Just returned from Iceland & Greenland

Aug 28th, 2007, 03:57 PM
Original Poster

Just returned from Iceland & Greenland

Thanks to everyone who answered all my questions! I had the best time...wish it could have been more than a 12 day trip. Once everything gets back to normal I hope to write a full report and share some of the 1,500+ photos I took.

Just a little info though:
Stayed at Hotel Fron in Reykjavik the whole time....very nice hotel
Tours with Iceland Excursions...great timie
Private tours with Gudbjorg at KGB Tours...EXCELLENT
Greenland tour with Horses North...awesome

I hated to leave the pure, clean air yesterday morning to arrive back to smog and 95+ temps in the US.

Thanks again,
Lexi
Aug 29th, 2007, 06:57 AM
Jed

Looking forward to your report.
Aug 31st, 2007, 08:02 AM

My husband and I are planning a trip to Iceland for June 08..we've been researching the area for a few weeks and cannot wait for this trip..I have a question for those that have visited: should we rent a vehicle? we are planning on hiring a guide for the super jeep excursion...we want to visit the golden circle. Are there busses to these areas? if so, should we book them in advance? Thanks very much, Mary
Aug 31st, 2007, 08:35 AM
Jed

We took a bus tour of the golden circle, which we booked the day before. We like having guides for the info.

We did not rent a car. Depends on what you want to do and how long you will be there. We were there for a week, andflew to Akureri, Greenland, and Heimeay.
Aug 31st, 2007, 08:43 AM

Thanks Jed...we will be there for one week and want to see as much as possible...I would prefer not to rent a car as I've heard the roads are not great..day trips via busses sound great..we are going in June..any other tips would be welcome..Mary
Aug 31st, 2007, 08:45 AM

I enjoyed reading your post. I'm planning a trip to Iceland in September 2008. I may combine it with a visit to Scotland....just returned from there a couple of weeks ago (it was my 5th visit)....and I can certainly empathize about leaving cool, clean air and arriving in 90 degree hot, humid weather! Anway, thanks for the info on the tours. I'll probably base myself in Reykjavik, as well, and take day tours of the country. I think I read somewhere that a tour sponsored by Icelandair offers a Lava Tour where you ride Icelandic Horses through the lava fields. The tour is designed for beginner and novice riders like me! Thinking about staying at either the Reykjavik Hotel Centrum or Hotel Odinsve (probably didn't spell that right and if you know how to pronounce it, please let me know)! Last year I flew Icelandair to Glasgow with a stopover in Kefalik (?) Airport, and I vowed to return for a holiday in the near future. Iceland looks like such a beautiful country....looking forward to seeing your photos. Glad you had a good time!!!

--Jane2
Aug 31st, 2007, 08:49 AM

I'm looking forward to your trip report!
Aug 31st, 2007, 01:55 PM
Original Poster

Rosebuds & Jane2 - I really enjoyed the tours done with Iceland Excursions but the private tours were even better. We could take our time and not have to worry about everyone else. We started to rent a vehicle and drive to some locations ourselves...I'm glad now that we did not do that.

Jane2 - I know I remember seeing those two hotels but I don't know anything about them. You should also look at Hotel Fron...it was very nice and in the perfect location.

I'm still working on the photos...hopefully they will be ready soon.
Apr 24th, 2008, 04:35 PM

Anyone have suggestions on whether to take the Kulusuk, Greenland tour from Iceland or the Grimsey Island/Arctic Circle tour? Thanks for your help.
May 14th, 2008, 07:49 AM

Good to know that you were happy with KGB tours - I've been e-mailing back and forth with Gudborj re: the possibility of a private tour with him and he's been very helpful. Where did you go with them?
May 14th, 2008, 01:02 PM
Original Poster

Hi sloano -
Gudbjorg (Gudda) is actually a she. She was just great. We did two tours with her. We went to Raykjanes Peninsula, Gullfoss, Geysir and the Blue Lagoon one day and the other we went to the black sand beach near Vik and Fjadrargljufur canyon. Both tours were long days but we had the best time.
May 14th, 2008, 05:08 PM

Thanks for the info Lexi - and the clarification! I'm hoping to go on a South Coast tour with KGB next week. I'm going to do whale watching and the Golden Circle express with Gray Line. Your e-mail was perfect for reassuring me about my plans.
Cheers!
May 15th, 2008, 06:56 AM
Original Poster

Sloano -

Glad I could help. Let me know if you need any more information. I also did three tours with Greyline/Iceland Excursions. They were great as well.
BTW...I'm so jealous your going to Iceland next week. Iceland and Greenland was by far one of my best vacations.
Enjoy your trip!

lexi
May 15th, 2008, 08:23 AM

Greenland? People go to Greenland? On purpose? Wow, do I live a sheltered life.
May 15th, 2008, 09:45 AM
Jed

Because it's there, and because it is another culture and geography.
May 16th, 2008, 01:03 PM

My husband and I returned 2 days ago after a week stay in Iceland. We stayed at the Hotel Plaza....great location, crummy beds. We did the Golden Circle Tour, the superjeep tour and the whale watching. We absolutely loved the entire trip and the beautiful city....the weather wasn't bad at all. The flights were wonderful with no delays and internation customs was a breeze. I am so glad that we made this trip. Thanks to all on this board that shared great advice...Mary
May 16th, 2008, 01:24 PM

Hi rosebud,

glad you had such a good trip.

we're going to Iceland at the end of July for 10 days or so. we have our accommodation and care hire booed alrady, but i'd be interested in hearing about any sights you particularly liked and excursions you took.

thanks,

regards, ann