Just back: Venice,5terre,Tuscany

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2nd, 2003, 12:01 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First, I would like to thank everyone for their help. Great trip...Hot though...Locanda Barbarigo in Venice is great...and the a/c works great!!! Clean well appointed rooms and delightful personnel...I will return.
In Florence....Hotel Casci...clean,good a/c and the most wonderful staff...I wanted them to adopt me.
Riomaggiore apartment booked online through EDI.
Stayed with friends at a house north of Arezzo....Great food...beautiful scenery...incredible people....I will answer any questions...thanks for your help. Maggie
Old Jul 2nd, 2003, 12:24 PM
Intrepid

Please tell the "confused" among us what you WORE and that there isn't any "dress code"....please! Glad you enjoyed your trip!

Old Jul 2nd, 2003, 04:54 PM

Welcome back Maggie--very glad you had a wonderful time. I am pleased you liked the Locanda Barbarigo--it had gotten a bad rap before.
Old Jul 3rd, 2003, 06:19 PM

Cinque Terre -- Glad to have gone?? Worth one of five days?? Sounds like it but looking for clarification, as I've heard it has gotten a little overly commercialized. What about Venice v. Florence??
Old Jul 4th, 2003, 03:33 AM
JM

Mshaw:
I'm thinking about having my son book the Barbarigo for this weekend - about the only AC place with triple availability. Your review is so different from Jennifer's bad one of this place. I don't understand it.
Old Jul 4th, 2003, 05:18 AM

Jennifer had one problem--the AC was out. Now it seems to be fixed.
Old Jul 4th, 2003, 06:53 AM

A friend and I are doing a very similar trip in October. We have 10 nights - we're starting in Venice and will be there 3 nights and then head to CT for another 3 nights but I'm having a hard time trying to figure out where to stay. How was Riomaggiore and the apartment you stayed in? Any advice about which of the towns would be the best? Is it essential to make reservations ahead of time? We'll possibly have a third friend with us but she's not made up her mind so it makes the planning a little harder. Any advice would be appreciated.
Old Jul 4th, 2003, 08:21 AM
JM

It's my understanding that Jennifer thought the place was not clean, and the owners unresponsive.
Old Jul 5th, 2003, 01:26 PM
Original Poster

Hello!
I spoke to the Barbarigo prior to arriving...They explained that they cannot go from heating to a/c without a technician...It went from cold to hot overnight and it took two days to get a tech...I was impressed by the a/c...hottest June in 31 years....You control it yourself,too. The place is spotless....It is unfortunate that JenniferW had a bad experience..but I stayed there 3 days upon arrival and one on departure and was happy....We had two different rooms...I prefer room #1...Nice bathroom and large room.I don't get where the unclean comment is coming from at all....I found the place VERY CLEAN.
As for Cinque Terre...We stayed a week in Riomaggiore...Second time I have done this....Riomaggiore has a sense of commuity and is not commercial.I like it best and I like Manarola...I find Montrosso the most commercial. I was in Riomaggiore 3 years ago and since it's park designation there have been improvements to trails...and they offer some good deals on passes for trains,trails,etc.
Booking there...do a web search for Cinque Terre and go to the site with "Sunrise" in the URL. You will have to send a check deposit if you book throgh Edi...I have done this twice....Don't go if you don't like to climb stairs.....My last two apartments have been on the top floors....many stairs(96 to the street this time!!!!). This apartment was on the top two foors..kitchen,bath, bedroom with double bed,terrace....insist on a terrace...little to no a/c in Cinque Terre...and the views....beautiful. I find a terrace mandatory! You can find rooms without revervations(difficult in July and August)...but they might not have a window....book ahead. Also, in the Summer you get alot of backpacking partying kids on this part of the coast....having been there in October and June...I like October a bit better...cooler for hiking and the kid factor decreases.FYI...the apartment...high season was 520 Euros for the week. Maggie
Old Jul 5th, 2003, 01:55 PM
Original Poster

As for Florence vs Venice.....I am very partial to Florence....I simple love that city...but if you haven't seen Venice...you must do that also...It has to be seen to be believed...It is a surprising combination of beauty and decay....It shouldn't exist..but it does! So if I had to pick...I would say that you have to see Venice once...but I will keep returning to Florence. Hope that helps! maggie