Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Just returned from 6 weeks in france! (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/just-returned-from-6-weeks-in-france-50730/)

Kim Aug 12th, 1999 09:52 AM

Just returned from 6 weeks in france!

I just got back from six weeks of backpacking in france. I went to many of the different regions and cities. If you have specific questions I'd be glad to let you know how I found things. It was a great trip and a beautiful and varied country. <BR> <BR>Happy travels, <BR>Kim

lisa Aug 12th, 1999 11:54 AM

Kim: By all means, tell us more, don't be shy! We want to know which places you liked best, which places were disappointing (if any), any places you stayed or saw or ate that you'd recommend.

Valerie Aug 13th, 1999 03:39 AM

Kim, <BR> <BR>If you had to choose between Provence and the Loire Valley, which would you choose? And are some of the beaches of France worth going?

Kim Aug 14th, 1999 11:48 AM

I started in Strasbourg and went to the Loire valley, Mont St. Michel, Cap Feret(near Bordeaux), the Pyrenees, Pau, Toulouse, Carcassone, Nimes, Marseille, Arles, Aix-en-Provence, the Cote d'Azur, the French Alps(Chamonix) and to Paris. I was impressed by the variety of the regions I saw. I stayed in hostels and really had no problems whatsoever. The most fun was in Nimes. <BR> <BR> <BR>My favourite stop was Chamonix in the Alps. It was beautiful and the hiking was great. A great gite is the Vagabond, only 70 FF a night. Not bad. <BR> <BR> <BR>Between the Loire valley and provence is a tricky choice. I loved both. They come a close second to Chamonix. In the Loire valley the chateaux were great and the town of Blois was a great place to stay, it was right in the middle of it all. I would rent a car or a bike and see as many as you can. The bus tours are good but only take you to about 2-3 in one tour. Chambord is great but Chenonceaux looked amazing and my tour didn't go there. <BR> <BR> <BR>If you choose Provence, Arles, Nimes Aix, and Orange are great, and nearby is Carcassone(about 2 hours by train). It is a necessary side trip. It is a city within a medieval city. Amazing to see but packed with tourists. One half day is good. Stay in one of these towns(maybe Arles) and do daytrips to nearby cities. <BR> <BR>The beach towns, Nice, Cannes, Monaco and Antibes are something to see but highly overated in my opinion. I liked Monaco the best and several cute little towns along the train route like Cap d'Ail, Villeneuve(I think that was the one). <BR> <BR>I hope this helps. For anything else please jot another note. <BR>Kim

Bill Aug 14th, 1999 11:19 PM

Kim, What a terrific trip!! You must have had a blast. I was also in France earlier this year as part of a five week five country tour, and the highlight of my trip was also Chamonix. I loved the town, the view of the Alps, and the ultimate trip up to Aguile du Midi and then onto Hellbronner Point. I hope you got a chance to do it. I also loved the Loire Valley and also stayed in Blois. Chenonceau is easily the prettiest chateau in the valley, make sure and see it on your next trip to France.

Judy Aug 15th, 1999 09:40 AM

Kim: What a wonderful time you must have had. I'll be visiting Provence soon. You mentioned Nimes and Orange, both of which appear to have impressive and well-preserved Roman remains. It may be a tough choice, but if I only have time to visit one, which would you recommend? I'd be interested in hearing about the "fun" aspect of Nimes. A quote from Fodor's is that it has a "relatively charmless urban ambiance" but contains terrific Roman treasures. Thanks for your comments.

Genesea Aug 16th, 2002 03:32 PM

Kim,<BR><BR>I'm studying abroad in Pau from Sep-April ... any comments would be great! I am living with a family and have made some other contacts with a french family who are expecting me .. any particular faux pas you learned? What's the style of dress like? Any 411 would be helpful.<BR><BR>

StCirq Aug 16th, 2002 03:38 PM

Kim: Sounds like a wonderful trip. Welcome back.<BR><BR>Just wondering about one thing: Was the Vagabond really still charging in francs? How is that possible?

old Aug 16th, 2002 03:41 PM

Because Kim went in 1999.

StCirq Aug 16th, 2002 03:46 PM

Sorry, just noticed that. Duh.....

Genesea Aug 16th, 2002 04:36 PM

Kim,<BR><BR>I'm studying abroad in Pau from Sep-April ... any comments would be great! I am living with a family and have made some other contacts with a french family who are expecting me .. any particular faux pas you learned? What's the style of dress like? Any 411 would be helpful.<BR><BR>

haha Aug 16th, 2002 04:55 PM

St.Cirq, haha haha, haha.