House exchange France/Swiss border - Possible day trips and/or overnights

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21st, 2009, 08:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have arranged our first home exchange in France which is 15 minutes from Geneva airport. We arrive July 27th and depart August 16th so will be there around 3 weeks. Recommended day trips from our host include Annency, Yvoire, and the wine country through Montreux.

Potential overnights (we would like to limit to 3 to take advantage of the economy of house exchange and to enjoy the area) would be Luzerne, Basel, Burgundy (Beaune), Dijon, Lyon, and Zermatt. We may also visit some relatives in Lausanne, and/or Neuchatel.

In addition, my cousin would really like to get to Italy so we were thinking of a day trip to Aosta. I would love to go to the lake regions in Italy but may have to save that location for another trip.

We have been to Italy, France, Austria, Germany and Spain and have loved them all. We like the big cities as well as the smaller villages/towns. We enjoy art, history, beautiful scenery, good food and drink. I would be interested in some mild to moderate hikes as well.

Does anybody have any recommendations for us? Could be a unique city/village, a special site to see, a great restaurant etc etc. Do any of the above stand out for you? I am sure there are more questions but will wait to see the response. Thank you so much as this board as helped tremendously in the past.
Old Jun 24th, 2009, 04:49 AM
Original Poster

ttt
Old Jul 13th, 2009, 08:52 AM
Original Poster

Anybody??
Old Jul 13th, 2009, 10:12 AM

Well Aosta is in Italy but it's not very Italian. We stayd there overnight - had some cut Roman ruins - but frankly it seems more like Switzerland than Italy.
Old Jul 13th, 2009, 05:48 PM
Original Poster

Yes. My cousin who has only been to Europe one other time would like to step onto Italian soil...we were thinking of taking the tram from Chamonix with an overnight bag and see what happens.
Old Jul 13th, 2009, 11:33 PM

Hi Znstravels
Montreux is a definite must see - the area by the lake, the old town partway up the hill, Chillon Castle on the lakeside, cruise on the lake, cog railway to the top of the mountains . . . we spent a week just in that area!! Just click on my screen name to see details of the report for those experiences.

You may need to check with your exchange family re driving the car into Italy - we have found that some owners don't insure their vehicles for either Italy or Eastern Europe travel.

This year we are exchanging in Ireland and Belgium at the same time as your exchange - happy travels, Di
Old Jul 14th, 2009, 05:36 PM
Original Poster

Thank you Di. I hope you enjoy your trip as well. Both places on my list!! I am hoping that this is the first of many home exchanges!