Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Just back from Venice .... it most certainly lived up to my memories and more! (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/just-back-from-venice-it-most-certainly-lived-up-to-my-memories-and-more-652467/)

lyb Oct 12th, 2006 10:12 AM

Just back from Venice .... it most certainly lived up to my memories and more!

I just came back from Venice and before I left I had posted a message saying that I was concerned that it may not live up to my memories...well...I was wrong! It most certainly did live up to my memories and now created some more memories to live up to for my next trip, because I will return!

The weather was wonderful, the location of the hotel perfect and I couldn't have asked for a better trip.

I'll write a trip report as soon as I'm more alert since I just came home yesterday and back at work today (yuck!) In addition to Venice, there was a surprise little trip to Paris for the evening...since my plane out of Venice was too late and I missed my connection in Paris...Darn, what a tough thing, having to spend the night in Paris at the expense of Air France. :)

missypie Oct 12th, 2006 10:49 AM

So glad Venice came through for you!

lvitaly Oct 12th, 2006 10:52 AM

Dang, that could have happened to us! We were late out of Rome,but the airlines rushed us through in Paris to make sure we did not miss our connecting flight on Tues.Air France was late out of Paris, we missed our connecting flight in Atlanta and had to stay in an hotel there at Delta's expense. Sue wish it was in Paris and not Atlanta, lucky you!!!

NJriverchick Oct 12th, 2006 11:40 AM

Dont go back to Venice!!!!

After my magical first trip to Venice I was determined to go back....so 12 years later I returned and was so bummed I did not get that same feeling ~ just like watching a movie twice you can never experience the rush of the first time....

IMHO

suze Oct 12th, 2006 11:43 AM

NJriverchick- But obviously that's not true for everyone, that's whay lyb's post is all about.

lyb Oct 12th, 2006 01:44 PM

Definitely not true for me...of course, it was different the second time around and since I was there 9 1/2 days as opposed to 1 1/2 days, I got to explore all neighborhoods and honestly, I would love to be able to own a place there and go at all different times, it felt very much like home!

francophile03 Oct 12th, 2006 06:58 PM

lyb, I am glad you enjoyed Venice. And that unexpected overnighter in Paris, now, that was a good surprise.

Would you mind letting us know the hotel you stayed at courtesy of Air France? Thanks.

lyb Oct 13th, 2006 08:12 AM

francophile,

Paris was definitely a nice surprise, and havinb been there just last year, I felt comfortable knowing where I wanted to go and how to get there.

Air France put me up at the Ibis Ville by the airport. Not the greatest hotel, but the sheets and bathroom were clean, breakfast the next day was plenty so, for free and since I barely spent anytime there, it worked.

cadillac1234 Oct 13th, 2006 11:44 AM

Venice gets better and better each time we visit it as well.

Statia Oct 17th, 2006 03:33 PM

lyb, I'm coming upon your post a bit late since I've been traveling for the past month, but wanted to chime in and say that I'm so glad that magical Venezia lived up to your memories. I have enjoyed your posts for a long time and will have to look for your trip report.

Venice is most certainly an enchanting city, isn't it? We were there again last October and I can agree that the weather was fabulous....at least for those of us who get tired of 365 days a year of sunshine and warm weather. ;)

I'm glad to hear your trip was so wonderful. :)

bettyo70 Oct 20th, 2006 12:23 PM

lyb: Where did you stay during your Venice trip? Eagerly awaiting your reort...

I've found cities like Venice and Paris equally as impressive on return trips. I JUST TRY NOT TO TRAVEL TO EUROPE FROM MID-JUNE UNTIL SEPTEMBER. I hate crowds and long lines.

lyb Oct 20th, 2006 02:37 PM

Statia,

The weather was wonderful for me, because I would love sunshine 365 days a year. :)

betty,

I should have my trip report and photos out within a week or so.

Been so tired since I came back and a now a flu/cold bug is trying to get back, but I'm fighting back!!

Also, this week is a big celebration for me ...the big 50! Yikes! So I won't be getting to the computer a lot, my friends are coming into town and my sister who lives in Hawaii has flown as a surprise to celebrate her baby sister's 50!! :)

lyb Oct 20th, 2006 02:40 PM

betty,

Forgot, I stayed at Hotel Ca' Formenta, really liked it. I'll have pictures of the hotel as well.

It was great, as I came in I was pleasantly surprised with a basked filled with fresh fruit. Apparently they do this for people who have longer stay, I stayed there 9 nights!

The fresh fruit came in very handy as a snack when I returned after a full day of sightseeing!

bettyo70 Oct 21st, 2006 06:35 PM

lyb,

Ciao, and Happy 50th!!