Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Just booked train tickets Venice-Florence online,now stupid questions (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/just-booked-train-tickets-venice-florence-online-now-stupid-questions-976255/)

Indogirl1 Apr 29th, 2013 11:05 AM

Just booked train tickets Venice-Florence online,now stupid questions

Hello all, my travel plans are coming into place, I just booked Venice to Florence train tickets. I was able to secure low fare 2nd class Freccagento 9435( is this similar to French TGV)
Booking process is simple ( i was nervous) but for euro58 total for 4 of us (2 adults ,2 kids) I figured if I mess up it's not the end of the world. Now I receive just one paper to print with everyone's name on it, there is a barcode at the bottom,which i assume the ticket person will scan. I also have seats assigned already. Do I need to reconfirm my seats at the station, because the paper says mandatory reservation next to the seat #s.
And do I need to stamp this paper before boarding the train? I remember on TGV ,I just show the paper to the person checking ticktes.

spaarne Apr 29th, 2013 11:36 AM

Thanks for the reassurance about the Italian train site. Good questions. Since you have seat reservations and a receipt showing the date, train number, seat numbers, etc. you don't need to do anything except get on the train and sit. Make sure you have the receipt because you will need to show it to the conductor. Maybe you should print out a duplicate and have one of your traveling companions carry the second one. If you have no ticket you will be billed again and probably fined. If you don't like your seats find some others and let the conductor know you are relocating.

asps Apr 29th, 2013 12:31 PM

You need only to know the parameters of your trip (train number, date of travel, coach number, place number) so that you can find your place. The conductor will need to know only the code marked PNR. You do not even have to print the reservation, here in Italy you can have it sent as a message on your cell phone. There should a second code (CP) needed to change the reservation, if applicable.

Goldens Apr 29th, 2013 12:47 PM

I would disagree with finding other seats and relocating. If reservations are required, then chances are the seats you re-locate to are someone else's seat. It's not that long a trip to just keep your original seats.
We have had other people in our reserved seats when we boarded a train and it's a hassle.

kybourbon Apr 29th, 2013 03:44 PM

Print and take with you. It will be scanned on board.

No you don't need to confirm your seats. Seats are mandatory on the fast trains which is why Trenitalia assigned them. You could have picked them yourself if you had clicked that in the ordering process.

Brenkjtravel Apr 29th, 2013 04:20 PM

One thing you can do when you travel is take a picture of documents that you will need, then if you loose anything you have it on your phone. Or just make sure all confirmations are in your e-mail, then you can access them even if you misplaced a phone or luggage.

cybertraveler Apr 29th, 2013 05:13 PM

I second the advice to back up all of your documents. We print out two copies; one set goes in DH's luggage, and the other in mine. We also upload copies to google and our phone...a little overboard, perhaps, but we'd rather be safe than sorry! Email is another great backup.

Another wonderful resource is Tripit.com; you can send them all of your confirmations and they enter them in a complete itinerary for you. I use them for every trip, and they've saved the day more than once!

Have a wonderful trip!