Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Just got back from our honeymoon in Paris, Rome, Florence and Venice. Any questions??

Just got back from our honeymoon in Paris, Rome, Florence and Venice. Any questions??

Old Oct 29th, 2001, 10:42 AM
Lara

We just got back from our honeymoon in Europe (Paris, Rome, Florence and Venice). We left the day we started bombing, and thought it would be a bit scary, but we had a MARVELLOUS time. We LOVE Europe and Europeans. Anyone who is "scared" of going over there should not be. I felt just as safe there as I do at home. In fact, probably even more so. No anti-American demonstrations, no dirty looks, didn't feel like we stuck out like a sore thumb. Tourism still seems like it is moving along. Very good trip. Anyone have any questions??

Old Oct 29th, 2001, 12:13 PM
Jon

Lara, I will be in Rome for new years. Also in Venice and Florence/Siena afterwards. Any suggested activities?

Old Oct 29th, 2001, 02:29 PM
Michelle

What city was a highlight for you and why? I'd love to see all of those cities but if you could only visit 1 or 2, which would it be?

Old Oct 29th, 2001, 02:46 PM
Eduardo

My wife to be and I are planning a short trip to Paris (Honeymoon). We have booked Christmas and New Years there at the Four Seasons. Thinking about extending our trip to either Rome or Venice. We are interested in a little festivity during New Years. Have any ideas? They would be greatly appreciated. Glad to hear you had a nice time and I wish you the best.

Sincerely,
Eduardo

Old Oct 29th, 2001, 03:17 PM
Dina

To confirm what the original posterr has said: We just got back from an extended trip which began on September 5th. It included London, Brittany, Paris, Provence, the Riviera, Barcelona, Rome, Naples, Athens, Greek Island, and Cairo.
At no time did we feel weird or unsafe, although it was our very first trip abroad.
We felt most happy in Greece and especially Cairo; the people were friendly and relaxed. The highlight of the trip was Cairo, where the Egyptians treated us like gold. "Welcome to Egypt!" We must've heard this a hundred times, including from the mouths of school-children. The visit was too short.

Old Oct 29th, 2001, 03:45 PM
Lara

Let's see if I can answer most questions here:

Jon: I could advise you more if I knew if you were also gonna be on your honeymoon, or if you are flying solo and anre sigle, or going with the guys....also...are you a city person or a country person? Are you a history buff? Art? etc.

Michelle: Although all of them were my favorite for completely different reasons, I would have to say my favorite is Paris. The reason? I felt like i fit in the most, the people were awesome, it is AMAZINGLY beautiful, the FOOD IS......perfect (mmmmmmm......fondue, wine, cheese, baguettes....). This is my report, even though the major museums were closed (see the posting on the museum strike in Paris). We still were able to see Versailles, but not the Louvre or the Orsay. Instead we spent more time with each other and walking all over. There was still an enormous amount to things to do. That said, my favorite "thing" that we saw was the Colloseum in Rome. It is amazing. We couldn't stop saying, "WOW". I loved both Rome and Paris. I think it is because we are both city people, and while the country and small towns are beautiful and cute and relaxing...I just love big cities! So if this is you...I say Rome and Paris.

Eduardo: Depending on how long you are going to extend your trip, you may want to try both Rome and Venice. We flew into Paris and took night trains (2 person sleeper) from Paris to Rome, and again from Venice back to Paris. We were only in Venice for a night, and we saw everything, and thought that one day was enough...although it left us with the feeling that we would like to return. The only thing is, it floods in Venice during the fall/winter. The floods were just starting when we were there, and I could see how this could take away from your trip. St. Marks square was flooded in the morning, and then was pretty dry by the night.

Dina....glad you had the same great experience we did...and I agree with you...the trip was too short. We were completely shut off from world news, and it was actually VERY nice for a while. If we hadn't known we had started bombing the morning we left, we hardly would have known while we were there. It was a nice break from the bombardment of the media for the past 2 months.