Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Just Got Home: Visited Lake Como; Florence; Positano. Any Questions?

Old Aug 27th, 2001, 09:02 AM
Cathy

We came in at 1am this morning from Rome. We spent our honeymoon in Lake Como, Florence, and Positano. If anyone has any questions, let me know. We had an amazing experience.

Old Aug 27th, 2001, 10:36 AM
Leah

Cathy,

Lots of questions! I posted this message 8/27/01 on another message site. Perhaps you can give me some advice???

Date: 8/27/2001, 1:07 pm ET
Message: My husband and I were married a month ago and have postponed our honeymoon to this fall (October?), as we heard Italy in August is really hot and crowded. Anyway, could you give us some advice for 1st time travelers? We want to see everything but know that's impossible.

We have two weeks and we're thinking of flying into Rome and then heading North. Our wedding photographer just raves about Lake Como so we'll want to spend a few days there. We were also thinking of Venice, Florence, Tuscany, etc. We don't want/need to go "first class" and would rather not book a tour group. We don't want to miss any "must-sees", and I'm thinking we'd be happier spending more time in the "country" rather than the cities (but that's where most of the sites are). I think the "out of the way" places would be more enjoyable.

We were also thinking of taking the train from place to place, but my husband is gutsy and may rent a car in one area, too, as it will give us more freedom.

Any travel hints/tips, packing hints, must buys, shipping/buying suggestions, inexpensive hotels/restaurants, etc., would be greatly appreciated. Feel free to email me directly - [email protected].

Thanks very much!

Leah

Old Aug 27th, 2001, 11:22 AM
Cathy

Dear Leah,
We flew into Milano (much closer to Lake Como than Rome) - don't fly Alitalia!! fly American Airlines - it's the difference between being treated like cargo or a queen - and took a car up to Lake Como, we stayed at Villa D'Este, but I would recommend staying in a smaller place with a little less pomp and circumstance - although they're breakfast was really good. I would not recommend staying in Bellagio as it is very touristy. My husband and I took a boat ride there, but didn't really like the tourist shops and such. But definately take a boat ride as that is the best way to see the lake. I really like this area. We went horseback riding through our hotel and had one of the best expereinces in Italy. If you try to do more of the nature/historical stuff - I think you'll find the area more interesting. We then travelled by train to Florence. We had an incredible guide that we used in Florence - not your typical guide. He took us on a private historical tour of the city and it was amazing. We also booked him for the Chianti area of Tuscany - that's where he grew up. We really enjoyed Florence and had a great time. Our guide took us to a Tuscan Farm house for lunch and on various wine tastings at vineyards. He also brought us to small towns in the Chianti area. This was the moment when started to feel as though we were experiencing Italy. We left Florence for Positano - but I have to say that it was a disappointment. We are active people and didn't want to go to the touristy areas. This town was exactly what we weren't looking for, but we enjoyed our last days at the pool and having excellent food by the sea.
We travelled by train most of the way and then had cars pick us up at the stations - driving a car in Chianti would have been fun - but on the coast - forget it - I was driving just from riding in the car! Pack light - you'll wear things again and again, pick local places to eat, and have a daily gelato. It will only take one to get you hooked. =) Have fun and if you have any other questions, let me know.

Old Aug 27th, 2001, 11:43 AM
marie

Hi Cathy,

How did you find the private guide you used in Chianti and Florence? I would be interested in doing the same sometime.
Thanks.

Old Aug 28th, 2001, 09:45 AM
Leah

Thanks for the advice, Cathy. After reading your itinerary, I'm thinking that sounds like a good trip to take. I showed your reply to my husband and he was really interested in the guide that took you to a Tuscan Farm house for lunch, wine tastings at vineyards and small towns in the Chianti area. How would we find him (or someone like that) and how would we arrange?

Since you didn't care for Positano, would there be someplace else you'd recommend?

I think we'd be most happy spending our time in the non-touristy areas, quaint out-of-the-way places. Thanks!

Old Aug 28th, 2001, 01:26 PM
mshaw

Hi,
We were in Italy in October. We didn't have enough time in the Tuscan countryside so to maximize our time we hired a guide. Check-out toursaroundtuscany.com(I think this is the URL). We did the red tour...I would do it again...a great day...money well-spent. I highly recommend them.WE cannot wait to go back to Italy. We stayed in Lake Como also...In a little town called Verenna accessible by ferry(Como-Bellegio-Verenna)at the Hotel Milano..we loved it.Also, a car is a pain everywhere but in Tuscany(train service isn't great there). You can pick up a car in Florence..but book while still in the states...and a manual transmission is cheaper!Maggie

Old Aug 28th, 2001, 01:47 PM
TuscanFan

I may be interested in the Chianti tour with your guide next spring. I think I have seen the website you used, and that they will either use their car or yours. There will be four people in my party, and we will have a rental car. Can you tell me the approximate cost of the Chianti tour you took? Is it a fixed charge or on a per person basis? Did you use their car or yours? Do you have an idea how much difference there would be to use the alternative car arrangement?

Old Aug 31st, 2001, 04:57 PM
Lisa

HI-
Has anyone gotten a reply as to who the tour guide was on the trip through Chianti? I am planning to leave in less then a week and would love to know more... anyone?

Old Aug 31st, 2001, 04:58 PM

Old Aug 31st, 2001, 04:59 PM
curious george

curious too

Old Sep 5th, 2001, 06:17 AM
TuscanFan

Now that the search function is working, I wanted to see if the questions about the tour guide in Chianti had been answered. Maybe Cathy and Maggie couldn't find the message either.

Old Sep 5th, 2001, 05:24 PM
Ross

Where did you stay in Positano? What "don't miss" things would you recommend?

Old Sep 5th, 2001, 06:31 PM
Lisa

We are on our way to Lake Como, Cinque Terre, Florence and Venice in 2 weeks. We are staying in Bellagio, which I understand you didn't enjoy. Any parts of the Lake region you did like? Any restaurant or other recommendations?

How about Florence? We will do the obvious -- Uffizi, Pitti Palace, etc. Any other must sees? Restaurant recommendations? We are staying near the Duomo.

Thanks for all suggestions.

Old Sep 5th, 2001, 06:45 PM
Anita

Sure Bellagio is touristy. It's a tourist destination even for Italians. We loved it though. We arrived after a week in Venice (talk about touristy!) and welcomed the serenity (end of the season - October). Took the ferry all over the lake. Had lunch or dinner in a different town every day. If we'd had even more time, we would have rented a car and driven around the lake and/or into Switzerland. We stayed at the Hotel Florence. Very nice, reasonable. Enjoyed dinner in Bellagio at the Ristorante Bilacus.

Old Sep 5th, 2001, 07:26 PM
xxx

Cathy

Loved your post. Did you really go horseback riding through your hotel? LOL!

Old Sep 5th, 2001, 08:16 PM
Nancy

Planning to fly into Milan and take the train to Lake Como and spend a few days at a nice hotel. Has anyone taken the train to Lake Como the same day they arrived, how easy or hard is it? How long does it take to get to Lake Como? and what hotel is easy to get to from the train station? Do any hotels pick you up or do you take a taxi? We were recommended to stay in Tremezzo at the Grand Hotel, but I think it is out of the way and too far to get to in the same day. Appreciate any replys!

Old Sep 6th, 2001, 02:26 AM
karen

good question....to the top!

Old Sep 6th, 2001, 01:27 PM
Susan

What happened to Cathy, the original poster? We are waiting to hear who the guide is, and how to contact him/her.

Old Sep 8th, 2001, 08:26 AM
Stephanie

I would like to know who the private guide is? I am hoping to trave with my mother late October and would like to contact him. Could you please supply his name and how to get in touch with him. Thank you