Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Just back from our vacation. Loved it. Need suggestions on where to go next year??

Just back from our vacation. Loved it. Need suggestions on where to go next year??

Aug 30th, 2000, 03:51 AM
Lisa

Traveling with my son who is disabled. Would like to go to Portugal. Would this be a wise choice considering wheelchair accessibility?

Aug 30th, 2000, 04:23 AM
Paige

Where did you just go? Please tell us about your trip!

Aug 30th, 2000, 04:38 AM
Lisa

We just came back from visiting Brussels, Amsterdam and Luembourg City. Would like to go to Luxembourg again - love the history. People are very pleasant and helpful. Amsterdam was nice to see - not my cup of tea. Brussels was interesting-loved the chocolates and waffles and crepes. Back on my diet now. Only problem we ran into was at the train stations. If they had a lift - it was not working but we managed. Next year I am packing light. 1 suitcase - will do laundry as we travel.

Aug 30th, 2000, 05:23 AM
Kristin

I applaud you for trying to travel in Europe with your son. I am always amazed at how NOT-accessible so many places are. Of course, I understand that it is expensive to make services wheelchair accessible, but when we were in Paris last summer, I kept thinking that disabled people just didn't have a prayer there. Don't get me wrong, I loved (!!!) Paris, but it would be extremely difficult for disabled people to live or travel there from what I could see.

Aug 30th, 2000, 03:04 PM
SharonM

My mother has MS and is also in a wheelchair. Although She has not traveled with me to Europe, I did live in Portugal for awhile...
Many places are very hilly, and sidewalks and streets cobbled and uneven. I believe it would be quite difficult to do much "walking", as it were...Many elevators are quite small, as well.

Aug 31st, 2000, 05:42 AM
topper

Aug 31st, 2000, 09:45 AM
Kavey

Hi Lisa

Trouble with many areas in Europe is they were often built before it became common place to consider wheelchair access.

These days, in Europe as elsewhere, any new transport links, buildings or anything at all must comply with access rules to make sure all can use them.

But it is very expensive and difficult to create good access in existing stations buildings etc.

However it can be done, I have seen some older buildings which have been well adapted.

I think the trouble is that the laws on access apply to new buildings only, and until there is a mandate that ALL buildings must be brought into line, there will always be this same problem.

Kavey

Aug 31st, 2000, 12:44 PM
amg

Lisa,

Assuming you are not coming from Canada, have you looked into Canada. The Washington Post Travel section (on line at http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/travel/) had an article comparing Canadian cities to European cities.
I have visited Victoria and Vancover and both are beautiful and they appeared more disability friendly then most of the European cities I have been to. Victoria has the feel of England.

Good luck on your search,
Aileen

Sep 1st, 2000, 12:30 AM
Phil

Lisa,

Have you considered visiting one of the Nordic countries (Denmark, Norway, Sweden, Finland)? All of these countries require public buildings, transport, etc. to be accessible to everyone.

In addition to the outstanding friendliness of these peoples will make you feel really welcome.

Many happy journeys

Phil

Sep 1st, 2000, 04:09 AM
Ben Haines

Fodors

Congratulations ob getting enjoyment from what must have beenb a pretty strenuoustrip. I'm afraid Londonhastheproblem others have m4entioned, that the tube system and bussesdon't cope with wheelchairs. Local trains do (ytou can go to Greenwich, to Hampton Court, and -- if you can push uphill -- to Windsor. So do the new lins, the Docklands Light Railway and the Jubilee Line Extension, but they go hardly anywhere you want to go.

Our law is like Canadian: public buildings must have ramps, lifts, slopes, or what have you to give wheelchair access. I've just hadto check that our loical church is legal -- it is, though I wouldn't like to try our toilet or bathroom in a wheelchair. There's a cheerful website on this on http:// cgi.chicago.tribune.com:80/travel/features/sunday/0,1726,9909050135,0.
And a bopok. "Access in London", bvy Girdon Couch, William Forrester and Justin Irwin, Quiller Press London, 1996, ISBN 9 781899 163182. Every building you can think of was researched by packs of student and other volunteers, and the reports are exact. The book makes me proud of my city.

But you're still stuck with getting to and from these buildings. So I think you want a wheelchair-friendly centrally placed hotel. If you can afford it, at 190 to 255 pounds a night, the Charing Cross Thistle Hotel has three adapted rooms. Their web page is http://london.hotelguide.net/data/h100316.htm
The Regent Palace Hotel on Piccadilly Circus, too, has wheelchair access, and is cheaper, but less elegant. They have a web site.

There's a web page on Paris with disability at
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/1502/...litylinks.html

Please write if I can help further.

Ben Haines, London

Sep 1st, 2000, 04:14 AM
lisa

Thanks to all of you for your responses. We have been to London, Vienna, Graz, Innsbruck, Salzburg, Brussels, Amsterdam and Luxembourg City in Luxembourg. If anyone is interested Luxembourg City was very wheelchair friendly. I don't think they did for people in wheelchairs but alot of there buses don't have steps anymore. It's the kind where you just walk on. I thought this was really neat considering we live in the United States and our buses don't have that. Thanks again for your suggestions.

Sep 18th, 2000, 03:00 PM
julie

Hi,
I just returned from a trip to Portugal and the entire time I was there I marvelled at how unaccessible the country would be for anyone in a wheelchair or even someone who is not in relatively good physical condition. I traveled from Lisbon northward to Porto so I can only speak for that area but there are virtually no wheelchair ramps, the elevators in many places are too small for a wheelchair, most monuments do not have elevators and where there are stairs there is often not a railing. Further, all the cities I went to were extremely hilly (Lisbon, Sintra, Coimbra and Porto) and I was exhausted at the end of the day. You may have better luck in the south or at a resort but I can't help you with that. Good luck and sorry to be the bearer of bad news.