000, 04:38 PM
Christie

I'm a ninth grade student attending a school trip to Ireland April 17-25. I will be there over Easter, and am looking for a Catholic church @ which I can attend Easter mass. PLEASE, ANYONE, RESPOND ASAP!!!
Also, is there any scenery, attractions I shouldn't miss while there, or at Ring of Kerry and Dublin? I've never been to Ireland before...

Jan 31st, 2000, 12:38 PM
Rhonda

Has anyone stayed in the following:
Sovereign House, Kinsale,
Old Bank House, Kinsale
Bantry House, Bantry
Sea View House, Ballylickey
Ard Na Sidne, Killarney
Any advice or info greatly appreciated!!! Thanks.

Apr 10th, 2002, 03:34 PM
John

Wanted to ask if you received any feedback regarding Sovereign House. We are considering for a May trip. Thanks