Just booked Barcelona hotel!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2nd, 2006, 07:56 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After weeks of research, I just booked a two night stay in May at the Apsis Gran Ronda. I was trying to find an affordable hotel near Pca Catalunya as I have read you can catch the bus to most tourist sites from here. Anyone ever stayed at Apsis Gran Ronda? Apsis Atrium Palace was a bit steep. Thanks!
Old Apr 2nd, 2006, 11:51 PM

You can catch either the bus or the Metro from the Placa Catalunya to the major sites.

I've only stayed at the Apsis Atrium Palace but if the Gran Ronda is anything like the Atrium I think you'll be fine. Hopefully the buffet breakfast is as extensive.
Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 12:52 AM

That is right around the corner from my apartment when I am in BCN. You are actually considerably closer to Universitat metro than you are to Catalunya, but it won't be at all hard to get to either one and both are well connected.

Just as a quick reference, your quickest way to Catalunya is to take Valldonzella street (it hits Ronda Sant Antoni and goes towards the Raval) to Tallers. Take a right and it will take you directly to the Ramblas. The metro is on your left.

If you catch Universitat, you can change at Catalunya, but getting from red to green is really confusing and frustrating. You literally have to go to a platform and walk the length of it, then head back upstairs and follow the arrows. . . annoying. So, it is worth the walk if you want the green line.

When will you be there? What are you planning on doing while in town?
Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 12:53 AM

By the way, you are a stone's throw away from one of Barcelona's best discotecas. . . La Paloma. You are also near most of the best clubs and bars (Tibidabo aside, which practically needs a day trip).
Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 02:32 AM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
I'm not sure what you consider affordable.

We stayed at H10 Placa Catalunya 2 years ago for 150E with a large buffet breakfast included. Not a fancy hotel but a solid 3 star and right on the Placa directly opposite el Corte Ingles. The bus to/from the airport stopped there and all transportation was right in front of us.

The breakfast room overlooked the square.

5 minute walk to sights in either direction.

Excellent location. Hotel was fine.
Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 02:58 AM

What do you consider affordable and how long will you be there. I just returned last week (absolutely loved Barcelona) and we stayed at the Hotel Continental which is right on Las Ramblas, just off Placa Catalunya. You just cannot beat that location for a short visit. It's walking distance to most things and the buses (tourist and regular, as well as metro) are right outside your door. It was 85€ night for a double. The balcony rooms are more but they didn't have any available while we were there. In fact the place was fully booked, I saw them turning people (without reservations) away. They have a 24 hour breakfast buffett and free soda/bottled water all day. Rooms have microwave, fridge, AC, TV, hairdryer, safe.
Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 03:29 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for all of your replies. I did try to book the Placa Catalunya but they were booked. I was trying to stay under 130 euros a night but I could not find anything close to Catalunya at that rate. The reason I wanted to stay close to Catalunya because we will only be there for 2 days and although I am packing light, I did not want to lug my suitcase far.
Laclaire, We will be in BCN on Sat May 6 and leaving to IBZ on May 8. We plan to see eveything we can in the limited time and thanks for the club suggestions, because we are meeting other friends from Chicago there also.