Reload this Page >

Just back from Santiago de Compostela, Spain

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31st, 1999, 06:05 AM
MarkJ

Hi all, my wife and I just returned from Santiago de Compostela with a day trip to La Coruna. <BR> <BR>We arrived on the 24th and made it to the Cathedral (actually the park across from the Cathedral) just in time for the fireworks which began at midnight for the "official" start of the Feast of Saint James. <BR> <BR>Almost all of our time in Santiago was spent in the old town around the Cathedral. This is an area with many beautiful buildings. <BR> <BR>The food was wonderful and the weather was great. Our day trip to La Coruna was short (got a late start) so we made our way to the Light House after first stopping at the Midevil Market. The view from the Light House was great. <BR> <BR>For anyone thinking about going to Spain I highly recommend adding the Galicia region to your itenerary(sp?), especially if you are going in the summer, it will give you a nice break from the heat. One word of caution though, if you go you need to have some knowledge of Spainish because a majority of people in this region only speak Spainish and or Galician (which is fine since that is there native language, I mention it only so non Spainish speaking travelers will be aware - don't want to start any "ugly American" threads).

Old Jul 31st, 1999, 07:25 AM
Maira

Mark, good to have you back. Glad you had a good time. Where did you stayed and how would you rate it? Agree with yout tip on the language, although people do make a super effort to understand you. Spanish people are great! How were the festivities of St. James? Isn't the altar on the Cathedral an amazing sight?! Talk about trying to make an impression on a tired pilgrim.....

Old Jul 31st, 1999, 03:45 PM
Catherine

Hi Mark, <BR>I am glad you enjoyed your holiday.I would like to know if you saw any pilgrims?Did they look tired and dirty. <BR>My husband and I would like to walk across the pyrenees to Santiago de Compostela one day. <BR>

Old Aug 1st, 1999, 02:46 AM
graziella

Hi Maira , hi Catherine, I read this post because I was there this year and loved it! <BR>We stayed at a new hotel called San Carlos , rated 4 stars, it was reasonably priced, and being new totally impeccable , located a short walk from the Cathedral. <BR> <BR>--We encountered several pilgrims , it was particullarly touching one morning we got early into the Cathedral through a side door, being the main door closed. <BR>Mass was on for a very few locals, we <BR>stayed in the back between the door and the famous "portal" and then out of the blue moon two pilgirms arrived and we were exactly behind them when they put their hands into the marble pillar... <BR>it was touching, they looked ok, a little tired may be, had their backpacks <BR>and their bastones....it must have been an awsome experience for them,in a way it was touching for us, mere expectators, if you can do it:=))

Old Aug 1st, 1999, 03:56 AM
MarkJ

We stayed at the Melia Confort Hotel. It was very nice 4 stars. Can't give price on hotel because the tour company we used (a first for us) could not get us a room at their usual hotels (and after a great deal of "discussion") they found us a room here at no additional charge to us (that was what the discussion was about). The hotel was very nice and the people were helpful. <BR> <BR>Yes we saw many many pilgrams and spoke to a few, all said it was quite an experience. <BR> <BR>MJ

Old Aug 9th, 1999, 11:31 PM
covadonga

Hi, Mark. <BR>I am glad that you enjoyed your trip to Santiago. <BR>I read your thread about Spanair. Sorry about that, but sometimes although they belong to SAS, they donīt live up to the "scandinavian" expectations. A couple of weeks ago there was a riot in Barajas because they didnīt want to explain to the passengers what was going on with their flight (almost 12 hours delayed). <BR>I only hope you had fine weather while in Galicia. The last week has been a complete disaster, and there were almost 50,000 young pilgrims from all over Europe (poor things). <BR>Did you enjoy the exhibitions? Some of them are really interesting, and being able to visit San Martin Pinario is an experience, because usually itīs closed to the public. <BR>Regards.

Old Feb 7th, 2000, 01:23 AM
covadonga

For Rod