Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Just booked Eurostar to Paris :-D what should I do when i'm there?

Old Aug 27th, 2010, 02:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If anyone can help me. I'm a 26 year old female and it's my first time to Paris. I'm going on the 3rd Novemeber. I have pre-booked a hotel near the Louvre for 2 nights so far, but nothing else. My plan is to stay in Paris 6 days and then get the train to Amsterdam and stay there 6 days. I'm so excited!

Now what should I do in Paris? I enjoy darkened bars with live music... any genre of music really - apart from death metal. Now i'm going to be on my lonesome so are there any areas to avoid? I was also thinknig of getting a train in Paris to visit a more obscure town in Paris - somewhere local.

And Amsterdam I've heard is a walking city? So I don't want to plan too much... just wonder about.. get stoned - HA HA! just kidding. Hate the stuff.

Thanks in advance. And please help me... you can only get so far with a guide book
Old Aug 27th, 2010, 02:29 AM
ira

Hi T,

I assume that you have consulted 6-7 guidebooks about what to do in Paris and are now wondering if spending a day in Montmartre would be better than visiting Giverney - right?

Old Aug 27th, 2010, 02:42 AM
Original Poster

Erm . . . no actually, ha ha. I literally booked it like an hour ago :-S I have to admit to being a little ignorant... The only things i'm aware of In Paris are The Louvre, Eifel Tower and Moulin Rouge. Was just hoping someone could fill mer in on more stuff.
Old Aug 27th, 2010, 02:43 AM

You may want to look at www.paradiso.nl, or www.melkweg.nl to see if there are any concerts on that might appeal to you whilst you are in Amsterdam. Generally at these two venues you can buy a ticket at the door, along with temporary membership, unless it is a really big name when tickets tend to be sold out in advance.

The sites are in Dutch but pretty easy to navigate.
Old Aug 27th, 2010, 03:06 AM

"Was just hoping someone could fill mer in on more stuff."

You might want to start with a guidebook as there is a lot to see and do in both Paris and Amsterdam.

From your interests, Montmarte will interest you. There is also a thread here on Paris jazz clubs, you can search for it.

Day trips can be to Chateau Versailles, Giverny, Chartres, Reims.

None of that will mean anything to you till you do some research on the web or in a guidebook.
Old Aug 27th, 2010, 03:29 AM

Definitely get a guide book, but in the meantime just check out the destination info here on Fodors (click Destinations). TripAdvisor is also a great resource - type in Paris in the search box, then select "Things to Do."

One of the highlights of my recent (solo) trip to Paris was a bike tour with Fat Tire. I also loved my lunch at a vegetarian restaurant called Le Potager du Marais...heavenly warm goat cheese (with honey) salad.
Old Aug 27th, 2010, 05:38 AM

You really need to read a few guidebooks and tell us more about your interests. Why Paris? What draws you there?

You will not be able to see 'everything' in 6 days. I've been multple times, I need to go multiple times more to 'finish the list' (which is always changing).

Art? Music? Food? Architecture? Fashion? Slow...fast, budget, coming from..London? You want a day trip..what is your requirement for that?
Old Aug 27th, 2010, 06:12 AM

Amsterdam is a wonderful city to walk in. It also felt very safe to me, at all hours. We liked the Hotel Residence le Coin. Great central location, rooms have kitchenettes and are fairly new.