Reload this Page >

Just returned from a genealogical search in Italy

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4th, 1999, 04:19 PM
Cathy

We recently returned from a 3 month visit to Italy where we researched my "roots". <BR> <BR>First we planned this trip for a long while, and decided to buy a VW camper. We were thus able to afford the trip by using the van as home, office, transportation and restaurant. <BR> <BR>My only regret was that we did not bring along our lap top computer, as we wanted to discourage any break-ins and stealing. <BR> <BR>Most of the places where my ancestors came from are in small villages and towns. Finding the "Matrice"--or oldest parish church was the first and best place to begin researching. The town hall also had civil registration records, which began around 1810. The church records sometimes went back to the early 1500's. <BR> <BR>Hardly anyone in the small towns spoke any English, so knowledge of Italian is almost a must. I hired a professional researcher to assist me for about two weeks, and then after that, we were on our own. Without his help and knowledge, it would have been much more difficult to get good results. <BR> <BR>One thing I learned from the researcher was to get your "foot into the door" and not to take "No" for an answer. Once you get the needed permission to search the records, you will be astonsihed about the great amount of information you will be able to find. <BR> <BR>I would go back to Italy in a heart beat if I could. The people, art, culture, food, wine, bread, pasta were wonderful! The only draw back, was the scarey driving conditions . . .

Old Jun 4th, 1999, 05:38 PM
JoAnn

Hi Cathy....what an interesting story! <BR>I have a few questions: <BR>Where did you buy the van..how much did it cost? <BR>Speaking of cost, what did this 3 month journey wind up costing? <BR>How did you find a researcher? Was it expensive? <BR>Was your quest sucessful? Did you find out as much as you hoped? <BR>What a neat idea!

Old Jun 6th, 1999, 07:45 AM
Cathy

JoAnn, <BR> <BR>Glad you responded, and I will gladly answer your questions--if I had all the answers! <BR> <BR>First of all, we got our VW camper from A-Point car dealer in Amsterdam. We found out about A-Point from references. There are several good books out about buying a new or used camper on the market, and we are very pleased with the vehicle and with A-Point. By law, we could not purchase the vehicle as we are not Dutch citizens or own land there, so the title is technically in A-Point's name--rather like a lease agreement except that we paid for it in full. <BR>The cost was approximately what we would have paid for the same vehicle here in the US. <BR> <BR>Regarding finding a researcher--I submitted my names I was researching to an on line Italian genealogical research address, and he found me! He was absolutely the best, and was helping us to do the research for about 2 weeks in duration. His fees were per diam, with all costs transportaion, food and lodging , etc., at our expense. Was he worth it? Absolutely!! Was it expensive? Absolutely! <BR> <BR>We were able to keep costs down, because we used the van as home, office, restaurant and car. At the conclusion of our tirp, we returned to Amsterdam where the van is in storage as we plan on returning again in August--this time to go to Poland in order to do more genealogical research. <BR> <BR>Our trip was truly wonderful and the results of all the research was beyond my expectations. Without a researcher I know I would have had a much more difficult (and expensive) time of trying to find my roots. <BR> <BR>If you wish to have more particulars as to the acutal costs, etc., I will have to consult with my husband, who was the accountant on the trip. You could e-mail me directly for such a response if you wish! <BR> <BR>Cathy

Old Jun 6th, 1999, 06:03 PM
graziella

Hi Cathy, what an extraordinary story, I thought sometimes in searching but never come to do it, till what century did you go back? <BR>Is your family Italian? <BR> <BR>if so can you tell from what region of Italy.... <BR>Thank you graaziella

Old Jun 7th, 1999, 07:39 AM
Cathy

Graziella, <BR> <BR>My ancestors came from the Frozinone and Bari regions of Italy. The records in Bari date back to about 1540 and were the best and easiest to research. The records in the Frozinone region were more difficult to find and less productive--only into the 1700's-- because I needed to go to more towns and because an earthquake in 1913 destroyed many church records . <BR>Which areas in Italy are you interested in researching for your ancestors? <BR> <BR>Cathy <BR>