Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Just back from Italy - hotel reviews and going to the beach in Tuscany.

Jun 3rd, 2005, 09:51 AM
Original Poster

Just back from 17 days in Italy - 4 days Rome, 4 days Venice, 1 week Montepulciano and 2 days Florence. Definitely a dream come true. Just a few highlights: Nicholas Inn in Rome was delightful with great location, service and breakfast at very reasonable rates. Hotel Galleria in Venice was charming with a wonderful location. Politan Apartment in Montepulciano was also charming, spacious and with awe inspiring views.

We had booked all train travel and museum tickets online prior to leaving and found this to make for a very smooth trip. Thanks to all the information on this Talk site, I was able to do this fairly easily. Other travellers had complaints about their travel agents but we didn't!

And if you want to go to the beach in Tuscany, we found Castiglione della Pescaia to be delightful. Cabanas, umbrellas, and chairs are for rent on a beautifully clean beach. A small snackbar with paninis, beer and such is also there. We had a wonderful day at the beach here.

I'm not the best trip reporter but if anyone needs information that I can help with please ask.
Jun 3rd, 2005, 10:47 AM

Hey, don't worry about your report. The important thing is that you had a good time. How nice of you to return and thank the people on Fodors who helped you (not me, I'm sure).

Did you have a particular favorite city, place or restaurant?
Jun 1st, 2006, 08:17 AM

Lily - we are headed that way next week! Looking to reserve a room in Tuscany, and I also came across the Politan Apts. Can you tell me more about them - how is the location? we are looking for a quiet place to relax, and since they're in the city is it a bit noisy? thanks!
Jun 1st, 2006, 08:52 AM

Lily,
Was 1 week too much or not enough time for Montepulciano? If you could do this trip over again, would you shorten or extend your stay in any of these locations?
Thanks
Kaneohe
Jun 1st, 2006, 09:56 AM

Glad you had a great trip! We loved Nicolas Inn, too (can't believe it was already one year ago that we were there) and found Melissa and Francois charming and helpful. I liked hearing about your visit to the Tuscan beach; have read about the Tuscan coast but have not been. Sounds like it was a nice relaxing addition to your trip.
Jun 1st, 2006, 12:28 PM

How did you book Nicolas Inn? I don't see it listed on Expedia. Thanks!
Jun 1st, 2006, 01:03 PM

Lily, I do have a few questions about Venice. We are driving to Venice (first time visit) and, of course, will need to drop off our automobile. Then we will need to get to our hotel, the Al Ponte Mocenigo, in the S. Croce area. Do you have any knowledge of dropping off a car and the best place to do this? As for getting to our hotel, or any hotel, is it difficult to get luggage on boats and to hotels? With cobblestoned streets, I am having difficulty figuring out how we get to the hotel with a 25 inch suitcase and a carry-on each. The Globe Trekker show on Venice, which we watched last night, made me think about how we get luggage on a boat and to the hotel. Thanks for any info.
Jun 1st, 2006, 02:06 PM

For all those of you asking a question today, this report is a year old and Lily may not be around!
Jun 1st, 2006, 03:28 PM

Thanks for paying attention, SusanP!
I can answer your question, however, Burley:
www.nicolasinn.com
Jun 1st, 2006, 04:02 PM

SusanP, thank you. It has been a long week and a tiring day for me. I guess I wasn't paying attention and I haven't even had a glass of wine yet!
Jun 1st, 2006, 04:09 PM

Oh Shoot! I am planning a drive from Pisa to Venice and wanted to know about the car drop off and luggage things, too!
Jun 1st, 2006, 04:35 PM

There are some posts about parking in Venice and using the vaparetto to get to your hotels. I think you just haul your bags onto the vaparetto or pay more for a water taxi. If you search on Piazzale Roma you will get some previous posts about this.
Jun 1st, 2006, 06:43 PM

Thank you, annabelle2!
Oct 1st, 2006, 06:33 AM
Original Poster

My apologies but I was away in June and did not respond to these inquiries. I should check on my name more often especially when I offer to answer questions. If I can still be of help about this trip, please post here!
Oct 2nd, 2006, 02:23 PM

Hello Lily,

Glad you are still around!

We dropped off our car at the airport and took a private taxi to the San Stae stop close to the hotel. We called the hotel just before we docked and the owner came down to meet us and helped us with the luggage.

So everything worked out just fine!