Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Just returned from Spain honeymoon. Would love to tell about it and answer any questions

Just returned from Spain honeymoon. Would love to tell about it and answer any questions

Jun 1st, 2001, 08:57 AM
Kathy

Just returned from our honeymoon in Spain and just fell in love with the country. I'd love to answer any questions and tell all about it. Restaurants, hotels, sightseeing. We spent 5 days in Marbella/Puerto Banus with day trips to Granada, Nerja and Frangiliani. Drove to Ronda and spent the night (2 days would have been better) then drove to Seville for 3 days and flew to Barcelona for our last 4 days.

It was a great itinerary and we really got a feel for Spain as well as the different areas (of course, there was so much we didn't even touch on).

Thanks to Maribel and everyone for all your suggestions and especially Maribel, for your driving directions (we would have been lost - literally and figuratively without them). I also have regards for you from your friends in Seville!

Kathy

Jun 1st, 2001, 09:17 AM
Denise

I'm going to Barcelona tomorrow for 2 days before going on to a business meeting in Ibiza. What would you suggest to do for such a short stay (the must-sees)?

Jun 1st, 2001, 09:41 AM
Kathy

There is so much to do/see in Barcelona we didn't think 4 days was enough. I would definitely see some of Gaudi's architecture - it's like no other. I would suggest visiting La Pedrera (also called Casa Mila). You can go inside and see the apartment he designed as well as the rooftop terrace which is very cool. There is also an interesting exhibit of his life & work inside. From there, I would definitely suggest going to La Sagrada Famiglia which is the cathedral he began but never finished. It's still being worked on. THAT is an amazing structure - not to be missed.

Outside La Pedrera you can pick up the Bus Touristic - a hop on, hop off bus that takes you around the city on two routes. It's great for getting a feel for the city and what you want to see. We just went through the entire route first and marked off what we wanted to go back to visit. It's worth doing and we did a two day ticket.

Definitely go to the Gothic quarter and La Rambla. Don't worry about how dangerous it is. It's fun and just be smart. Hold on to your bag at all times and nobody will bother you. I'm from NYC and felt fine. The pickpockets go after those who are not as smart and are easier targets. Again, be aware and be smart, but definitely go.

Where are you staying?

Jun 1st, 2001, 03:16 PM
Maribel

Hi Kathy,
Welcom back -so glad you had a wonderful honeymoon! Saw your post from the Puente Romano and have been eager to hear about your journey ever since! So happy that you enjoyed Ronda, my favorite little spot in Andalucia. Thanks for sending my regards to our two sweet friends in Seville. And glad you didn't get lost in the land with few proper road signs!
Would love to hear more about your trip. Please let us know more!
Regards,
Maribel

Jun 1st, 2001, 05:04 PM
marc

My wife and I are leaving to Marbella on Saturday night, What type of clothes should we be bringing?

Jun 2nd, 2001, 07:59 AM
Dave

Kathy,

My wife and I are soon heading to Spain and we are making our last minute reservations. Could you recommend a Hotel in/near Marbella? We will be staying for three nights. Any suggestions on what to do or where to eat would be appreciated as well. Our main purpose while in Marbella is relaxation!

Jun 3rd, 2001, 08:25 AM
Kevin

Hello,
Headed to Barcelona for a couple of days to meet up with some friends from college. Looking into the possibly of trips to Mellorca and Ibiza. Wondering if anyone can post some info on places to stay in Ibiza.

Jun 4th, 2001, 10:26 AM
Kathy

Marc,

Marbella is definitely the place for relaxation. I would definitely suggest Puente Romano or Marbella Club. They are top notch. They are both pretty expensive (it was my honeymoon so I splurged), but not outlandish by any means (remember the dollar is incredible there right now). Other than that, I have friends who stayed at Marriott's Marbella Beach Club. They loved it, but I prefer the other two. The location is better I think. Both MC & PR are in between Marbella proper and Puerto Banus where you would probably want to go for dinner at least one night - it's fun to look at the yachts and the shops are open late. The Marbella Club has a spa that is open to guests are Puente Romano. It was super relaxing I highly suggest either. For dinner, we ate one night at Le Meridiana, which supposedly is one of the best restaurants in Spain. It was quite good and because of the exchange rate, not as expensive as we thought. We ate at a great Argentinian Steakhouse in the old town of Marbella - Tagueria, and of course, just ate tapas right and left.

Jun 4th, 2001, 10:45 AM
Kathy

Kevin,

Barcelona is great and a one of a kind party city. Don't know much about Ibiza or Mallorca, but Ibiza is more of a party island that's for sure.

No exaggeration, but only tourists go out to eat before 10pm in Spain. In Barcelona, there are clubs that don't even open until 2am. We left a club one night (morning) at 4:15am and there was a line to get in, people strolling around the streets like is was 11pm. Very strange - even for a New Yorker.

We mostly went out in the Exiemple district. We found a great bar/club on Aribou, one block north of the Diagonal called Bucara (I think). Across the way was one of the hottest clubs, Costa Breve which was packed (and I'm sure a fire hazzard).
Enjoy, it's a great city.

Jun 5th, 2001, 08:58 AM
Lou

Thanks for the Spain post!

My honeymoon is going to end in Spain (we're getting married in Prague, then 4 nights Paris, 4 nights Barcelona, and 5 nights Ibiza, with overnight train travel between the land locations. We have a couple of extra days on our Eurorail select pass. Can you recommend any day trip from Barcelona, or would you suugest we concentrate on the city itself? Thanks

Jun 5th, 2001, 10:21 AM
SHG

Lou,
Barcelona is wonderful! There are also some great day trips you can take, I would suggest Monserrat, Girona or Terragona.

Jun 5th, 2001, 02:28 PM
Anne

Hi. We are planning a trip to Sevilla with our kids. I am looking at an eight day itinerary which the bulk of includes Sevilla. However, I am struggling with what to do with Ronda, Arcos or Cadiz. I wanted to spread out a little but at the same time not feel like we spread out too thin. Any thoughts? I find this very helpful

Jun 6th, 2001, 10:53 AM
Kathy

Lou,

Wow, Prague is one of my favorite cities - congratulations, it sounds like a wonderful trip. We were worried about having too much time in Barcelona and thought about maybe doing a day trip once we got there. However, in the end we felt we didn't even have enough time in Barcelona. I would suggest playing it by ear. There is so much to do in Barcelona, you definitely won't get bored. On the other hand, you will have just been in other large cities so you might want to take a day trip. Again, I'd say, stay in Barcelona but play it by ear, you can always take a train somewhere for the day.

Jun 6th, 2001, 10:57 AM
Kathy

Anne,

We had 2 1/2 days in Seville and could have used one or two more. Ronda is definitely worth going to. Any picture you have seen of the gorge can't compare with what it's like in person (think of the Grand Canyon - obviously it's not as impressive, but pictures can't do it justice).

Ronda also has the oldest bullring in Spain which is quite beautiful (despite what it's used for) and it's just a beautiful town. Two days there would be fine (we had 1 1/2 and it was fine).

We didn't get to Arcos or Cadiz so I can't comment, however, I have heard that both are great.

Jun 14th, 2001, 01:28 PM
Jeff

Hi Kathy,

Thanks for the info on places to stay in marbella. Are either the Puente Romano or Marbella Club on the beach itself (at least with beach/ocean views)? If not, is the Marriott Marbella Beach Club or anyother spot on the beach? Thanks for the help. Also, what would be a comparable place to stay at in Barcelona?
Thanks for your help,
Jeff

Jun 19th, 2001, 11:33 AM
Armando

We are travelling to Spain in early October for two week "driving all over" type visit, also hope to get to Oporto.
Any restaurant/hotel recommendations would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!

Jul 3rd, 2001, 02:11 PM
Kathy

Jeff,

Both Marbella Club and Puente Romano are on the beach (as is the Marriott I believe). Both resorts have large properties so many of the rooms have views other than ocean views. Ours was a lovely view overlooking the pool. Doesn't sound great, but it was. They did a wonderful job designing both hotels, making them feel very charming and personal and not like a large complex at all. (PR has about 234 rooms, Marbella club is smaller I think)

Jul 6th, 2001, 10:25 AM
jeanne

We'll be there in August and are trying to figure out what to pack - light clothes, obviously, but what is acceptable there.

Jeanne

Jul 10th, 2001, 12:30 PM
Kate

Hi -
I'm going to southern spain (flying into Seville, doing circle down through Arcos de la Frontera, Ronda, Nerja, Grenada, Cordoba) in October and I am really stuck on hotels in Seville. I know there have been many already suggested in this discussion group, but most are above my price range, which tops out at $100. ANy suggestions? Thanks!