Just home from UK and Paris

Old Sep 12th, 2002, 09:12 AM
Pat

Just home from UK and Paris

I have recently returned from 6 weeks in the UK, travelling alone with my two teen daughters. Apart from the occasional hormonal incident it was a trip of a lifetime for us and we also managed to include 4 nights in Paris.<BR><BR>We did two house swaps which made accommodation affordable; one in Reading and the other near Cardiff, Wales. We also took advantage of hostels in York, Edinburgh and Liverpool. It was necessary to stay in a hotel in London for one night (near Victoria Station) on arrival and for two nights before departing. The original hotel (B & B) was not suitable and we ended up changing to a different, and much nicer hotel in Bayswater for the remaining two nights (of course we paid for the difference but it was worth it).<BR><BR>We traveled mostly by train (BritRail passes) and tube/metro and busses. I did have a vehicle to use but after one trip out, opted to save my sanity and relax on a train. I am not comfortable driving at home (Canada) so I don’t know what possessed me to think I could drive a standard transmission, right-hand drive on the right side of the road in a foreign country. The transportation systems in the UK and Paris are convenient and efficient and I thoroughly enjoyed this mode of travel.<BR><BR>Our small family-run hotel (B & B) in Paris was fabulous, located in the Latin Quarter a short walk from Notre Dame. I had tried to hook up with the ever popular Michael for a tour guide before we left but he was unavailable. Luckily I had given him our hotel name in case he had a cancellation. On arrival I received a note from him offering the services of his associate, Scott, and I promptly made arrangements for the next day. Hiring a private guide for the day was the best thing I have ever done. He was not only very knowledgeable about the city, art, history, but he was friendly and fun. He helped us to cover more ground than we would have on our own in a week. It is a great option if time is a factor, and your tour is designed to your own specific needs.<BR><BR>In England we visited: London, Reading, Oxford, Bath, Liverpool, Leeds Castle in Kent, York, Winchester, Windsor and Eton. In Wales we went to Caerphilly, Newport, Cardiff. We had two nights in Edinburgh as well.<BR><BR>I am grateful to this site for load of tips and information during my research for this trip. I am happy to answer any questions if I can for those wanting any information I might be able to help with. Thanks again for helping me make this trip so wonderful!<BR><BR>Pat<BR>

Old Sep 12th, 2002, 09:30 AM
Lesli

Pat -<BR><BR>Glad you had a great trip; how fortuante you are to be able to travel for 6 weeks!<BR><BR>I'd like to know the names of the hotels in both London and Paris that you liked. It might also be useful to share information re both the identity of, and reasons why you switched accomodations in London (to help others avoid similar problems.)<BR><BR>Welcome back!

Old Sep 12th, 2002, 10:20 AM
Pat

Thanks Lesli. The hotel in Paris was called Hotel du College de France in the Latin Quarter. It included continental breakfast for approx. 98 euros per night for 3 people. We loved the location and the friendly staff.<BR><BR>In London we stayed at the Averard Hotel in Bayswater which included a continental breakfast, had a lift, comfortable beds and was in a very nice quiet location opposite Hyde Park. This room, for 4 people (husband joined us by this time) cost 105 pounds per night which is not expensive by London standards.<BR><BR>The B & B we did not like was mostly because the beds were saggy, the breakfast was awful, room was hot and noisy, and it had no lift so we were dragging heavy bags up 4 flights of narrow steep stairs. The cost was approximately 70 pounds for 3 people. I originally chose it because the price fit my budget and it was close to Victoria Station. <BR><BR>

Old Sep 12th, 2002, 10:21 AM
Pat

Oops sorry, the name of the B & B near Victoria Station was the St. George's Hotel on Belgrave Road.

Old Sep 15th, 2002, 02:11 PM
Lesli

Thanks for adding the hotel details, Pat. I've made note of them for future reference - especially the College de France, which I've walked past and wondered about!

Old Sep 15th, 2002, 02:36 PM
bettyk

I think I recall reading other complaints about the St. George Hotel in London. Thanks for the heads up.

Old Sep 15th, 2002, 02:57 PM
Liz

Pat, who is Michael, what does he do and where do I find him. <BR><BR>I am going to Paris in 4 weeks with my daughter and would love to have someone to show us around especially if its a recommonded tour as I just hate those tours which you go on and think in the end that you could have done better yourself. <BR>Thanks in advance<BR>Liz

Old Sep 15th, 2002, 03:19 PM
John

Pat,<BR><BR>Would you please provide more information on Michael/Scott and how we can connect with them for an upcoming trip. Does he have an email address?<BR><BR>Many thanks.

Old Sep 15th, 2002, 07:13 PM
Pat

Michael Osman's web page is at: [email protected] or do a search with the name Michael and it should come up.