Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   JUST BACK FROM LONDON AND THE COTSWOLDS WITH MY HUSBAND AND TWO TEEN DAUGHTERS. (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/just-back-from-london-and-the-cotswolds-with-my-husband-and-two-teen-daughters-40837/)

Carol Mar 24th, 1999 02:14 PM

JUST BACK FROM LONDON AND THE COTSWOLDS WITH MY HUSBAND AND TWO TEEN DAUGHTERS.

Inspite of some screw ups with British Airways booking our hotel in London and car rental, we had a great vacation. <BR>We loved London. We were only therefour days, should have been there longer and rented a flat instead of staying in a Hotel. Our Hotel _The Russell was in a very good location in Bloomsbury close to the British Museum and the University of London. But it was very tired and shabby in the inside and the breakfasts were not very pleasant.The last night in London we stayed in a hotel called the George in Earl's Court on the edgeof Kensington. It had just been renovated in 1996 and is part of an AUstrian Hotel group called K&K. Very clean, sleek, light, good breakfast, and helpful staff. <BR>Our first day we took a double decker bus tour to get the lay of the land(A very good idea). We did go to Westminster Abbey, The Tower of London(take a beefeater tour), The British Museum(primarily visiting the Egyptian Section), The National Gallery(visiting primarily the impressionist section), The National Portrait Gallery(my daughters really liked that a lot). We ordered tickets ahead of time for two plays ART and Les Mis(using Ticketmaster.uk) and it worked out very well. Both plays were excellent and enjoyed by all. We enjoyed eating out Indian Food at Cafe Lazeez in Kensington, Japanese Noodle Restaurant called Wagamama is a kick(located in the theater district and near the University of London), we had High tea atMason & Fornum(alittle pricey but well worth it). <BR> <BR>We spent two nights in the Cotswolds in alittle village called Willersey at a great Inn called The Old Rectory(near Broadway). <BR>Our favorite castle to visit inthe Cotswolds was Kenilworth Castle (the home of the Duke of Leicester, Robert Dudley). Blenheim castle in Woodstock is also worth visiting. I would avoid Warwick Castle. You should definately stop in the towns of Upper and Lower Slaughter for a visit. <BR> <BR>We drove from the Cotswolds to Windsor stopping in Henley-on- the Thames for tea at agreat teddy bear store. Windsor castle was wonderful, a definate must see. However, I would not stay in Windsor again. It is rather tacky. Eton or Henley would have been better choices. We had a fabulous dinner our last night at The Christopher Wren Hotel....we should have stayed there... I hope these comments are helpful. Please e-mail me if I can be of further help. I found this forum very helpful and almost addictive in planning our trip.

Andrew Mar 24th, 1999 06:34 PM

Carol: <BR>I had a couple of questions about your trip. <BR> <BR>Can you elaborate on your car rental screw up? <BR> <BR>What was the address of the Russell Hotel you stayed at? I have made reservations at a hotel called the Harlingford and I was wondering if it's in the same neighborhood. <BR> <BR>And lastly, we were going to travel from London to Bath and I was thinking we might go via Henley on Thames. Is is easy to get to from the city? <BR> <BR>Glad you enjoyed yourself. <BR> <BR>many thanks, <BR>Andrew

Carol Mar 25th, 1999 03:49 AM

Andrew, <BR>We booked our car through British Airways. We requested an automatic. Our voucher said automatic but before we left I called to see if we could upgrade to a larger car and found out that Alamo/National had us down for a manual. We were able to resolve the situation however I would reccomend booking your car directly with the car rental agency. Our Hotel was in Russell Square in Bloomsbury, a great location. I would have preferred a smaller hotel. It is not difficult to drive out of the city and Henley is charming.

catherine Mar 25th, 1999 04:34 AM

Hi Carol, <BR>I enjoyed reading about your trip.We are not going to England this time,but I love to read about it.It helps with the homesickness. <BR>I wonder why you didn't like Warwick castle ? I have never been. <BR>Everyone should post when they come back from a trip.It makes for interesting reading.

Kathy Mar 25th, 1999 06:05 AM

Carol: How happy I was to read your opinion of the K & K George in London. <BR>We, too, have booked a package with BA, and we will be staying there for 5 nites in June. Please elaborate more on that hotel, location, etc. We are a party of 3 (we will take our 17 year old daughter) and we are doing the big Europe trip this summer! Did you buy the London for less Travel Card before you left from the British Tourist Authority? Tell me where you went in London. We will leave London and go to Paris, Rome, Florence, Venice and then into Austria. We will be gone a month, and I am so excited that I am already thinking about packing. Email me any info that you have. What kind of screwups did BA make? Thanks Kathy

outa curiosity Mar 25th, 1999 06:27 AM

I was planning to visit Warwick Castle; what did you find wrong with it?

Carol Mar 25th, 1999 01:13 PM

Warwick Castle is like a Disney Site. <BR>They have wax figures in some rooms dressed up to do battle and sound effects of battle scenes. I prefer seeing castles that are not made over. <BR>The sound effects where not necessary <BR>either. There also tacky gift shops and restaurants there as well.

Gauri Warudi Mar 25th, 1999 07:11 PM

Hi, <BR> Would you know where one could get the correct Email address/tel no. of the Indian YMCA in London? <BR>Also we wanted some guidance on an economical self-catering aptt in London.We wil be visiting London bet May19-26.

Kathy Mar 26th, 1999 05:54 AM

Carol: Please read the about posting from me and answer. I tried to email you twice directly, but the message was returned both times. <BR>Thanks Kathy

B.Irving Mar 26th, 1999 06:12 AM

I have been to a number of castles in England. I have been to Warwick Castle twice. It can be alittle tacky & I know they have wax figures there, but there was so much else to see & do at the castle, that in the 2 times I was there, I never even went into the rooms with the wax figures. The dungeon area gives a good display of what that room may have been actually like in any number of castles. It is a popular castle because it is in such good shape, & therefore can be crowded at times, but if you are into seeing castles, Warwick should be on the list. <BR>

Jennifer Mar 26th, 1999 01:50 PM

My husband and I are planning to visit the Cotswolds in May. Do you think it's necessary to have a car? I'd rather avoid driving if we can. Tell me more about the town and the place you stayed.

Jennifer Mar 26th, 1999 01:51 PM

My husband and I are planning to visit the Cotswolds in May. Do you think it's necessary to have a car? I'd rather avoid driving if we can. Tell me more about the town and the place you stayed. Thanks for sharing your experience!

Kate Mar 26th, 1999 02:20 PM

Carol, <BR>I'm so glad to hear you enjoyed your dinner at the Sir Christopher Wren House. I knew you'd like it!! :) <BR>

Karen Mar 26th, 1999 03:06 PM

Jennifer....do not hesitate to drive in the Cotswolds. I just don't think you can really do the area justice in any other mode of transportation. The main thing is to have a good map reader and then,also, not to worry if you miss a turn or go beyond where you were headed and just hit them later. There have been many forums here about driving in Britain. Get an automatic, decent sized car so if you get in a fender bender you'll come out okay. The little tiny roads(B) or practically cow trails are wonderful without much traffic at all. After the first mile or two you can get into the swing of left, left, left, real fast. Also, we love Warwick and think the Madame Tussaud's wax figures are done very well and add alot to the feel of life there during a certain period. I believe it is our favorite large manor home.

Carol Mar 26th, 1999 03:18 PM

I agree that a car is absolutely necessary in the Cotswolds. My husband did the driving and I did the navigating. You really do get the hang of it. The inn we stayed in the Cotswolds is called The Old Rectory. It is in the village of Willersey about one mile from Broadway. The inn is a deluxe bed & breakfast for Cotswold standards. It is next to a small church and a sheep farm right in the village. Beatiful rooms, great garden, charming innkeepers, and I thought pretty reasonable for excellent accomodations. We paid 79pounds per room for each of our two rooms. I would highly reccomend. <BR>