Reload this Page >

Just Returned from Italy and Vienna

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11th, 1999, 05:38 AM
Denise

We just returned from 4 days in Vienna and 10 days in Italy (Montecatini Terme, Lucca, and Florence). I would be glad to answer any questions. There was little known info on the <BR>web about Montecatini Terme, which was an oasis. Beautiful,peaceful almost tropical, city outside Florence, where the Italians vacation. I see that many people are concerned about the war, so if I can be of help, please write me. <BR>Denise

Old Apr 11th, 1999, 12:13 PM
Anne

Hi Denise. I'm glad to hear that you had such a lovely time in Italy. I will be visiting Vienna for 1.5 days and was wondering if that were enough time to see the major sites within the ring, visit one museum (which one?), Schonbrunn, and Prater? How long does it take to navigate the ring? I realize that is cutting it close; our alternative is to add an extra day in Vienna at the expense of missing Visegrad/Szentendre in Hungary. Anyone's thoughts are appreciated. Thanks! <BR>

Old Apr 11th, 1999, 05:07 PM
s.fowler

You can see the basic sights in Vienna in the time your propose. I would recommend taking a 1/2 day bus tour which will get you into Schonbrunn ahead of the lines. It doesn't provide a lot of time to wander the grounds, but then you don't HAVE a lot of time! Your hotel should be able to recommend one. As for the museum I recommend the Kunsthistoriche. They have the "goods". <BR>I haven't been to Visegrad, but I did enjoy a half day in Szentendre. Be sure to eat lunch at the Golden Dragon Inn and hae the cherry soup if it is on the menu. <BR>

Old Apr 11th, 1999, 05:58 PM
Jeanie

Denise, <BR>So did you like Vienna?? I remember emailing with you before you left since I had studied abroad there. I am jealous, I wish I had just gotten back from Vienna <BR>I was surprised to see another posting you had about neo-nazis. I never encountered anything like that in Austria(I am not saying you or your daughter didn't, i am just surprised) I can imagine the Austrians being really uptight right now about the Kosovo thing. Well if you have a chance drop me a line and let me know how you liked Vienna. <BR>Jeanie <BR>

Old Apr 12th, 1999, 01:14 PM
Denise

<BR>I think you can see the major sites in a i 1/2 days. I agree with the choice of museums and I didn't encounter any lines at the palace. Prater is nice, a typical amusement park. However, we did have one of our best meals there at a beer garden restaurant(the name starts with a S-Schweiserhaus?) I am sure you can't mistake it. Our daughter's host family took us there and ordered the pork roast for us. I am not really a meat lover (I know that is odd for someone visiting Austria), but it was really delicious. The atmosphere was festive, the beer was great as well as the food. If you can go to the coffee house famous for the sachertorte. The cakes looked out of this world. Zanoni and Zanoni had fabulous icecream. By the way, I was told Austria was expensive. I found it no more expensive than NYC. Also, if you have the time go to Hunderwasserhouse. I really enjoyed seeing his "unique" architecture. <BR>By the way, I did not see the neo-nazi presence, but as reported by my daughter and her host parents, it is there. <BR>Enjoy your trip, <BR>Denise

Old Apr 13th, 1999, 04:19 AM
Nancy

Dear Denise - we are scheduled for a trip to Rome, Venice and Paris next week and are very concerned about the attitude towards Americans, especially in Italy. What feedback can you give us? Thanks

Old Apr 13th, 1999, 06:38 AM
Anne

Thanks for the tips, Sally & Denise! Nothing will stop us from going <BR>