Reload this Page >

Just back from Prague, Vienna, Salzburg, Munich and Luzern

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15th, 1999, 10:13 AM
bp

Hi, <BR> <BR>My husband and I just returned from our third to Europe. We had a fablous time, please feel to ask me any questions you might have and I will try to answer any that I have information on.

Old Sep 15th, 1999, 11:15 AM
dc

We will be going to Prague (and perhaps Germany) on our honeymoon. Do you have any suggestions for accommodations/restaurants/sites in Prague? What cities do you recommend that we visit in Germany? We will be traveling for two weeks. It is our 1st trip to Europe. Thanks! <BR> <BR>

Old Sep 16th, 1999, 04:51 AM
bp

In Prague we stayed at the Hotel Meteor good location and the rooms were nice. The sites that I enjoyed the most were the Charles Bridge, Jewish Quarter, Old Town Square just sitting outside in the square in fun. We had a really great meal at a place called Aambiente (very cheap too). Had fun at a pub called the Dug Out. <BR> <BR>If you have two weeks you should also visit Austria, go see Salzburg, it was absolutely beautiful and very quaint, and a city near there that was so beautiful named St. Gilgen. <BR>In Germany I have been to Berlin - didn't care for it as much as the others a really big city. Munich is also a great city to visit, fun beer halls and easy to get to sites. When we were taking the train to Switzerland some of the cities in Southern Germany near lake Bodensee looked so neat, you may want to investigate this area in Germany. Have a great trip!!

Old Sep 16th, 1999, 06:55 AM
Byrd

Hi- We have two nights in Luzern next month. Any suggestions? <BR>Did you take the cable car to Mt. Pilatus? <BR>Byrd <BR> <BR>

Old Sep 16th, 1999, 07:12 AM
Gino

Definitely agree about St. Gilgen. Easily accessible by bus(luggage no problem) across from the train station. 30-45min ride. Accomodations are reasonable, and much to see and do. Ride the Schafbergbahn steam train to the top of the mountain. Take ferry to other towns on lake Wolfgansee. We stayed at the Fruhstuckspension Kendlerhof, Streicherpl 6. Perfect homemoon spot for a couple nites at a fraction of the cost of Salzburg

Old Sep 16th, 1999, 09:48 AM
bp

Byrd: <BR>Luzern is beautiful--but extremely expensive! We took the gondola to the top of Mt. Pilatus. Just take the number 1 bus, follow the signs and there is no need to pay for a tour. It took us three hours to get to Mt. Pilatus visit for an hour and get home. If we would have had more time it would have been fun to climb some it, people do climb this mountain, takes about 6 hours though. We stayed at the Rothaus in Luzern, it was by far the worst hotel of our trip $140/night rude staff, I had a better college dorm! We had a realy good meal near there at a Pizza/Itailian restaurant I think called Ruzuli. Let me know if you need anymore information.

Old Sep 16th, 1999, 11:34 AM
Byrd

Thanks for the information, especially the restaurant recommendation. We have reservations at the Hotel Flora, which we understand is well-located and o.k., if not luxurious. We'll hope for the best! If the weather is clear, we want to do Mt. Pilatus. Thanks for the tip on going without benefit of tour group. Anything else you can think of to recommend would be appreciated. We hope our son, who will be in Finland on business, will be able to join us in Luzern, so of course we're looking forward to having a great time there. <BR>

Old Sep 16th, 1999, 11:35 AM
Byrd

Thanks for the information, especially the restaurant recommendation. We have reservations at the Hotel Flora, which we understand is well-located and o.k., if not luxurious. We'll hope for the best! If the weather is clear, we want to do Mt. Pilatus. Thanks for the tip on going without benefit of tour group. Anything else you can think of to recommend would be appreciated. We hope our son, who will be in Finland on business, will be able to join us in Luzern, so of course we're looking forward to having a great time there. <BR>

Old Sep 16th, 1999, 11:35 AM
Byrd

Old Sep 16th, 1999, 02:53 PM
mafoos

Cafe Bohemia in Prague was delightful - on Wenceslas Sq. <BR>Premiant gave a good tour of city and we also went to Ceske Krumlov - a medieval town a couple hours from Prague. Well worth it!!! <BR>Vienna - Mozart Cafe, excellent. Great museums - Belvedere for art as well as Kunthistoriches. Do all the tourist things. <BR>We found Budapest to be well worth the trip also - stayed at Hotel Alba in Castle district. <BR>

Old Sep 18th, 1999, 03:19 AM
Beth

Can you recommend hotels in Vienna, Salzburg and Munich? We'll be there in early November, and it's so hard to tell what is nice from a little picture on the internet. We like nice hotels. Thanks!

Old Sep 20th, 1999, 01:28 PM
bp

Byrd and Beth, <BR> <BR>We saw your hotel when we were there (Flora), you can walk from the train station to your hotel! Great location! <BR> <BR>In Vienna we stayed at Hotel Erzog Rainer-it was out aways from the ring, which was unfortunate. <BR> <BR>In Salzburg we stayed at the hotel Elefant, supposedly from 1307 was pretty neat around $150-$160 great location, you have to take a taxi to most hotels from the train station. <BR> <BR>In Munich we have stayed at both the Jedermann and this last time at Uhland Garni which is a converted mansion in a nice residential neighborhood, both are within walking distance of the train station. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Old Sep 21st, 1999, 04:17 AM
ph

Thanks a lot for sharing!! I would like to know if you speak german and, if your answer is "no", did you have a problem with it in Vienna?

Old Sep 21st, 1999, 04:53 AM
s.fowler

You should have little problem in Vienna with little or no German. It is a very rational city and you will quickly recognize the basic words you need like ausgang, eingang and verboten. Note: When entering a store the Viennese say "Gruss Got" rather than good morning. Civility and a smile work pretty well, although the Viennese can be a dour people.

Old Sep 21st, 1999, 05:44 AM
SHAWN

Hi, I will be in Vienna for 4 days total and will spend most of my time sightseeing. Is the tourist card worth the price for 4 days also what types of discounts can the care be used for.

Old Sep 27th, 1999, 01:44 PM
Jaime Torres George

<BR>Bp: <BR> <BR> <BR>I'm going to Europe next november and just want to know where i can buy a suisse watch in Lucerne <BR>There's any watch shop outlet? <BR>Hows are the prices? <BR> <BR>Do you think can i find a stainless steel Rolex or Tag Huer or a Breitling <BR>with $500.00 <BR> <BR>I'll appreciate your help. <BR> <BR>Thank You.

Old Sep 28th, 1999, 04:17 AM
bp

Jaime, <BR> <BR>We bought a clock in Lucern there were watch and clock stores everywhere in the pedestiran areas, you can't miss them. I would shop around to a few stores prices seemed to vary some. I didn't look at watches so I don't know what you could buy with $500. I think there is a popular watch/clock store in Lucern that is also on the net Bucher (sp?)

Old Oct 19th, 1999, 07:55 AM
Sam

I am interested in more deatails on Hotel Elefant in Prague. We are a family of 4 and want to know if any of the rooms are large enough for a family? Could you walk everywhere from there? Were the rates good for the accomodations? <BR>

Old Oct 19th, 1999, 09:17 AM
bp

Sam, <BR> <BR>The Hotel Elefant is in Salzburg. In Prague we stayed at the Hotel Meteor. Very centrally located, we paid about $165/night. The rooms were decent sized for european standards, but nothing fancy. We booked it through Best Western's 800#. I am sure that they have rooms big enough for 4 people. The buffet was very nice as well.