Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Just Back from x-mas in Paris, Hogmanay in Scotland!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9th, 2000, 03:14 PM
Chris Magill

Thanks to homework made easy by this Fodor forum, my partner and I just completed a wonderful 23-day adventure of France, Netherlands, and the UK. <BR> <BR>Our gem-highlights include a romantic Christmas in windy Paris, and a party-filled Hogmanay (New Years) in Stirling, Scotland. Our route was Vancouver to Paris, train to Amsterdam and back to Paris, plane to London, then train to Scotland and back where we flew home from London. Negatives are few, but the 30-plus tour buses at Versailles castle near Paris was uncomfortable, if not annoying. Additionally, it’s difficult to psychosocially prepare for the amazingly high-costs of London. However, it was a trip to fondly remember and now that I am more versed on travel tips, I’d love to give back what other Fodorites so generously gave me! <BR> <BR>

Old Jan 10th, 2000, 05:54 AM
Maira

Welcome back and welcome the offer to share the experiences? <BR> <BR>What about if we start with hotels? Any recommendations? Specially for Amsterdam where it seems to be such a task to find a hotel deal...What about Scotland? <BR> <BR>Details, please....

Old Jan 10th, 2000, 08:17 AM
kathy

Welcome home! I'd love to get any information you have about Amsterdam too. How long were you there? Did you go directly from the airport to the Netherlands? What was the cost of your round trip fare? Suggestions for hotels in Amsterdam? Did you have reservations first. What sites did you enjoy there? Any to bypass? Did you take side trips from Amsterdam or navigate around the town itself? Food! any special finds to share? Any special "things" to bring home as reminders? Whew! Sorry to pounce, but I bet you have the information I'm trying to get. Thanks in advance for your help.

Old Jan 10th, 2000, 01:28 PM
Sheila

Great you had a good time. <BR> <BR>Did you get to Edinburgh for Hogmanay? If so, how did you get back in the end/ if not did you have tickes for the "do" at Stirling Castle? <BR> <BR>Did you see the Beating the Retreat in Edinburgh on the 30th?

Old Sep 4th, 2000, 04:51 PM
Rahul

I would appreciate if you can give me some input as I am also planning a romantic trip to Paris during Christmas 2000. How would it be at that time ? What are "Must See" ? Where did you stay and eat ? <BR> <BR>Would there be any fireworks at that time ? <BR> <BR>Thanks <BR>