Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Just booked a solo trip to Paris! (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/just-booked-a-solo-trip-to-paris-837740/)

sherhatfield Apr 28th, 2010 06:09 AM

Just booked a solo trip to Paris!

Ever since I was in Paris last year with my husband, I've said I wanted to go back on my own. Something about the city just captured me and I wanted to see it again without having to accomodate anyone else. Fast forward to today, where my husband and I are going thru some tough times and we are currently separated. We had a trip planned for the caribbean but decided to cancel. We both said we would probably go somewhere just for a few days to get away from it all. I decided to take the opportunity to take a trip back to Paris!

I'll be there just a short time; I arrive at 6am on a Thursday and fly out that Sunday at 4 pm. I think that will be a good amount of time for me to try out a solo trip and still do those things I didn't do last time. I'm not big into museums, so unless it happens to rain, I plan to just explore the city at my own pace. My only requirements are that I have pain au chocolat each morning and a crepe at some point during the day!

Friends have already given me the "don't you think it is unsafe for a single 30-something woman to be alone in Paris?" speech but I'm not worried about it. I am so looking forward to doing things on my own without having to worry about what someone else wants to do. In addition, this time alone will give me time to reflect on my issues at home.

I've read lots of solo trip reports but if anyone has any advice or tips to offer, I'd welcome them! I fly out in 14 days. :)

CarolA Apr 28th, 2010 06:18 AM

Well as a "single 40- something woman" who has been alone in Paris at least five times... tell your friends that "yes it's safe, probably safer then where you currently live"

(Are you suppose to go into the witness protection program as a "single woman" since the world's not safe?)

Anyway, have a great time. I find that making a tenative plan of things I do want to see helps me get "organized" It often gets "thrown out' but it does help me. For example, if you want to shop at the big department stores try to do that Friday because Saturday is a madhouse or what museum would you go to if it does rain. Stuff like that.

sherhatfield Apr 28th, 2010 06:22 AM

Thanks, CarolA! Yes, I find myself telling nay-sayers that me staying in Baltimore can be more dangerous than Paris! There are unsafe places everywhere - I don't understand when you put yourself in a different country people think you are crazy!

Good points on the tentative plan. I've got lots of trip reports to re-read to get ideas!

Ruby99 Apr 28th, 2010 06:23 AM

Have fun!!! I'm going somewhat solo too in a couple weeks (will be in the city with relatives but am staying alone in the 6th, they are in the 15th) and am not worried about safety. I think what I'm most worried about is eating in restaurants solo!!!

Can't wait to hear about your trip !

StCirq Apr 28th, 2010 06:39 AM

Your friends are just jealous. Statistics show clearly that it's far safer to be in Paris alone than in Baltimore. It's a big city, so of course you should take the normal precautions, but jeez, safety in Paris in general just simply isn't an issue.

I've been in Paris alone probably 50 times, and several times when I was on a trip contemplating "issues at home" and big life changes. It's a wonderful place to just let yourself wander and reflect on life in general. As stated above, make a general plan so you know when things are open and closed, and just branch out from there and be open to absorbing whatever the city offers up to you. Have a ball.

sherhatfield Apr 28th, 2010 06:44 AM

StCirq- I've read many of your reports and it is thanks to people like you and gracejoan that have inspired me to travel alone and be excited about it!

kja Apr 28th, 2010 06:47 AM

I love traveling alone, and for what it's worth, I actually feel safer alone than with others - I'm more attentive to my environment than when I'm interacting with someone. Take the opportunity to do whatever you want, whenever you want. Go and enjoy yourself!

eliza61 Apr 28th, 2010 07:42 AM

Good for you!! I'm getting the same "the world is unsafe" song and dance also for my upcoming trip in May (yeah 25 days and counting). I could care less. Go for it!! My husband has no desire to see Paris, and having been born and raised in NYC, I've managed to survive for 50 years.

make sure you post a report when you get back.

gracejoan3 Apr 28th, 2010 07:52 AM

As you already know, I travel alone regularly. There are a lot of good things to say about it..come and go as you please, when and where!

Probably good timing for you to get away on your own. You will have a great time. Sounds like playing it by ear will be the best way for you on this trip. You will be ready to make plans to return again.

Happy planning....

Joan

tod Apr 28th, 2010 09:37 AM

Another solo traveler here - at certain times! My DH lets me wander far and wide and meet up with friends and family spread around the world. Isn't he a dear? He also likes me to be his tour guide when we travel together (which is mostly)and I do ALL the planning which makes life easier!
When on my own, I have a definite list of restaurants and get the hotel to book for me a day or two ahead. I grab my trusty guide book and go where and when I please. Lonely? Not a bit. I make friends easily and definitely recommend you meet other Fodorites on a GTG lunch or dinner at least for one evening.
Have a wonderful time!

Margaretlb Apr 28th, 2010 10:04 AM

And this 50something also agrees- Paris is great when on your own. Totally safe using your normal city awareness. My first solo was only four nights and I can't wait to do it again - only for a longer time. Even when I vist with DH, we have many days that we go it alone and meet up for dinner.

Michel_Paris Apr 28th, 2010 10:11 AM

Another soloist here. Paris is a great city for walking, stopping and loungeing at a cafe doing not much....so I think we can create an itinerary for you. It will be imperative for you to minimize jet lag, there is a recent thread on this

JulieVikmanis Apr 28th, 2010 10:11 AM

If you'll be there on May 29 and would be interested to meet others, don't forget the Fodors GTG at Bouillon Racine at 5 p.m. that date. We'd love to add you to our list which includes at least 2 others who have responded to this thread already.

pookymimi Apr 28th, 2010 10:22 AM

Although I'm not going to Paris I sympathize with you on your let's go on my own, while you are going through this tough times in your marriage. Main reason why I'm taking off with my kids as far as I can go, putting an ocean between us, to sort out our life.

ginainmi42 Apr 28th, 2010 10:38 AM

I am so envious! I took my first solo trip over four years ago and, like you, it was to Paris. I was there six days and had the most delightful time wandering the streets, meeting up with Tod and another gal for drinks and dinner, and just soaking up the atmosphere of what is my favorite city in the world.

Have a wonderful time!

sherhatfield Apr 28th, 2010 10:39 AM

Thanks everyone for your words of encouragement! I'll be there the 13th of May thru the 16th so unfortunately I'll be too early for the GTG.

cynthia_booker Apr 28th, 2010 11:53 AM

Sherhatfield, I just re-read your travel addiction thread from February, 09, and noticed all your trip reports. With as much travel experience as you have had, you will certainly not experience any of the intimidation some of us had to conquer when our first real travel was solo.
Please don't forget to post a report when you get back.

cls2paris Apr 28th, 2010 12:21 PM

sherhatfield - I've felt the same for a long time. I've been to Paris 8 times and have a need to be alone there. My friends and family don't understand why I would want to be alone and not "share" my experiences with a travel partner. I am doing "2 trips in one" in 3 weeks! I'm going with 2 friends and they are staying 5 nights, I'm extending my trip 4 nights and going solo! I'm pretty familiar with Paris and not concerned about my safety, just taking the normal precautions. But, I have to admit that I think it will be somewhat isolating because I don't speak much French - on the flipside, I think that will make it more of an adventure! I am considering a ParisVision tour to Fountainbleau, so I'll have some socialization on one day! I'll look foward to reading about your trip before I leave on mine! Have fun!

SusanP Apr 28th, 2010 01:47 PM

I spent nine nights in Paris by myself last summer. I've also been to Italy seven times by myself, including four years ago with a trip to Rome when I was in the middle of getting divorced. Best thing I could have done at that time! I've never had any worries in either place being myself. Have a great time!

Nikki Apr 28th, 2010 04:41 PM

Have a great time! I agree with the advice to go with a plan of things you want to see. I don't go with a set itinerary, but I do buy tickets and schedule specific events such as concerts ahead of time. Then I have a loose idea of other things I would like to see and do, and if I don't get to something I am not bothered by it.

Trip reports here have inspired me and given me endless ideas, and it seems that you have discovered that already.