Search

Just got back from our first trip to Italy

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17th, 2003, 07:08 AM
Dee
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just got back from our first trip to Italy

we were there for one incredable month and I yearn to go back...tomarrow! We rented a villa in Umbria in San Giovanni del Pantano about 20 miles north of Perugia. we rented the villa from Summer leases, (they were great) Gudiolo was it's name and what a villa! The views were amazing. we took day trips to Lake Trasimeno and Perugia. As well as Assissi, Gubbio and Derruta. We also stopped at many small villages along the way. We ate great food and met wonderful people. We went to Florence and stayed at Hotel Burchianti. We stayed in a triple room #1 which was large and lovely. It was located a block from the outdoor market.
Also spent a few days in Rome. Stayed at Hotel Le petit. We had a triple room. It was the only room with the terrace. It was clean small room compared to what one would be used to in US but just what we needed. We had cappaccino in a little cafe next door and sat near Rick Steves who was having a bite to eat. Had a wnderful dinner near the Trevi Fountain. Would be happy to share details, names of places we ate etc if anyone wants them. Thank you all as I did most of my research for this trip on this web site! So thanks for making our trip such amemorable one!
Old Nov 17th, 2003, 07:23 AM

Congrats! We had our first trip there in June but only had 2 wks. Can't wait to go back and see Umbria and Rome. Post favorites and details please! THanks.
Old Nov 17th, 2003, 08:20 AM
ira

Yes, dee. More details, please.
Old Nov 17th, 2003, 09:21 AM

Tell us aboput the food. What did you cook? Where did you go out to eat? Can you tell I'm hungry?
Old Nov 17th, 2003, 03:38 PM
Dee
Original Poster

I can't seem to find my journal right now that contains all the names of places that we ate and what we ate but I'll give it a shot.
Gubbio(we loved Gubbio)Taverna Del Lupa-
excellent food had dinner and lunch there.had- salad of thin sliced veal with shaved wild mushrooms and parm, scrambeled eggs with truffles, salmon-trout. Excellent homemade desserts. Really great food. Also in Gubbio Alla Balestra-had great pizza and pasta.
Patisseere Garabaldi good pastry great people
Lake Trasimeno area: Locanda del Principato-they have one menu for the eve which is served to everyone. about 7 courses tomato/bread dip, pasta with wild boar ragu and lots more with wine and grappa 20E/person. In Castiglione del Lago: Ristorante L'acquario had gnocchi with gorganzola sauce, polenta with truffles.
Deruta: La Fontaine-great food in old part of town-had great vege zuppa and beef that was perfectly cooked.
Umbertide-La abbazzi- old abbey had great food awesome creamed onion soup.
Milan we stayed at Villa Malpensa near airport for two nights and had awesome food. They have a white bean and scampi soup that was fantastic. homemade pumpkin tortelli, pasta with pheasant ragu great fish and unbelievable deserts. I can't remember the name of the restorante that we ate at in Rome as well as a few others but if I find that journal... We didn't cook a whole lot but I made a pasta with grated ricotta salata and freshly ground black pepper that was good. We ate alot of sausage also. I don't think we could have gotten a bad meal anywhere. Oh and agelato, gelato, gelato ! Had great gelato in Milan by the fort near centro ccan't remember the name tough. I need to go get some right now !
Old Nov 17th, 2003, 10:44 PM

Thank you for posting what dishes were standouts at your favorite restaurants! That's the kind of detail that will make me seek out a recommended place (I'm still drooling).
Old Nov 24th, 2003, 11:03 AM

Did you rent cars? We are thinking
of doing the same type of trip but
worry about the transportation
issues...sounds like it was an easy time
for you.

Old Feb 29th, 2004, 06:42 PM

Dee, hi! Could you tell me more about your experience at the Le Petit Hotel? My husband and I are going to Rome for the first time and bringing our 11 year old daughter. Did you feel it was safe? Was it at all noisy at night? Anything else you could tell me about the hotel would be great!

Thanks,

Verchen